Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Things to look forward to, happy thoughts and coping skills

I complain non-stop. I have to stop and start thinking ahead, to try and find the silver lining, to make myself happy and stop RSD from taking my life completely so I think I'll start this thread.

Please, everyone post happy, daily/weekly/monthly/yearly goals or accomplishments. Post the silly things that happen that make you smile, please share with all of us so we can share in your happiness, etc

My kids make me happy (some days), and they have to get ready for their dairy goats to kid. This time, we have two does that are expecting and are super excited. This will be our second year of kidding - the first year we only had one doe pregnant, and one baby. This year, our "first official farm" baby is expecting! We are starting the count-down now, as our older doe is expecting within a few weeks.

Last year, I did the milking. I didn't have the problems in my arms and hands as I do now. After my Dec 2010 SCS implant with paddles, the RSD spread or flared (whatever the doctors call it), so my goal this month is to be able to milk Snow. I posted a few pictures of my critters in the photo gallery so you can see them.

My goal for today is to make sure I have all my information for when my attorney calls tomorrow regarding my SSI claim. I have to get all my surgeries, my treating doctors, my previous doctors and my meds.

My other goal is to have completed this week - my kids are in a new 4H club this year that I helped start. We are applying for a start-up grant so I have to get this written out, approved by our club and then hopefully approved by the 4H Grant Council.

Anyone else want to share? Maybe it will help us accomplish these goals, as well as share our happy events/thoughts.
Patti_Christmas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (02-22-2011), SallyC (02-26-2011), soxmom (03-01-2011)

advertisement
Old 02-22-2011, 11:51 AM #2
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Wow!! You sure are busy!! What's RSD? How does it present in symptoms?
I like the idea for this thread...it's sometimes difficult to think of the positive in life when you don't feel well...

I am having a wonderful time with our puppy and am so grateful that DH and the kids got him for me. He has brought new life into our empty nest, and keeps me hopping!

I'm also grateful for my awesome DH...what a supportive guy! We started going together when I was in 8th grade, which makes this 42 years we've been together. I'm one blessed girl!!

I am also so blessed to have a wonderful neuro...he's conservative with treatment and also really encourages nutrition and exercise. I thank God for him daily!

As for goals, that's a tough one...working on that!!
SallyC (02-26-2011), soxmom (03-01-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 11:55 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Good idea for a thread! We need some positive stuff around here.

I noticed a daffodil sprouting up in my neighbors backyard. I know it's early but we've had such warm weather here that lots of trees and bushes are budding. Come on Spring!

Next......
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-22-2011, 12:08 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for sharing! Make sure to take pics of the daffodil if you can!

What kind of puppy did you get? I have three boston terriers (one is 7 and the other two are going on 6!), a persian cat (2 years old), three barn/stray cats, 3 Holland Lop Rabbits (one male named Sonny and his two wives - Honey and Midnight) and two Nubian goats (Snow and Christmas Acres Evening Star - Eve for short). My kids are in 4H and they also show their animals in sanctioned events. My daughter does well in the Dairy Goats so far and she is in for a surprise - we are buying her two more does this spring! My son is 17, a senior and he prefers no winter chores (ha), so he shows market goats (this are usually purchased in the spring and auctioned at the fairs). He has taken Grand Champion Heavy Weight for 3 years in a row, and Reserve Champion Overall 3 years in a row. He also competed in Michigan's last State Fair in Detroit and placed as Reserve Champion. We have deposits on two wethers currently and looking for a third.

RSD is Reflex Sympathetic Nerve Disorder or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. It affects your nerves, and the symptoms are pain, tingling, numbness - a whole bunch of stuff. It is not fun, and it also can become controlling.

I am currently "controlled" by it, and decided to try to beat it mentally if not physically as of today! I hate being a mush-head, so I am trying to stay upbeat and accomplish things instead of putting off until I can "think clearly". I am going to make myself stay "clear headed". I thought by putting goals in writing and sharing with others, maybe it would be a good incentive to accomplish them.

Enjoy your puppy! Share more about him/her!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (02-23-2011), soxmom (03-01-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 05:38 PM #5
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

awww I want a puppy! it would freak out my cat.

happy, happy...hmmm...its been a bad day, but happy?????

I am home, safe, and my shower is over. The DH is cooking dinner and i have no chores left on my list today. There is something happy if you look.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (02-23-2011), soxmom (03-01-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 05:49 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
awww I want a puppy! it would freak out my cat.

happy, happy...hmmm...its been a bad day, but happy?????

I am home, safe, and my shower is over. The DH is cooking dinner and i have no chores left on my list today. There is something happy if you look.
You have a husband that cooks????? My husband's turn at cooking consists of ordering pizza or chinese take out. I do have a 17 yr old son that has become quite the chef (he's been cooking since 2007 after the accident). I tell him daily that one day, his wife will greatly appreciate his "house keeping/cooking" skills!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (02-22-2011), soxmom (03-01-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 PM #7
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

my hubby, let me tell you he is a great man. Cooks, cleans, sews, irons and even cleans the cat box without being asked! He was a Marine, and his little old italian momma did a great job instilling a good work ethic in the man. My problem is that he is now retired and ALWAYS under my feet. I go into the kitchen, there he is! living room, there he is! he is occupying my new TV. Bedroom, there he is! want a shower? sorry, he is in there! I arranged my projects downstairs, and he organized the basement. He really is a lovely man, but he needs a new hobby other than me!

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (02-23-2011), SallyC (02-26-2011), soxmom (03-01-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sounds like a great man (aside from the under the feet thing)! I know what you feel like though with regards to the hobby thing. I feel guilty when I suggest he does something outside of the house because he jokes about me running him off and needing time alone. I get a little angry too, because it's not like I'm alone, if he does go out, my 17 yr old son or 16 yr old daughter stays with me. I just think he needs time out so he doesn't burn out. He is very optimistic at every appointment, surgery or injection - trying to keep me positive.

Any way, back to my positive thought/goal for today. I have my injection this morning, so my goal for today is to speak with the doctor about the risks, the next step, etc. I am also going to insist on something a bit stronger in the IV sedative, as the last injection, I screamed through the entire time. Good goal huh?

I also have to make myself walk to elevator and go to the third floor for a yummy, yummy coffee (a raspberry mocha and a hot chocolate for hubby). The little coffee shop is wonderful, and much better then some of the others in our area. This is my reward for today.

Then I have to be awake and able to talk to my attorney this afternoon and go over all the information so we are sure nothing is missed, as well as the latest treatment/doctor/meds. I have it all written out all ready.

SO, everyone have a positively happy goal filled day today!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (02-23-2011), Dejibo (02-23-2011), soxmom (03-01-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 10:58 AM #9
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

My puppy is a Goldendoodle-part goledn retriever, part poodle. His mom was a goldendoodle, and his dad was a standard poodle. You can see his pic as my avatar.
We have had 4 golden retrievers over 35 years. My last one, Sanford, passed away last Nov. 18th at the ripe old age of 12...I hadn't been alone in the house without kids or a dog since 1975, so I was very lonely.
I'd seen a photo of my pup online at a breeder's website and fell in love with him.
I showed my inlaws a YouTube video of him that the breeder had posted, and started crying, because I was so lonely without a dog. After I left them, he got on phone and called his son (DH), and demanded he get that dog for me. "If you don't get that dog for her, I will!"
So I secretly emailed the breeder a few days later asking about the pup. The breeder emailed me back and told me he was already taken...
On Christmas Eve night, all of my kids and their significant others were home. DH said, "I'm going to go get Mom and Dad." "Fine," I said, not very happy because i didn't want to have to watch over them...so when they came in, I wasn't paying attention. All of a sudden I heard a commotion, and this cute little pup ran in and started jumping up and down so happy to see everyone. I was stunned! It was the puppy! The breeder was in on the surprise-that's why she told me he was sold...the kids all contributed to the cost of the pup.

He's a smart little guy...he is easy to train, and so empathetic...when I get the weepies, he comes over and kisses me over and over...he loves to follow me around and lie beside my chair. I am so blessed to have family that love me so much, esp my hubby...I forgot to add...on Christmas Eve morning, some friends came over to wish us a happy holiday. DH said, "We aren't getting a dog. Period." I told our friends I was going to divorce him, move to Copenhagen and get my own darn dog...

Last edited by Debbie D; 02-23-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: added text
Debbie D is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-23-2011, 07:56 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Such a happy story! Also an amazing and wonderful surprise.

I didn't scream through my injection today, I had about 6 or 7 hours of relief too. I think it may have been due to a different/stronger sedative.

My doctor did discuss before the procedure that he was going to call in a prescription for a different ointment. Apparently, this is a "special blend". I was super shocked that by the time we got home (just a few hours after the injection), that the pharmacy called and wanted my information! First time I haven't had to argue with this office (also first time they followed through of the first time) in over a year - maybe things are looking up.