Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default T5-T6 help with pain....

I have a herniation at T5-T6, A newer symptom that has been coming on for about 4 months now and getting stronger. It is to the point of an Extreme stabbing pain from the t5-t6 area straight thru my body to the front of my chest. The Doc. said it is unrelated to my disc injury. I told him BS, I only get the pain after being active (doing chores,, etc..) and when I get the burning pain around the area.

Does anyone have/had this type of stabbing pain from the t5-t6 straight thru your chest...?
pooleo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleo View Post
I have a herniation at T5-T6, A newer symptom that has been coming on for about 4 months now and getting stronger. It is to the point of an Extreme stabbing pain from the t5-t6 area straight thru my body to the front of my chest. The Doc. said it is unrelated to my disc injury. I told him BS, I only get the pain after being active (doing chores,, etc..) and when I get the burning pain around the area.

Does anyone have/had this type of stabbing pain from the t5-t6 straight thru your chest...?
The stabbing pain doesn't sound good. I don't have a herniation at T5-6 but do have problems from T4-7. For me, when this area acts up, it feels like someone has a knife in my back near the spine and the knife is being twisted. I also have nerve pain wrapping around the to the front of the chest. It feels like someone has a wrench around my chest and squeezing. I think each person reacts differently to the pain and it also depends on where the nerve compression is.

I'd suggest getting a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion.
Sheri_TOS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:07 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the info, I just feel like these doc. look at me and are saying, well your only 26, your young, blah blah blah. The surgeon came right out and told me he would not operate on my lower back (L5-S1) herniation because I was so young. It just feels like a big circle jerk. Almost like these doc. are under supervision and always looking over there shoulder to see who watching them....thats the vib I get anyhow. Like there affraid to do what "Needs" to be done.
pooleo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:55 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleo View Post

Yes, your doc is full of kaka. I have clinical training, 20 yrs clincial experience and 4 level thoracic disc herniations with associated chest pain. The problem is treating them....
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Most doctors do NOT like to operate on the T area (thoracic) because it's so close to major organs (heart, lungs). Things have to be pretty desperate before they will ~ and you have a hard time FINDING a surgeon who will even do it then!!

As for the lumbar, the doctors are right - you are pretty young for that kind of surgery. You see, once you have surgery, things are NEVER the same. And after surgery, other levels will fail too because they have to take on more of the load due to the previous surgery you had. So it's a never ending cycle. Pain is NEVER a reason for surgery - Surgery does NOT correct pain. Most of the time you will still have the pain after surgery. Surgery only corrects mechanical problems ~ but your pain will still be there.

I've had 2 open surgeries - not the minimally invasive kind. But this holds true for the minimally invasive surgeries. I'm now disabled due to the surgeries, and have permanent sciatica. Most of the rest of the discs have either bulged or herniated, but I'm now deemed inoperable. My only option is pain management. You too would be best served by pain management or physical therapy. Ask your doctor for a referral. Best of luck and God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote