Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I Think I'm Getting Better, But..

Since I was 3 years old I have been playing soccer. It wasn't until I was 9 that I found a true love for Goalkeeping. However, that love has come with a cost. Since I was 10 years old I have received 6 concussions, 1 torn MCL, and 8 broken noses. It wasn't until recently that these injuries have started to affect my everyday life, specifically my concussions.

My two most recent concussions (April and June 2010) have taken a rather large toll on me. I was a Freshman at a Division 1 Program. During my inaugural Fall season, I was red-shirted and didn't get a chance to get on the field until the following season in the Spring. The Spring season is an exhibition season where most of the regulars play the first 25 minutes, and the recruits and Freshman play the rest. Lucky for me, the starting GK and the backup were both injured and for the double header up at Yale in April 2010 I was going to be starting both games.

However it seemed my luck ran out rather quickly when an unanchored goal was blown down on top of my head just as I was warming up before our first game. A moment after it had happened I felt perfectly fine, no blood, no loss of consciousness, no memory loss. Our trainer did a check on me, said I was fine and played the games. During the games however, I found it hard to communicate with my teammates. I was misplace words, constantly stutter, and call out incorrect orders. For example instead of telling my fullbacks to "push up", I would yell incoherent orders that barely resembled what I was actually thinking. Another thing I noticed was that my hands were subtly shaking throughout each game. At first I thought it was nerves, but it continued all the way until I was in my bed back at my dorm later that night.

Over the next few weeks there weren't any improvements. Classes that were easy now became rather challenging. I would constantly forget things, where I was, what day it was, why I was in my room, when my paper was due. When I went to my neurologist she just told me I might have PCS and just sent me on my way.

That's when the rage came. All the way until August, I would just grow severely angry over the simplest things. However, by September most of my sypmtoms had subsided and we actually found a neurologist and a neurosurgeon who actually knew what they were treating and now it seems like I'm back on the right track.

However, recently I have found that I have a major sensitivity to sound and light. Things that were formerly quiet are now too loud, things that were normally lit are not like automobile brights. I haven't had any TBI's since June 2010 and have quarantined myself from all contact sports.

Does anyone have an idea why I am suddenly seeing these symptoms to light and sound after it seemed that I was actually getting better.
MullyGK1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-21-2011, 03:41 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Concussion is a process more than an event. When the brain is injured, the damaged cells try to recover but after some time, some of them give up and die. Then, the neighboring cells send out a signal that causes all of the damaged cells that are compromising the brains function to die. I learned that this signal is sent out by tRNA (transmitting RNA) This process can start in a few days or not until five or six weeks later or more.

You have had more than six concussions. Each broken nose should be considered a concussion, too. You likely have a large number of sub-concussive impacts from the various jolt to your head from things as simple as catching a hard kick.

What have the neurologist and neurosurgeon done that has helped?

You sensitivity to sound and light is very common for PCS. Sunglasses and foam ear plugs can be a big help. The memory struggles at school will likely return from time to time, based on your stress load and health.

If your trainer has not already done so, you need to take a long time off the field and consider your options for your life. It is very likely that you have exhausted the ability of your brain to recover. Continuing to put your brain at risk will put your life, livelihood and future enjoyment of life in serious jeopardy.

There are many on this forum who have suffered multiple concussions and now struggle with permanent symptoms.

The rage and other personality changes can radically change your life as they cause you to lose friends and alienate family. I have been through many personality changes, none for the better. It takes a strong support system of family and friends to deal with the outbursts and other personality issues. Eventually, you will need to have them help you avoid the outburst/rage triggers and run interference when you explode.

Get Dr Glen Johnson's TBI Survival Guide by download at http://www.drakecenter.com/file.axd?...vivalGuide.pdf
or read it online Chapter by Chapter at www.tbiguide.com

You seriously need to get all the truth about concussions so you can plan your life. There are many ways you can change your life (nutrition, lower stress, and better choices) to make living with PCS tolerable.

We are here for any questions you may have.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Grady Lady (01-23-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 05:38 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am so sorry to hear about your concussions. This is especially difficult for a talented and dedicated athlete at the top of your game. There is grief involved with what you are going through, and anger can be part of grief. There may be many neurological and chemical reasons for the anger, but grief can contribute. You have lost a lot over the past year. Be gentle with yourself. It sounds like the anger is subsiding and that is good.

I do know that my daughter experienced high sensitivity to light and sounds after the concussion and it has gotten better over time.

If you are playing against Yale in soccer, it is possible that you attend an Ivy league college or another similar college. It is an intense environment. I would suggest that you think about a lighter class load, so that you give your brain time to heal. Maybe even take a semester to do something totally different and less stressful than school. You may have just kept going since the concussion, as young adults are apt to do (100 miles an hour!). But true brain healing can't happen without a restful environment. Make sure you are getting sleep. You can get a medical request for a single room in your dorm, etc.

Take good care!
snowdaykids is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:33 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdaykids View Post
It is an intense environment. I would suggest that you think about a lighter class load, so that you give your brain time to heal. Maybe even take a semester to do something totally different and less stressful than school. You may have just kept going since the concussion, as young adults are apt to do (100 miles an hour!). But true brain healing can't happen without a restful environment. Make sure you are getting sleep. You can get a medical request for a single room in your dorm, etc.

Take good care!
Thanks. I was actually attending a school that tries to act Ivy League, but will never be one. Well either way, I had to leave the school. My first semester GPA was only a 3.0, and after those last two concussions my GPA dropped to a 1.7 and I was too embarassed to go back, especially due to the fact that I had a low GPA and I am not allowed to play any contact sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
What have the neurologist and neurosurgeon done that has helped?
They pretty much had me doing physical therapy for my brain. I had to go back to the basics and relearn a lot of things. In the beginning it was rather annoying just doing really simple stuff again, but I started to realize how big the problem was when I would have trouble just trying to re-draw something that the Neuro showed me or put little pegs back in place with only my left hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
You sensitivity to sound and light is very common for PCS. Sunglasses and foam ear plugs can be a big help. The memory struggles at school will likely return from time to time, based on your stress load and health.
Yeah I just went out yesterday and picked up a pair of prescription sunglasses and bought a pair of earplugs to shove into my wallet and take them out if I'm some place where I can't turn the volume down. (movies, concert, etc.)
MullyGK1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:05 AM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I know how you feel. I was a near 4.0 and dropped to a 2.7. I changed directions and started attending a local community college. The culture and stress was much less.

I found plenty of accomplished students at the community college to keep me challenged. Joined an Honors Service Society (Alpha Gamma Sigma) and did well. Did some tutoring and work-study/internships. It worked out well.

I never did graduate. Started my own business and made such good money that a degree was no longer a goal. Ended up buying my first house at 21.

Just remember, there are many roads to your destination. The less traveled roads may be more suited to your needs.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote