Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 11:03 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Lightbulb Electric Back Massager and Chest Pain

This is going to sound really weird...my girlfriend just bought a back massager for me and we used it last night for the first time. It's a pretty powerful unit that felt like if I had fillings in my head they'd rattle out. I have to admit that as a chronic back pain sufferer, the massager felt really good. However, later in the evening I began to experience discomfort in my chest. Sort of a dull ache, with a small amount of pressure. The ache feels like it's centered right over my heart. It has continued through the day and I'm still feeling this way into the evening. I took my Blood Pressure and noticed that it was about 20 pts higher than normal. The BP has come down some over the course of the day, but the discomfort is still present in my chest. Has anyone ever experienced anything similar or perhaps knows what could be causing this sensation? I know that chest pain can sometimes be caused by back problems and/or gas and I have experienced this before in the past on occasion. But to be honest, this feeling is a little different. I'm 44, no history of heart problems, I've had high BP in the past but it's under control now. Any ideas? Thanks so much!
originaljuan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 PM #2
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Default Dude!

Chest pains - especially with pressure - are not to be ignored. At the very least, please call your doctor.

Google: angina symptoms

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:57 PM #3
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Have you had any imaging, or Drs assessment of your back pain?
If so what was the cause or diagnosis?
What levels are affected?

I'm thinking the massager was too strong, or used to vigorously, and worsened /irritated the areas of the spine/muscles that is the problem spot.

muscle spasms can seem like a heart issue - but it is always good to have it checked out - just so you know if it is or isn't.

Tags
chest pain, electric massager