Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 04:38 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Really Struggling

10 1/2 months post-MVA with PCS. Really struggling here. Working my business enough to provide necessities (rent, food, utilites) is too much for my head but there is no alternative. I'm working about 10 hours a week consistently and I feel like crap. There's nothing that can be done so I guess I'm just venting...
roadrunner63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-27-2011, 05:25 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi,

I can relate, I am over 1.5 years now and working but no energy for anything over that.

I am lucky in that I have been accepted into a brain rehab center to help with managing daily life issues like memory, concentration, multitasking and energy but since I started it I have been back to feeling in a fog, dizzy, nauseous, headache, and beyond exhausted.

I just feel like giving up and have been so upset.

The onlything I can say, is that we aren't alone. I don't know that I can say anything that will help you, but at least there are so many people here that can understand.

Hang in there
Tengboche is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:25 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

what are your symptoms? maybe someone can give some advice (Mark in Idaho is very helpful!)

i'm on stimulation overload from daily life!! Headaches, etc.
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:52 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark, and others, have been great about suggestions. My neuro-psych says this is pretty much the way it's going to be.

I have neurological muscle spasms and "headaches" as well as memory, attention, and word-finding issues. Any thinking activity brings on exhaustion and horrible headache (feels like pressure from the center of my head outwards with nausea at the worst times).
Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

After so long- man. I'm sorry to hear that. I'll pray for you both & wait to see if Mark pops in on this topic.
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:23 AM #6
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

roadrunner,

I forget whether you have tried applying for SSI. It is an automatic application with any SSDI application. It is supposed to be a stop-gap measure for people in dire straits.

If my wife hadn't finally found a job last Sept, we would be in serious trouble. Now, I need to catch up with some financial/tax issues. I definitely know what 10 hours a week can do.

This morning I was determined to get some past taxes done before a March 10th deadline. I need to transfer some Fed tax info to Idaho state forms. I do not have automated software available. After about ten minutes of staring at the blank state form, I already had a headache and needed to take a nap. I dozed for 3 hours.

I had a similar day earlier in the week. I overdid it the night before and was worthless until late the next day.

I know it does not help your situation but you are definitely not alone. It may seem like everything is crashing in but tomorrow will be another day. As one of the participants in my mTBI support group says, Turn the page. We can't do much about the current struggle but try to get some rest and turn the page to tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be another day. The sun will come up. You will get some rest and try it again. Eventually, you will have a better day, then two, maybe more.

Here's to hoping you have some good rest.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:56 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
roadrunner,

I forget whether you have tried applying for SSI. It is an automatic application with any SSDI application. It is supposed to be a stop-gap measure for people in dire straits.
I have NOT applied for SSDI/SSI. I have seriously considered it over the last few weeks because I can't see how I can continue long term at this rate.

I am schedule for another Neuro-Psych test April 11th and my attorney says as soon as those results are in he will work on a speedy car wreck settlement. I haven't really discussed the possibility of SSDI/SSI with my attorney.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:18 PM #8
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

You will likely qualify for SSI now and SSDI at the one year anniversary of your injury if your income has been below $1000 per month average since your injury. SSI can supplement your income in some cases. SSDI can supplement your income if your income is below $1000 per month due to your disability. PCS is considered a disability based on the ongoing symptoms.

The SSDI Blue Book explains the functions that qualify for SSDI. Here are some of the standards. If you can not perform under these standards, you likely qualify for SSDI. This is just a thumbnail shot of the various work standards. I highlighted some conditions in bold.

<# Tolerate certain environmental conditions (such as temperature extremes, wetness, humidity, noise, hazardous working conditions like moving machinery or heights, dust, fumes, odors, gases, poor ventilation, vibrations).
# See, hear, and speak.
# Maintain concentration and attention at work.
# Understand, remember and carry out instructions.
# Respond appropriately to supervisors, co-workers, and usual work situations.
# Cope with changes in the work setting. >

The important factor is being able to work under these standards for a 40 hour week. Being able to work for just ten hours per week and making less that $1000 per month after business expenses does not disqualify you.

I hope you have an attorney who understands mTBI and its long term consequences. The NP assessment will be a good tool to evaluate your recovery. It can be compared to the previous to note any changes/improvements. Has your attorney read up on mTBI at www.tbilaw.com The attorney at tbilaw, Gordon Johnson, has some serious concerns about how a NeuroPsych Assessment is done and reported.

Hope you have a better week.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:39 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
You will likely qualify for SSI now and SSDI at the one year anniversary of your injury if your income has been below $1000 per month average since your injury. SSI can supplement your income in some cases. SSDI can supplement your income if your income is below $1000 per month due to your disability. PCS is considered a disability based on the ongoing symptoms.

The SSDI Blue Book explains the functions that qualify for SSDI. Here are some of the standards. If you can not perform under these standards, you likely qualify for SSDI. This is just a thumbnail shot of the various work standards. I highlighted some conditions in bold.

<# Tolerate certain environmental conditions (such as temperature extremes, wetness, humidity, noise, hazardous working conditions like moving machinery or heights, dust, fumes, odors, gases, poor ventilation, vibrations).
# See, hear, and speak.
# Maintain concentration and attention at work.
# Understand, remember and carry out instructions.
# Respond appropriately to supervisors, co-workers, and usual work situations.
# Cope with changes in the work setting. >

The important factor is being able to work under these standards for a 40 hour week. Being able to work for just ten hours per week and making less that $1000 per month after business expenses does not disqualify you.

I hope you have an attorney who understands mTBI and its long term consequences. The NP assessment will be a good tool to evaluate your recovery. It can be compared to the previous to note any changes/improvements. Has your attorney read up on mTBI at www.tbilaw.com The attorney at tbilaw, Gordon Johnson, has some serious concerns about how a NeuroPsych Assessment is done and reported.

Hope you have a better week.

My best to you.
Thanks for the info, Mark. I think I will call my attorney today to discuss this. I do know my attorney has experience with PCS. I remember him saying early on I would need a neuro-psych test.