Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 02:23 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default is it the conversation that makes my head feel weird?

I had a friend come over to take me for a walk outside (we drove to where there are some stores) We walked around a little (stopped in a ceramics place...looks like something mindless for me to do).

We weren't gone a half hour and my head started feeling weird..sort of shook up.

Is it the conversation...walking?? what is it??

I also had my parents over yesterday for an hour and felt awful for a while when they left.

What is it?? Just thinking in general?? I can't stand this anymore....I want to get out of my house ..I feel like a hermit!!
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-17-2011, 08:58 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I had/have another condition , but what you describe fits how I felt at times.

It was like there was too much input coming at my brain all at one time.

In stores the bright lights and colors and noises.

At a family gathering or any get together I had major trouble pillowing the conversations especially if there were other talking nearby.

I understand what you are going thru.

It's very disconcerting to realize you can't multi task like you used to, but in time it may come back.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:34 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

aireyden,

It could be from both but a bit more information would be helpful.

Did this start before you got to the stores or not until after being in the stores?

I have trouble when my youngest daughter comes over and talks with my wife. At first, I try to stay in the conversation but after a short time, I have to leave. I go sit down, put my head phones on and watch TV.

As I see it or hear it, my problem is the quick back and forth of their conversation. I do best when I can watch the person speaking. My brain connects with the words better when I see the lips moving too. This is not possible when my wife and daughter talk. It is to fast back and forth. If I were to try to follow the conversation with my eyes, I would get whiplash.

I went grocery shopping today and think the scanner beeping was causing me problems. I am going to try taking my foam ear plugs the next time, IF I CAN REMEMBER ????

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Aireyden,

What you are talking about is so familiar to me. It's why I can't do too much or go out much.

We went to dinner at a friends house, and everyone was around the dinner table having conversations, and the TV was also on. My head started to hurt, and, thankfully, my husband realized what was happening. He turned off the TV. Otherwise I would have had to leave. (I couldn't handle the TV along with the conversation.)

There just was too much going on for my brain to handle.

I also can't go shopping in big department stores. I have tried twice, and both times I had to leave after ten or fifteen minutes. I got dizzy, and I started to get a headache. I just had to leave as quickly as possible.

And it's not as though I hadn't planned where I was going in the store. I had come in with the object of buying one thing: a shirt, and I headed to the correct department. It just is not something I can do yet.

It is very frustrating and very limiting. I keep hoping it will get better.

The first time that I went food shopping I couldn't do it. Now, I can as long as I just focus on my list and get in and out quickly. (Of course, that is assuming that that is the only thing that I have to do that day, and I am not having a headache....)

I don't think that anyone who has not had this PCS would ever be able to understand what we are talking about.

ShellyK
ShellyK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark in Idaho (03-18-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 06:41 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

omg thanks guys for a response. I really felt like i'm going crazy.

I started the weird feelings while we were in the car...(10 min drive). Friend and I were talking back and forth. When we got out of the car, we stopped in a ceramics place to get the prices/schedule...again talking to the owner. I had to walk away...look at the pottery pieces but still felt weird. after about 10 mins we left.

We walked around outside and I knew I just didn't feel right. So, am I supposed to push a little bit or just flat out go home?

I'm soooo sick of being stuck in my house!!

I'm going to yoga today with my neighbor -- then chiropractor later.

I really want to go out for a drink tonight (of course I'll have club soda)...with a friend. I just want to be out in the real world!! Is this going to leave me with a headache tomorrow even if I go for an hour??
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:43 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I couldn't go to restaurants for months. It sounded like garbled noise coming at me from every direction. So for months boyfriend and I picked up food and took it to local park to eat. Much easier for me.

In the car you hear - voice(s), traffic going by, and other things. Might put you into overload.

Walking bothered me for months. Each step seemed to bounce in my head. Created an unbelievable headache.

These things still bother me to a degree. Some days more than others.

If 10 minutes is causing those symptoms try 5. Find a level that doesn't aggravate symptoms and then, ever so slowly, try to increase the activity.
roadrunner63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
aireyden (03-18-2011), Mark in Idaho (03-18-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 11:16 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have the same problem when I go out. As for shopping, I now go to only a couple of stores that I've become very familiar with. That helps some, but I still get overloaded with information (visual and auditory) and I get quite dizzy. I too have to get in and out as quick as possible.

Mark, I have the same problem when our son comes over. He and his dad get talking and they talk so fast and he is so loud! I can bearly tolerate it! Good idea to go away and put headphones on.
Soccergal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote