Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 03:47 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default yoga....anyone go or do at home?

I went to 2 classes and felt sort of lost...I just went to the library to get a dvd hoping I can tolerate a little tv viewing for this tomorrow -while kids are in school.

anyone else enjoy it...or any comments?
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-21-2011, 09:55 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm bringing this back to the top == because I want to know...has anyone tried yoga class...is it too stimulating or would it be good to "unwind and relax"???
Old 03-21-2011, 05:13 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have not tried yoga classes, but I do some stretches and some yoga at home. Some are exercises that I have done for awhile, and some are exercises that a physical therapist gave me.

The reason that I haven't done the classes is the same reason that I don't go shopping in Macy's anymore. Right now it's just too stimulating for me. I have a difficult time in places where there are a lot of people or there is a lot going on. I start to get dizzy and I get a headache.

That said, maybe you could find some small, quiet yoga class that would suit you.

Everyone is different. If you think it might help you, you could try it once. If it's not good for you, you could get up and leave or else just not go back.

All the best,
ShellyK
ShellyK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:12 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I did find one class....the woman said its a private class of right now 4 people...but its 75 mins...isn't that too long? (the drive is about 15 mins each way too). If I like it, the cost is only $12 per class

I have a yoga magazine from the library...tried some of them today...interesting..something i might be able to enjoy if my goldendoodle wasn't hoovering over me...

I went to the yoga at the gym on fri...seemed fine ..but then I had to go to the chiropractor right after it...way too much for me. I wound up with a killer headache and was exhausted sat and sund too!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:10 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

You seem drawn to the yoga. Why don't you tell the woman that you have had a concussion, and you want to try the class. Also, tell her that 75 minutes might be too long for you, and if you need to, just get up and leave.

On the other hand, part of the yoga class is probably relaxing breathing which you may find helpful. I think that you could try it and only do the exercises that feel right to you. You can always get up and leave.

Yoga class and the chiropractor would be too much for me too. I also would get a headache. If you want to try the yoga, try it on a day that you don't have anything else scheduled.

Let us know how it goes if you try it.

ShellyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireyden View Post
I did find one class....the woman said its a private class of right now 4 people...but its 75 mins...isn't that too long? (the drive is about 15 mins each way too). If I like it, the cost is only $12 per class

I have a yoga magazine from the library...tried some of them today...interesting..something i might be able to enjoy if my goldendoodle wasn't hoovering over me...

I went to the yoga at the gym on fri...seemed fine ..but then I had to go to the chiropractor right after it...way too much for me. I wound up with a killer headache and was exhausted sat and sund too!
ShellyK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:40 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi aireyden,

No, I haven't tried yoga. I've been tempted. It takes a lot of focus, from what I've heard, and isn't easy.

I have done pilates though. Pilates is helpful exercise, and relaxing.

There's another program similar to yoga, but is less intense. It's called Qi Jong I think? I am really wanting to try that one, but my YMCA only holds the class once a week at an unusual time for me to go to the Y.

Otherwise, I go for long & fast walks several times a week. That helps me a lot! It is very calming to me, and reassurring in life itself. Watching the plants grow, and animals going through their cycles in life. It brings me peace. That's what I'm trying to say.

When walking on a treadmill, at the Y, I look out through the window straight ahead. I imagine myself out there ~ walking amongst the lifeforms I see.

Hope that this helps. best wishes to you!

Shez
shezbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:42 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I can't go to the gym yet don't think that would be too stimulating to workout??

I'm just doing the yoga at home...I'm convinced any sort of brain activity is too much for me.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I used to go to yoga classes. Now I do it in short spurts at home. The sunrise salutations really help with my back.
oaklandrichie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:23 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile free yoga podcast (via itunes) & helpful book

Hello all,

I posted in another post about this free yoga podcast available through iTunes. Just search "Yogamazing" and you will be able to download the episodes that you specifically want.

I am limited as far as movement so i modify the poses, but I found that the 15 min "Yoga for posture" is really helpful. There are many others, and they are free and the instruction by Chaz Rough is clear and easy for any levels.

Also, I highly reccommend this book "Yoga for Pain Relief" by Kelly McGonigal, Ph.D. It really encouraged me with my severe headaches and helped me with relaxation practices. If you can't borrow it at your library,
its available on amazon**

I hope that these benefit someone
postconcussion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
aireyden (03-25-2011), Concussed Scientist (06-19-2011)