Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 05:42 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default And it's back again..

Hi all

Had a couple of days of feeling a bit better after 6 weeks of continuous nasty PCS symptoms.

So I thought, ahhh....maybe this is the beginning of me getting back to normal. And then it came back worse than ever, no idea why.

Does anyone have any advice on how to "stay postive".
JaneLdn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If its 6 weeks since your injury you shouldnt be to worried. PCS doesnt just disappear and thats important to know. Its a progress that slowly gets better.

When you feel ok and want to live as usual it is important to keep in mind that you still have PCS and that you need to hold your horses. Its so much better to use your energy in a stable way instead of laying in bed for a long time and then try to live a few days as normal.

I am somewhat in the same situation as you right now. Have had PCS for soon 3 years and its has progressed for the better. But I have had two more small injuries to the head that has made me worse.

I have been dizzy and foggy with a headache for 2 weeks now, not been able to go to class or do much social stuff.

I have had a period of stress and to much activity that has sent me into relapse big time.

Im worried right now that this is a new injury that has occured because of exhaustion. My doctor has told me that over-stimulation that causes a big reaction can be directly damaging for the brain.

I also need something to keep me positive. I try to focus on that time makes you better. I have been in this situation a few times now and I always feel like Im gonna die. But it gets better....not good but better.

Emil from Sweden
rydellen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark in Idaho (03-07-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 08:43 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Is this the only concussion you've had? At six weeks, you really shouldn't worry, in fact if it hasn't been at least a few months you shouldn't worry, a lot of people recover in that time, others such as rydellen and myself (much fewer) longer.

Best things that helped me through the hard times were staying busy, active, and just involved in things in general. You're going to get better, its just a matter of time. I had a tendency to get really worried about when i was going to get better and I'd lay in bed all day, probably the worst thing I could have done. But if you try to occupy your time and thoughts with things (anything) other than pcs, you'll probably be better off. Stress and anxiety on top of pcs is a spiral you want to avoid. So just go about your normal day, bear in mind that it fades and comes back on in cycles like you're experiencing and dont worry so much ;-)
PCS BULL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:53 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks both. I had no idea the symptoms would 'cycle' like this. I'm sure 6 weeks seems like nothing to most people on here but the symptoms are pretty intense and constant.

I guess it's hard feeling so out of control of what is happening, plus dealing with work and what might happen in the future with my job gets to me.

I worry about doing anything to be honest. Don't know whether to try and push against my symptoms to build up some kind of tolerance if that's possible or whether to just rest when I'm not at work (I'm doing reduced hours). Really love reading but then I worry about whether I should be doing that! Aaaaarrrgggh!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:52 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I"m in the same boat...worry that when I watch tv it might bring on the symptoms. I hardly do anything but worry!!

sometimes I feel like I am babying myself...but then I do more and I suffer.
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:21 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireyden View Post
I"m in the same boat...worry that when I watch tv it might bring on the symptoms. I hardly do anything but worry!!

sometimes I feel like I am babying myself...but then I do more and I suffer.

Know what you mean. Every now and then I get a bit defiant and think I AM going to do this or that, I can cope etc. etc. and then end up really paying for it. And it can be from doing something fairly minimal.

Other times I push it a bit and the symptoms just stay at the usual level.

My symptoms were extra crap today, but I decided to just go with it. I thought well, whatever, it's been this bad before...and somehow this evening I feel a bit better. They haven't gone but being more accepting makes it easier. I'll have to practice this state of mind, it doesn't come naturally to me!

I don't know whether watching TV makes it worse. It seems likely that watching for hours would but I know it's an easy option when you have this problem..... There's always the radio, listening to discussions/plays can be nice.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:52 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Don't ever feel like you're babying yourself when it comes to this, this **** is hard. You just have to know you can get through it. When you worry constantly that you're not in control, it really makes it worse. The best thing you can do is be confident, socialize a bit, and try to keep your mind on other things, got any hobbies? And when it gets really hard, remember how many of us are in your position or have gotten through it, you're not alone in this
PCS BULL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:07 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

but how do you know your limits until its too late and you have a throbbing stabbing headache and then have to take care of two boys and a husband (who actually is very helpful...he's been wonderful).

I can't stand being on the phone for more than a few mins..for whatever reason my head feels like it was shook up after about 15 mins....same with computer and tv.

driving...another issue. I feel like crap after I've just gone food shopping for 20 mins.

how long is this going to go on???
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote