Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 05:57 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused angry, lost, confused...and what am I supposed to do?

I really just need advice as I have no idea what I should be doing with my current "situation". Here are the lovely () details:

I'm 25 and have been employed with my current company for over 2 years. I work at a social service group home for aggressive teenagers...and recently sustained my fifth concussion on the job in less than a years time. This last one has sent me emotionally over the edge. I'm at constant battle with myself (I don't even feel like myself any more), my family, disability, some friends, co-workers, the whole 9 yards. After a MRI, CAT-Scan, EEG, Psychological Evaluation complete with IQ test, and Physical therapy, the neurologist states that I may not return to that line of work, that I could potentially be put on desk duty, and I need to be re-evaluated for PTSD therapy (all tests came back normal stating that it was in my head that I had diminished abilities...and stated that the dizziness, headaches, and outbursts were just something to deal with).

Work was informed of this 2 months ago, promised to return my calls, but has yet to do so. I now have an attorney and am about to give my mother power of attorney over my medical because I have no idea what I should be doing.

I'm 25...and this has all been too much for me to handle. Before this, I had just put an offer on a new house, been offered a new job with a good company, had a couple more interviews lined up, completing my applications for grad school, and now that has all been flushed down the toilet. I want to move on with my life, and if I had it my way I would have just packed my bags and let this be...no hospital stays, no tests, no stress and no slander of my name. Former co-workers ask me why I'm being so lazy and haven't picked up shifts...wtf is what I say! How dare the company that I work for not even mention that I'm still out and lead people to believe that I'm just being...LAZY! HOW DARE THEY!

I can't hardly go anywhere in town without seeing someone affiliated with the company and I immediately switch into panic mode. I can't work, can't volunteer, can't take the GRE (let alone study for it), AND can't move out! I was so close to this and this has set me back. I'm currently getting some workman's comp but dont know what I should be doing.

Has anyone else gone through a similar situation or know what the process is in dealing with workman's comp when you are told, you can't return to your job? Do I need to take my employer to court...? Will this ever end, or will I have to pack my bags and just flee to get away from this hot mess?
lady4getful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-08-2011, 08:51 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

lady4getful,

Sorry to hear of your struggles. Your situation sounds like the normal route most of us have had to negotiate as we deal with PCS. Work Comp just makes it worse because they treat you like a mushroom. They leave you in the dark and feed you bs.

First, you need a Work Comp attorney and right now. Go to www.tbilaw.com, read up on mTBI and the problems with insurance companies. See if there is a refewrral to an attorney in your area. You want someone with strong experience in mTBI.

Get a copy of all of your medical records. Keep a file of everything. Start a journal of your daily activities, successes and failures, etc. Note the comments from fellow workers.

Regarding your health condition. You have Multiple Impact Syndrome. The concussions you have suffered in just a year's time magnify each other. The injury from each successive impact causes much more damage from the same or even less force. Your last concussion likely did 10 times the damage as your first, even if it was less forceful.

Go to www.tbiguide.com and download and print out the TBI Survival Guide. You will recognize many of your symptoms.

Regarding your job, If you were injured each time due to the aggressiveness of the residents, your employer should have done something to better protect you. A good mTBI attorney should be able to tell you how this effects you ability to recover damages to help with your future.

Regarding your future. You will be learning a great amount this coming year as you navigate the PCS world. If your grad school direction was in counseling or other therapy/social work areas, there is a great need for such workers who really understand PCS. And PCS with PTSD is even in greater need for good professionals. Take it slow and learn from your own life experiences.

Most of all, try to lower stress in your life. Limit your exposure to stressful environments. Try to moderate your reactions to others, even if you have to turn and walk away. It is not worth the stress on your brain. Try to limit your caffeine intake. Get good rest. Get good nutrition for your brain. It needs B vitamins, folic acid, D3, omega 3's, anti-oxidants, etc. You might benefit from a hormone assessment. All hormones, thyroid, etc should be assessed. A concussion can send your hormones on a roller coaster ride.

There is lots more but it would help if you posted more about your struggles. Tell us specifics. There are years, more like decades of experience on this forum.

Keep in touch.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
concussion, work injury, workers' compensation