Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 05:50 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Post surgery marital activity

I am 3 1/2 weeks post lumbar disectomy. L3-L4 & L4-L5 My surgeon said it was ok to resume activity. So I tried it, (normal activity,nothing wild), and my tail bone felt soar afterwards. MY tailbone is still soar 2 days later. I still have sciatica as well. It was the tailbone pain that brought me to he hospital emergency to begin with. I feel no better pain wise. I called surgeon to tell him and he was dismissive of me and said "he wasn't the right person to ask about those things", and it has nothing to do with my spine. Last I checked the tailbone is the part of the spine. Anyways I am very upset because I have fallen through the cracks. I have a surgeon who doesn't want to provide any post-op care. I have pain in my tailbone and am worried I have done something to myself. I have pain in legs that is not any better. I am wondering if the tailbone pain means re-herniation, or just don't do that again and it will settle down. I have nobody to talk to and I am getting depressed.
Aussie99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-03-2011, 02:48 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ The one thing your surgeon should have told you is that pain is NO REASON to have surgery. Most often you will end up with the same pain or worse AFTER surgery. Surgery only corrects mechanical problems but it does NOT fix pain. I had the same outcome after two surgeries. I've had sciatica now for 26 years, and it's just as severe now as it was when I first went to the neurosurgeon. My doctor didn't tell me that the pain would still be there either.

I doubt seriously that you've reherniated. It's just still post-surgical pain - you're still swollen in there and you haven't healed. You MIGHT get better yet. It's much too early to tell. You won't be healed totally for several months yet. I wasn't totally healed up from my first surgery for at LEAST 6 months and possibly more - I can't remember as it was many years ago. So don't worry - you still might come out on top. But don't be surprised if you still have some pain. I hope you're a lucky one. God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:34 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you Leesa for sharing your thoughts with me. It has been a difficult road, as you also know. Not having support has been harder on me than the surgery, the pain and the foot drop. It wrecks you.
Just to have an outlet like this forum is priceless. Thank you again.
I am also very sorry to hear you have been In pain so long. It begs the question, why do things like this happen to good people???
Aussie99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:08 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Aussie ~ There again, I have to ask "Why not?" If it wasn't us, it would be someone else. Do they deserve it more than we? I can't answer that one. God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote