Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 04:30 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default seems my only symptoms come from stimulation overload ..help

I have no memory issues, no cognitive issues etc... All my symptoms headache noise sensitivity start once I start getting overloaded. A half hour conversation w someone can do it..reading too much. 10 mins on computer or tv

So how do I get thru the day? I'm sick of isolating myself. I'm sick of crying.
I have 3 kids and I need to function more w out getting stabbing headaches from overload

I need a plan. Any suggestions out there?
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-21-2011, 09:10 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

You need to get everybody on board with you as you try to avoid the overload. the medical term is called 'over-attending.' You brain tried to attend to too much for too long.

You family has a serious vested interested in helping you avoid overload. They need to help you pace yourself through the day. You might do well to have a kitchen timer that you can set to 20 minutes. Then, you take a break and recharge before you start up again.

If you pay attention to yourself, you will likely notice some signs that you are about to overload. If you start to lose focus trying to listen or your eyes start to struggle to follow the text, or sounds start to get mixed up or you just get a brief moment of feeling spaced out, stop what you are doing and take a break.

You may even be able to get your family to help you recognize when you are at your limit. My wife can easily tell when I am hitting overload.

The more you can avoid the overloads, the better your chances that your brain will heal. The overloads are like taking steps backward in your healing.

Sit down with your kids and get real basic about your brain's needs. Even little ones can understand that your brain needs to heal. Don't underestimate their ability to become actively involved in helping you heal.

It will take some true exposure of humbleness on your part. Don't think you need to prevent them from worry. That is in the past. You can help them learn empathy, service, even sacrifice.

You may need to do some serious household modifications. You need to minimize the visual stimuli. Get some moving boxes and remove lots of visual stimuli from the walls, etc. Clear open visual areas may help you.

Bare walls may be boring but your brain needs boring right now. You will be surprised how a boring environment will help you.

btw, When you are having a conversation, try closing your eyes. It may help you not get overloaded during the conversation.

Hope this helps.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
aireyden (01-22-2011), Grady Lady (01-23-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 08:15 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark...I'm a mom...I know I do too much..I think walking room to room is too much for me sometimes and ii do take breaks in our quiet living rm. I am going to set the timer like you said. I think the commotion of the kids home on weekends sets me off on mondays so the timer might do the trck there too

I was hoping to "add" stimulation gradually like soap operas.. 15 mins at a clip.. (When the house is quiet).

I'm really stir crazy when they're in school... But once I "eave the house ..even drive 10 mins I'm overstimulated.

Is driving that stimulating? I have no prob w reaction time or ability...its what happens when I get home..I'm fried
Old 01-23-2011, 12:56 AM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I understand the driving situation. When you are driving, there are thousands of thinks coming at you at your driving speed and some at twice that. That is a lot of visual stimulation.

It took me quite some time to get used to riding shotgun when I stopped driving. I had to learn to focus far from the car where things do not move so fast. I do much better at night because I can only see within the area lit up by the head lights.

I messed up my Worker's Comp claim because I could not handle the over-stimulation of a form with so many empty spaces to fill out.

I know how you feel. I was miserable for quite some time, and we only had two dogs (beagles) and one 17 year old daughter living with us. The dogs were actually very therapeutic. My female seemed to understand my bad times. My male was good company too. I spent a lot of time walking them in the open fields behind our house.

Have you tried any manual tasks that require some but not intense attention? Knitting, crocheting, painting, other craft work?

I did some manual but simple tasks that worked very well for me.

btw, I took a big step tonight. I went to a social event with my wife. It was the Coronation Gala for the Idaho Rodeo Queen with about 150 people in one large majestic house. I did OK for a while but then needed to take breaks outside away from voices. After coming back in from a break, I tracked down my wife. Before too long, I needed to get away again. I felt like my head was caving in. No real pressure but this eerie feeling of everything just starting to close in.

I hadn't felt that in years. Forgot about that experience from the past. Now, I have a mud head ache.

Have you had a good sit down talk with your family? You need their help to get better. The roller coaster will go on and on if they don't help you on the weekends and such. Trust me and your kids. They will not let you down if you are upfront and honest with them.

Please, give it a try. When my wife and daughter finally understood, everything changed. And for the much better.

My best to you.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark I was hoping to be over this soon...sounds like you don't think so.

Driving...I have to on occasion in town for the boys...my friends have been great and my husb can only do so much ..works over an hour away

I need this to e over soon! Wouldn't you think w no mental disabilities..counting change reading comprehending etc that it should be?

Seeing a new neurologist on tue in ny
Old 01-23-2011, 03:26 PM #6
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

There are no 'rules of thumb" as to how long PCS symptoms will last.

I think the most important thing for you to consider is simply this. How can you minimize the overloads so that you can have longer periods between overloads?

Healing will happen best with long periods between overloads. You appear to be taking 10 steps forward then 9 steps back. You need to have 20 steps forward with only 9 steps back. Eventually, the decompensations (relapses) will become less intense, especially as you learn to lengthen the time between decomps.

For the short term, you need a serious lifestyle change. This means good family support, etc.

I have been suffering form PCS since 1965. I have had many 're-injuries' along the way. Each successive injury took more effort to recover. My last injury in January 2001 left me with some permanent disabilities. I spent the first year trying to ignore my problems and just forge ahead. I was miserable and those around me too.

Once I had some good diagnostics done, I accepted and understood my symptoms as real and was able to start focusing on reducing or avoiding the triggers.

I still test just a bad as I did in February 2002 but I have made leaps ahead in function by learning to avoid triggers and to work-around or accommodate my symptoms. The frustration of fighting against the symptoms only made them worse.

Many on the forum will appear to have recovered fully. Studies show that their symptoms can return in a flash with the right trigger or stress load. So... even recovering ?fully? requires one to still live as a PCS sufferer.

I started changing my work situations back in 1978 when I first realized how stress was effecting me. I made several changes since then as my tolerance for stress have weakened. When I hit my 40's, thinks got much worst. The brain loses a lot of its healing ability during the 40's.

In 1982, I had to give of my dream of flying as a private pilot because my brain did not tolerate the stresses of altitude.

Find you limits. Learn to live within them. Then, hopefully, you will regain some ability to raise your limits.

The fact that you need to get better does not change how long it will take to get better. The anxiety will actually slow your recovery.

Nuff said. I am repeating myself.

My best to you.

"Thanks for this!" says:
ConcussedinPA (01-24-2011), Grady Lady (01-23-2011)