Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement
View Poll Results: Define intimacy and name two people that you have been intimate with.
Physical intimacy 1 100.00%
Physical intimacy
1 100.00%
Spiritual intimacy 0 0%
Spiritual intimacy
0 0%
Friendship intimacy (sharing secrets, hugs) 1 100.00%
Friendship intimacy (sharing secrets, hugs)
1 100.00%
Family intimacy (closeness to family members) 0 0%
Family intimacy (closeness to family members)
0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2011, 07:50 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default High School Reproductive Health Review Sheet

My 16 yr old daughter brought home a Review packet for her Health/Reproductive Class. She didn't feel comfortable completing the information by herself, so she did ask for our help. There were several questions that I felt were vague, out of line and just plain wrong. We helped her complete the packet, indicating answers that we were together on as a family, I also informed the teacher on the "sheets" my opinion and how we completed as a family and signed it so that they would know that I had reviewed and helped. I also notified her, the principal and the president of the school board via email what we had done, and my displeasure with many of the vague, out of line questions. I'll post the #1 question that brought the most concern and I'd like to get others opinions. The teacher did take things out on my daughter, but she only has 3 more days of class with this "teacher", so I told her to do the best she can and if she feels uncomfortable or singled out again, to ask nicely twice to be excused to go to the office to call home and on the third time if refused, to just politely say excuse me and walk out of the class and go directly to the office and call. So, here's the post, and I would appreciate your comments, and will provide the teacher's answer after I have several responses.
Patti_Christmas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-05-2011, 07:56 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Please keep in mind that this is called a "REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH REVIEW SHEET", also - all questions on this sheet related to sex education and STDs (now called STIs).
Old 03-05-2011, 12:35 PM #3
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

The question you posted seemed confusing to me...is it my cog fog or is the question not clear?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:44 PM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

No, Debbie, it is very vague. It would depend on the age of the person answering the question. And also their own personal definition of "intimacy". There can be lots of different definitions of "intimacy". I would not want my child to have to answer questions like these.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Patti_Christmas (03-05-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 01:03 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
No, Debbie, it is very vague. It would depend on the age of the person answering the question. And also their own personal definition of "intimacy". There can be lots of different definitions of "intimacy". I would not want my child to have to answer questions like these.
This is the problem I had with the question. The teacher told me that she was going towards "friendship/secrets" and not "physical" (sexual). I told her that she needs to re-word it then, ask for the different types of intimacy, and leave the listing/naming off of it. Her answer was that she would have listed or named her mom and her cousin. Could you imagine the problems if a kid listed their father, uncle, grandparent or even a T-E-A-C-H-E-R?

I also have a problem with another question she had on there regarding where a mom could drop off her baby and not have any problems. To me, this is encouraging and giving these kids and "option out" of a situation that is not one to be taken lightly. Obviously, a woman (even a teenager) has 9 months to try and figure out whether they want to keep the baby or give the baby up for adoption. If they want to be adults, to do adult things, why not teach them that they are not prepared for certain situations instead of encouraging them by giving them another option.

Sorry if it seems confusing, but this is exactly how the question was posed without the poll answers. I put the possible answers there to show where the teacher was headed, but lacked to use the correct wording. Without the poll answers, I took the question in the context of being intimate and listing "partners" (2), not as being special friends.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (03-08-2011), Kitty (03-05-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 01:19 PM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I think lots of other parents will probably chime in on this once they know what's going on. I can't believe the school system is even opening this can of worms.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:00 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I think when I sent an email to the president of the school board (who works closely with the HIPPA guidelines) and mentioned privacy on this issue, I got an "answer" from the teacher.

She was incredibly mean to my daughter on Friday, but my daughter has only 3 days left of the trimester. The school board meets again on next week, and if she continues to mistreat my daughter, then I am going to be there along with the "work sheet" for the other parents, teachers and school board members to "fill out".

This makes me angry - then when we point out issues with it, she mistreats and points out what happened in front of the class. A bunch of kids were asking my daughter why she showed her homework to her parents. Um, isn't that what parents are suppose to do? Aren't we also teachers?
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (03-08-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 02:16 PM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

IMO, that "teacher" doesn't have any business working with kids.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:22 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This teacher is totally crazy!! My daughter came home extremely upset again. She gave her a horrible grade on the paper we worked on together. Apparently, she decided that the ones that were in my handwriting were not acceptable, and counted them as "no answers".

I have a call into the principal, as well as the superintendent's office. School board meets tomorrow evening. Even as crappy as I am feeling, I will drag myself to this meeting!

I called one of my daughter's friends last night and spoke to her mom. She didn't know about all the questions on the sheet, especially the one I am really upset over. I also talked to the secretary at the superintendent's office. Both of these women could not believe this question, and agreed with me. It should not be worded this way.

I won't let my daughter take any crap from this teacher. I told her if she has any problems to call me right away. Even though the trimester ends tomorrow, there is no need for her to let it go.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:05 AM #10
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

intimacy is many things, to many people. You cant tag it on a handout and give right or wrong marks for the answers. You can only garner information about the thought process of the crowd reporting it.

This teacher needs to be reintroduced to where the line is when working with kids. If this were college level, that might be fine, but when working with teens...she needs to be schooled. I hope you report her.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote