Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 05:21 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default headaches disappear with weight gain

My teen daughter suffered a concussion that caused numerous symptoms, but the most debilitating was headaches. She was not eating enough because of feeling so terrible. I did not realize this until she had lost almost 10 pounds. Once we became aware of this, we made a concerted effort to have her regain the weight. Under the doctor's guidance, she ate 2700-3000 calories each day for several weeks, and regained the weight. She is now back on her historic growth curve. After only 4-5 days of this high-calorie adventure, she stopped having headaches altogether and they have not returned. Her irritability, fatigue, and mental slowness have improved (not disappeared entirely). She is happier.
I just mention this in case you or your child have lost weight after the concussion. It is certainly not the answer to most post-concussion headaches, but it was a factor for us.
snowdaykids is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-22-2011, 11:22 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Glad to hear she has less head aches.

Lack of calories causing head aches makes sense. Nutrition to the brain is no different that good sleep. The brain consumes 230 to 250 calories per day on average, even more when learning new information. The brain can consume 30% of the total bodily consumption of energy (calories).

A healing brain would logically need even more calories.

One thing I find very important is a good breakfast. As I type this I am finishing a bowl of Cheerios with diced canned peaches.

The fast from overnight leaves the brain hungry. I do not normally feel stomach hunger pangs. Instead, I feel less energetic mentally.

Now, I may have an explanation for my chronic head aches the last 6 months. I have been losing weight and want to lose another 10 to get back to my proper weight. I had gained 20 pounds from being too sedentary. Now, I am getting out more and eating a bit less. But, the low grade headaches have been chronic.

Some of us may need to use the 6 meals a day diet. Six smaller meals can keep the blood sugar at normal levels without the peaks and valleys some may experience eating three bigger meals.

As they say, your mileage may vary.

My best to all.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote