Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 07:47 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Recovery help, return of symptoms

Ok, it was a month since my concussion on Saturday. Maybe you all can help me with an issue I am having. Last week Tues. I was released by a netoulogist to do the non-contact stuff at practice. I knew the guy had no clue what he was talking about and that I wasted $150 bucks. Anyway he told me what I wanted to hear. So at practice I took off and ran the warm-up lap. By the end I was do dizzy I damn near fell over. Since then the dizziness that had completely gone away after the 2nd week has returned. It is Monday and it has not gone away. Why in the world has this come back?
The headaches have been better over the last 4 days. Only slight and not the bad ones I have been having off and on every day. This does not excite me becaue they got better before only for the bad one to return.

But on a good note, I got hooked up with a great sports med doc that has understands concusions. I plan on going back to playing once I get back to 100% and only if I am cleared and pass the cognitive test and everything else the doc has me do to prove I am ok.

Are there anythings I can do to speed this process along and help with the dizziness? Oh I play full contact women's football.
Xoe22 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-04-2011, 11:20 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My only advice is to not rush it and if you're still feeling symptoms (dizziness). You really don't wanna risk it. The effects could be a lot worse and it's not worth getting back into your sport, especially if you're playing contact football.

I played collegiate soccer and rushed back into running/working out even though I thought I was near 100% and completely relapsed. Now I am unable to ever play again. My only wish now is to get back to normal and be able to do daily activities and hopefully run.

I know you're dying to play again and playing may be your top priority right now, but coming from someone who lost it all- your health should be your top priority and you're only putting yourself in danger. It's not worth it.

The doctor may release you but ultimately you are the only one who knows if you are symptom free. I'm sorry you're going through this and I hope you get better soon and are able to return to playing in the future.
Kelly50179 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark in Idaho (04-04-2011), roadrunner63 (04-04-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 03:21 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I don't really understand why someone that has had PCS would risk another concussion. And there is always the possibility you might not get back to 100%.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:54 PM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Actually, there is a 100% probability that you will not get back to 100%. The long term symptoms do not show up until you are in your 40's. The number of concussions will pile up and hit you much harder. In the short term, you will just ride a wild roller coaster until the bad concussion changes your life for good, I mean BAD.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote