Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 11:40 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question 6 week post op ACDF - What questions to ask surgeon?

I will be going to my surgeon for a 6 week check for a 2 level ACDF C5-6 C6-7. I would like to find out what types of questions others asked. Here is what I came up with? Any fusion yet? How do I increase my ROM if you do not believe in PT? When will the muscle spasms and lump in my throat decrease? Since I had excessive swelling after surgery probably associated with bone protein what are my other concerns relating to bone protein?
frenchfri1003 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-18-2011, 02:56 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi French ~ I can tell you right now that he WON'T see any fusion. You will not begin to see any until around a year. It takes quite awhile to begin to fuse.

I would ask him what limitations you still have. Can you drive yet. Can you get the area wet? Are you allowed to bend over or reach? How much can you lift? Do you still have to wear your collar and when can you QUIT wearing it? What can you do to gain some of your strength back?

I'm sure there are more questions, but i can't think of any more right now. My brain is a terrible thing to waste. groan. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:46 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile Thanks

Leesa, Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your questions. You are the only one who replied and I asked the same question on 3 different internet sites. I was surprised. I thought with the bone stimulator you see bone growth and beginning of fusion early. Oh well. I know the feeling about a brain being a terrible thing to waste. My mind is going.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:26 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ask how long to stay with the stimulator. I did mine for a month or two, got bored, quit it. No problems either.

After the surgery I had problems eating. I guess I asked about it, somehow I knew it was from the stuff they put down my throat, and from things being moved around. It did eventually get back to normal, but for a while I was crushing my meds, putting it in applesauce, and doing tiny licks to get it down.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:24 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink

Well, no bone growth yet. They won't prescribe PT until the 3 month mark. Only wear the soft collar when I feel it is necessary. They gave me a few stretching exercises to do and able to use 5 lb weights to strength my arms. Will use the bone stimulator until there is bone growth or fusion however long that takes. After seeing my new x rays and comparing to the ones taken 2 weeks post op the swelling has gone done quite a bit, but it is still apparent on the x rays. It will take time to go down. Still eating alot of oatmeal, applesauce, mashed potatoes, pasta, yogurt, but I am able to eat chicken now.

Hope everyone gets positive reports when they go back for their post op appointments.
Have a great day.