Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 08:45 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default pain meds for headache or migraine meds?

I have tried Fioricet (aceteminaphin, caffeine and sm amount of sedative) which is pain relief....(works a bit) but have been told that migraine meds work better. I have a sample for Maxalt 10.

what have you guys tried and works??

I know my symptoms come from stimulation overload (which happens quickly for me)
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-12-2011, 07:33 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default tried them all

Nasal lidocaine spray EARLY EARLY EARLY kicks 99% of my migraines. Get Rx for compounded spray from ur doc not OTC. Also compounded rx co-q10 and ribomag work WONDERS in prevention. Don’t waste $$ on non-rx supplements. They are not fda controlled since they are supplements so the stuff in ur local health food-GNC-Vitamin Shoppe many contain little to none of the co-q10 and costs 3x+ more for less potent formulation. Also giving up ALL other OTC NSAIDS like ibuprofen and etc will help u break the rebound headache cycle. Oxygen greatly helped me. GOOD news all are narcotic free so no rebound habituation risk.

Maxalt and triptans worked very well for me until I developed triptan sensitivity tho not too common usually a good doc will give u a dose if u go with a beginning migraine (I know the devil's in timing). I had trouble breathing. I used maxalt with great results for years though. Maxalt in particular the sub-lingual bypasses ur stomach and goes right to the source. Our stomach sometimes shuts down during a migraine so a pill might never be processed in time.

The lidocaine, co-q10, and ribomag (last two daily preventative) are about $60 w/o insurance at the mail-in pharmacy I use. Some of the triptans are $1500+ w/o insurance so that might matter to you.

The biggest key is taking it EARLY if u hoard meds b/c u think it MIGHT not be a migraine ur waiting too late for these types of meds to work. Best advice I ever got was if YOU think it might be one it is. Take a full-prescribed dose IMMEDIATELY. No fitzing with half doses or waiting or doing NSAIDS.

I've been through daily migraines-3x/week-menstrual & other cycles of repetition. This regimen broke all of that. Also there are many free podcasts for guided meditation for pain and relaxation that done daily are a HUGE help. My favs are meditation oasis, the chopra center for well-being, Emmitt Miller MD, & the meditation podcast by Jesse & Jeane Stern. U don’t have to go thru iTunes they all have their own sites but it’s easier for me since I have iPods. I like the guided ones b/c the stress voices of pain in my head are better silenced if someone walks me thru.

Also Inderal ER 80 mg has fewer side effects than topomax and works for many friends with MH's. I could never tell for me.

Forgive the syntax—slow typing today.
Best of luck.
d0gma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:07 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

back when I had what they called complex migraines (stroke-like occurances), Advil was the best thing. Anything that takes inflammation down worked for me. Then I found out I was having migraines from eating MSG or nuts. Maybe that type of reaction is so unrelated, an anti-inflammitory wouldn't even work for you but I noticed it really is the same thing that works for my PCS. Inflammation is my worst enemy.
freezerdoor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:29 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default my migraine med fails

I have tried Maxalt and other 5-HT receptor agonists with an actual worsening of the headache. I have also tried amitriptiline in doses of up to 50mg a day with little success except a good sleep which is very helpful.
I serendipitiously happened upon prednisone due to a throat infection that with two succesful short term usages were good, however, a third which was not. Indomethacin has worked, yet, seems to be running its efficacy course and doubling is no good for the intestinal fortitude.

I am currently well over a year closing in on two and in a "relapse" looking for non migraine answers to a non migraine problem.
Nails is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:08 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I know this is against the rules for PCS (overload of caffeine and sugar) but when mine is at it's worst a Caramel Frappe from McDonald's works.

I generally try ibuprofen and relaxing first. Then I use muscle relaxer. It slows me down just a notch and that allows the headache to let up enough so I'm functional.

P.S. Even if they are technically migraines they are of the PCS type and may require different treatment than typical migraines. People without PCS can not understand a PCS headache.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:26 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

omg i agree with that...even the neurologist don't understand the headache
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote