Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 07:20 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default pcs starting month after concussion

I suffered a concussion and was knocked out for about a minute from a motocross crash about 7 weeks ago. I immediately was taken to a hospital and the CT scans came back normal. I had a horrible headache the rest of that day and the next. After those 2 days though i felt fine. After 4 weeks i decided id try to get back into exercising so i starting walking on my treadmill and then progressed to a slow jog later that week. During that week i noticed headaches coming on. That weekend i had horrible headaches and decided to stop exercising. The headaches slowed down the next week and i was feeling back to normal but then the week after the headaches came back and have progressively gotten worse. I havent been exercising yet they continue to stay with me all day everyday it seems. Just looking for some opinions on why this could be happening and if I should see a doctor again. Its been about 7 weeks now since the concussion and these headaches along with nausea are making life miserable.
rick92 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-16-2011, 11:59 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

rick92,

A few weeks lag before the onset of symptoms is not uncommon. Your brain was trying to work through the injury/damage but finally gave up and shut down some brain cells. Plus, the toxins from the injury may have accumulated to a critical mass causing the onset of symptoms.

You should lay low and get some good rest and relaxation. If exercise causes symptoms, reduce the exertion level the next time. Do this until you find a level of exertion that does not cause a return of symptoms. This may be a very light workout limitation.

I bet this was not your first time getting your bell rung. This can also be a big part of your increase in symptoms. Multiple Impact Syndrome results from an accumulation of impacts, including those that did not seem severe enough to be considered a concussion.

Be prepared for a slow recovery. If you recover faster, consider it a blessing. Read up on nutrition and foods to avoid in prior posts. Search for nutrition and you will find lots of posts. With good vitamin and supplements, your brain will slowly get cleansed of the toxins from the injury. Then, it will be able to start to heal.

Think of it this way: If you have dirty or stale gas in your gas tank, you can't just add a bit of fresh gas to overcome the bad. You need to purge the tank of the bad stuff first. Then, some fresh and clean gas with some fuel system cleaner will finish flushing out your carb and engine.

Same holds true for your polluted brain.

Stay away from alcohol and caffeine except for the occasional single serving per day.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote