Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 04:14 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Could I have permanent brain damage?

Hi,

I'm 17 years old. I am sort of a hypochondriac, so I can't stop thinking about this issue:

I come from a Korean-American family where slapping kids on the head as a disciplinary action is very common. I would estimate this started at the age of 4, and since then I have probably been slapped on the head at least 200 times. It is a moderate slap-- Enough to cause the head to throb for about ten seconds but not involving loss of consciousness or long-lasting migraines.

Is it possible that, cumulatively, I am less intelligent than I would have been? In the third grade, I had a neurologist measure my IQ as 142, but I don't feel as if I am at that level anymore. Could all of these slaps over time have lowered my IQ?

Also, in the sixth grade, I suffered a concussion while skiing that had my unconscious for about five minutes. The CAT scan showed no problems and the doctors said I was fine, but I don't believe them. How could anyone be the same after a concussion?

I don't feel any different than before and I recovered completely within a week of my concussion-- But it just seems unbelievable that I would be completely fine.
CandyCanes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Candycanes,

I hate to be one to support your hypochondria but your worries are correct. But,,,,, I would not worry to much until you have finished growing up. Your brain will continue to mature until you are about 25 years old.

My greatest concern for you is the head slaps. They are likely sub-concussive impacts. They can have a cumulative effect. It can take years to show symptoms.

You have two options. Worry about it.
Or,,, Do something about it.

I suggest the latter.
Get started on good brain nutrition. There are plenty of posts on this forum about nutrition and vitamins. Do a search and you will find them. Purpose to avoid any further head impacts of any severity. No soccer ball heading. No contact sports. No martial arts sparing with contact.

Your brain is at an age where it can still improve. There are online and for purchase software programs that hep you keep your brain exercised. Posit science and Lumosity are the popular ones.

Your IQ is the last brain characteristic impacted in many cases. It allows many to overcome many of the Post Concussion Syndrome symptoms.

My IQ is at a similar level but my processing speed and memory functions are severely reduced. The symptom that takes the most effort is the tendency for outbursts of anger, etc. There are choices you can make to learn to control this symptom. This skill will be a life changer as you learn it.

Over time, you may have symptoms that become evident. Don;'t worry about them. Instead, learn the work-arounds and other accommodations that allow many to overcome them. A full life is possible.

Let us know about any symptoms you need to work on.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (04-21-2011), Tralee (06-02-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 02:52 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

That's what I feared... Most people have told me that the skull fully absorbs minor hits like that but I didn't believe them.

What about the concussion? I believe it was at least a Grade 3... It's making me question whether I ever should have begun skiing to begin with.

So is it really possible that I made a complete recovery from the concussion? Or was my intellectual potential lessened because of it? Is it better that I had it early in my life?

Thanks.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (04-21-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 05:01 PM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

All concussions cause permanent damage. Most of those symptoms will not show up unless the subject is under stress. Most people are dead wrong, including most doctors. The research about subconcussive impacts was done over 20 years ago but the medical community is still not accepting these truths. The permanent damage research was done in the 1970's and repeated in the 1990's. It is still not accepted.

The concept of full recovery is a misnomer. It currently means the subject has recovered to a condition where all ADL's (Activities of Daily Living) can be done. This is a short sighted term. The ADL's made be doable but the stress load can impact ADL's and other situations. Test taking is not an ADL. Test taking can be impacted by concussions, especially if the subject is under stress.

Just because the subject appears recovered and may even think they have recovered 100%, the lasting damage will eventually become symptomatic.

There is nothing that can be done to change this long term situation. But, you can do things to minimize the symptoms that return. Avoiding further impacts of any intensity is the most important. The concussed and sub-concussed brain is far more sensitive to further injury.

Your intellectual potential is not something to worry about. You should be more focused on learning to live a low stress life with good nutrition. Intellectual performance may be hampered in some situations but it is not difficult to avoid those situations.

The cultural imperative to go at max speed to achieve everything possible is false. There are always trade offs, whether one has a concussion history or not. By learning to live a stress free and balanced life, you intellectual potential can still be achieved.

btw, I disregard the Class 1,2,3,4,5 definition of concussions. There is not a direct relationship between initial concussion intensity and long term symptoms. There are too many variables. The attempt to grade concussions is for the benefit of the statisticians, not the patient.

Skiing is not a dangerous sport regarding concussions. Many skiers wear helmets today. I believe the biggest risk is due to irresponsible behaviors. I wear a helmet to protect my head from other skiers and boarders.

If you practice safe skiing, you should be able to minimize the risk. Try not to stop in congested areas. Use good equipment. Be aware of the reckless skiers and boarders. Don't keep skiing when you are tired. Most injuries happen in the latter half of the day. I know because I was a National Ski Patrol. Enjoy skiing. It is a fabulous sport.

CandyCanes, My biggest concern is for you to learn to control you anxiety. Hypochondria is an anxiety disorder. If you continue to worry and it effects your life, you need professional help. Seek it and use it. Living in fear is not living. It is existing. You may have some tendencies for anxiety as a symptom of your concussion. A professional therapist who has experience with PCS will be a great find.

Seek some good help and learn to enjoy life. You will do fine if you get the help you need.

And, when you see your culture 'head slapping,' speak up and try to stop this damaging behavior.

My best to you.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Ken Koester (10-05-2014), vini (05-01-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 07:27 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
All concussions cause permanent damage. Most of those symptoms will not show up unless the subject is under stress. Most people are dead wrong, including most doctors. The research about subconcussive impacts was done over 20 years ago but the medical community is still not accepting these truths. The permanent damage research was done in the 1970's and repeated in the 1990's. It is still not accepted.

The concept of full recovery is a misnomer. It currently means the subject has recovered to a condition where all ADL's (Activities of Daily Living) can be done. This is a short sighted term. The ADL's made be doable but the stress load can impact ADL's and other situations. Test taking is not an ADL. Test taking can be impacted by concussions, especially if the subject is under stress.

Just because the subject appears recovered and may even think they have recovered 100%, the lasting damage will eventually become symptomatic.

There is nothing that can be done to change this long term situation. But, you can do things to minimize the symptoms that return. Avoiding further impacts of any intensity is the most important. The concussed and sub-concussed brain is far more sensitive to further injury.

Your intellectual potential is not something to worry about. You should be more focused on learning to live a low stress life with good nutrition. Intellectual performance may be hampered in some situations but it is not difficult to avoid those situations.

The cultural imperative to go at max speed to achieve everything possible is false. There are always trade offs, whether one has a concussion history or not. By learning to live a stress free and balanced life, you intellectual potential can still be achieved.

btw, I disregard the Class 1,2,3,4,5 definition of concussions. There is not a direct relationship between initial concussion intensity and long term symptoms. There are too many variables. The attempt to grade concussions is for the benefit of the statisticians, not the patient.

Skiing is not a dangerous sport regarding concussions. Many skiers wear helmets today. I believe the biggest risk is due to irresponsible behaviors. I wear a helmet to protect my head from other skiers and boarders.

If you practice safe skiing, you should be able to minimize the risk. Try not to stop in congested areas. Use good equipment. Be aware of the reckless skiers and boarders. Don't keep skiing when you are tired. Most injuries happen in the latter half of the day. I know because I was a National Ski Patrol. Enjoy skiing. It is a fabulous sport.

CandyCanes, My biggest concern is for you to learn to control you anxiety. Hypochondria is an anxiety disorder. If you continue to worry and it effects your life, you need professional help. Seek it and use it. Living in fear is not living. It is existing. You may have some tendencies for anxiety as a symptom of your concussion. A professional therapist who has experience with PCS will be a great find.

Seek some good help and learn to enjoy life. You will do fine if you get the help you need.

And, when you see your culture 'head slapping,' speak up and try to stop this damaging behavior.

My best to you.
Thanks!

So just to clarify....

I will never be the same as I was before the crash, but ultimately I am no less intelligent than I was before?
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (04-21-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 11:10 PM #6
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Basically, yes. But there is no reason to think you need to be different. If you feel you have symptoms that make you different, post them here. The changes would have happened when you were much younger right after your concussion. Any changes since then should be minimal unless you have been head slapped excessively.

I think you are trying to make too much out of a concussion that happened years ago. I would think that you would be used to any symptoms that manifest from that concussion.

Have you engaged in any activities that may cause an impact to your head? Soccer, hockey, field hockey, Lacross, football, wrestling, basketball, softball, baseball, etc.

So, are you having any specific problems besides your anxiety?

We're here to help.

My best to you.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (04-21-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 02:04 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

No, I had no symptoms whatsoever after around 3-4 days following the crash.

I have just been very regretful these past few days wondering how much more intelligent I would be today had that not happened. I no longer feel like my IQ is above 140.

I was wearing a helmet at the time, but I crashed into an adult skier and my head collided with his chest.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:30 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Loss of IQ

Hi CandyCanes,

When a person with a high IQ has a brain injury they do not merely become a person with a lower IQ. They become a person with a high IQ with a brain injury. This is not the same thing at all. The brain is very complicated and does many things that are not tested by IQ tests.

I believe that it is harder to get a computer to recognize images than it is to get it to solve IQ tests. The things tested in IQ tests only test part of what the brain actually does, and possibly not the functions that an injured brain will find most taxing.

I have had a brain injury. I also had one in childhood. I believe that I made a complete recovery from my childhood injury and my adult IQ turned out just fine. A child's brain is more plastic and possibly can recover better from an injury.

That is not to say that hitting children around the head is a good idea. It isn't. However, your IQ is just fine and what you use brain for will make more difference to you in the future than if your IQ were a couple of percentage points higher.

If you check out this website you willl find that people with post-concussion symptoms complain more of headaches, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, intolerance of bright light and loud noises, rather than the inability to do IQ tests. I have had many of these post-concussional symptoms but my IQ score is still just fine - definitely not the thing that concerns me the most.

You basically don't have any symptoms, you are just wondering whether you might have been smarter than you are. Most of us wish that we were smarter, but in the end you have to settle for what you have, being a product of inheritance and environment. Your childhood may not have been ideal but you probably inherited being quite smart, so swings and roundabouts.

You are right to consider that you may be a bit of a hyperchondriac. Something that you might want to consider also is whether you feel upset about being slapping around the head all those years. You may be feeling upset at perhaps not having the upbringing that you would have wished for. That may have more to do with your feelings about being slapped around the head than any intellectual impairment.

You can stop worrying about the past now. That part of your life is over. Brain injuries do have a cummulative effect but, whether you have had them in the past or not, you should try to avoid head injury in the future. That is always good advice.

Nevertheless, it sounds like your brain is in pretty good shape. You just need to do your best to keep it that way and be happy.

Good luck.
Concussed Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyCanes View Post
No, I had no symptoms whatsoever after around 3-4 days following the crash.

I have just been very regretful these past few days wondering how much more intelligent I would be today had that not happened. I no longer feel like my IQ is above 140.

I was wearing a helmet at the time, but I crashed into an adult skier and my head collided with his chest.
Concussed Scientist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
CandyCanes (04-13-2011), Dmom3005 (04-21-2011), Mark in Idaho (04-12-2011)
Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I really hate to be a pain here...

But when you say that my IQ has not been impacted, do you mean that there has been literally no impact? Or could it have caused me to be one percent less than I would have been?

I'm concerned even about a one percent drop-off.

Again, sorry to ask again, I realize that I'm being annoying but anxiety is destroying me.

Thanks!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (04-21-2011)
Old 04-21-2011, 05:47 PM #10
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Candy Cane
Honestly the only way your going to know if its effected your IQ. Is if you
have another IQ test. But one of the things you really need to realize
is that even if your IQ has gone down some, that isn't the end of the world.

Because I have to say, you need to honestly know that your IQ is very high.
So instead of worrying so much do what you can to make sure it stays were
it is now.

Donna
Dmom3005 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote