Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 05:15 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Lumbar Discectomy outcome

Hello,

I am from thre PN forum but I have just had spine surgery. L3-L4 & L4-L5.
I need a bit of help with below dilemna. I have foot drop in left foot. I had foot drop for less than 3 days before my operation.

This is my 3rd day home from hospital. This is now 6 days post-op. I still have foot drop. My concern is that since leaving hospital I have leg pain like sciatica in my bad leg. The surgeon thinks that the nerve was traumatised so it will continue to hurt. Since this is my 2nd discectomy at the same level, I remember the first one eleviated ALL leg pain. I know every surgery is different, but my concern is that something might still be pressing on nerve and if so my foot won't have a chance to heal.

The surgeon swares he got all the protruding disc material out and this is normal. I just don't understand enough I guess andI don't know what I should do now.
Anyone gone through this, or any thoughts would be appreciated. BTW dad has had 4 back surgeries and says no leg pain should be present.

Thank you,
Aussie
Aussie99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-16-2011, 06:03 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Aussie ~ if you didn't have sciatica BEFORE surgery, it seems funny that you'd have it now. The only thing i can think is that it is swollen in there due to the surgery being around that area (L3-4 & L4-5) and just the swelling could be putting pressure on the sciatic nerve.

You should be putting ICE on your back for 20 minutes every 2 hours. This will reduce the inflammation as well as the pain. DO NOT USE HEAT -- this will draw blood to the heated area and increase inflammation and swelling. My Neuro taught me this - and it makes sense.

If your pain does NOT reduce within a reasonable length of time, call your surgeon. You don't want to end up like me -- I have permanent sciatica due to a botched surgery. And ya know what?? IT HURTS!!!!

I wish you the very best ~ PLEASE let us know how you do. God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aussie99 (02-21-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 05:06 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Hi Aussie ~ if you didn't have sciatica BEFORE surgery, it seems funny that you'd have it now. The only thing i can think is that it is swollen in there due to the surgery being around that area (L3-4 & L4-5) and just the swelling could be putting pressure on the sciatic nerve.

You should be putting ICE on your back for 20 minutes every 2 hours. This will reduce the inflammation as well as the pain. DO NOT USE HEAT -- this will draw blood to the heated area and increase inflammation and swelling. My Neuro taught me this - and it makes sense.

If your pain does NOT reduce within a reasonable length of time, call your surgeon. You don't want to end up like me -- I have permanent sciatica due to a botched surgery. And ya know what?? IT HURTS!!!!

I wish you the very best ~ PLEASE let us know how you do. God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee
Hi Leesa,

Thank you for your reply.I have been unable to log on for some reason.I did have sciatica before surgery,but was under the impression that the operation would instantly remove pressure from the nerve and alleviate all sciatica. I can't figure out why i still have leg pain, with no back pain.
Aussie99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:43 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well, I wish I could tell you, but here i sit 26 years later after 2 surgeries, and i still have it too. No one can tell ME why either!! I was just told that it is permanent and i have to live with it. How nice. The surgeon just wanted to get rid of me as fast as he could --- all he did was ask me what he could do for me -- If I'd asked for $10,000 I think he would have given it to me -- he seemed panic stricken. Couldn't figure him out.

Wish i could help you. Perhaps if you went to a teaching hospital -- is there one near you? You'd probably get a better answer there. Best of luck. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:36 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Surgeries differ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie99 View Post
Hello,

I am from thre PN forum but I have just had spine surgery. L3-L4 & L4-L5.
I need a bit of help with below dilemna. I have foot drop in left foot. I had foot drop for less than 3 days before my operation.

This is my 3rd day home from hospital. This is now 6 days post-op. I still have foot drop. My concern is that since leaving hospital I have leg pain like sciatica in my bad leg. The surgeon thinks that the nerve was traumatised so it will continue to hurt. Since this is my 2nd discectomy at the same level, I remember the first one eleviated ALL leg pain. I know every surgery is different, but my concern is that something might still be pressing on nerve and if so my foot won't have a chance to heal.

The surgeon swares he got all the protruding disc material out and this is normal. I just don't understand enough I guess andI don't know what I should do now.
Anyone gone through this, or any thoughts would be appreciated. BTW dad has had 4 back surgeries and says no leg pain should be present.

Thank you,
Aussie
I have had five lumbar surgeries and each one at least involved L5-S1. Each surgery became more invassive and post op neuropathy increased. I now live with it full time. My lumbar is now all cages and rods. The spinal surgeon who has been doing the work since 2000 told me straight up that he could stablize my spine but wouldn't dream of saying that the pain level would decrease. He also said it could increase.

If it was a real invassive surgery with multiple levels, the nerve could be pretty angry for a while. I wouldn't blame it. I would be more concerned about the foot drop. Best wishes.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aussie99 (02-21-2011)