Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 07:23 AM #1
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Postal home delivery

My mail box is down a Long hilly driver, my kids went to college and I'm in a wheelchair and DH is home late at night sometimes 2x a week. Using the computer, I accessed the Federal post office law stating and requiring home delivery of mail to Handicapped individuals. This info provided hard to find HHMMMM - done on purpose?). I made a print-out, it required a doctor's letter tio request to post-master. Being stubborn I had names and addresses in an hour doctor letter iniated, and letters written. Then I called my local post office, was passed around to three individuals seemingly very unfamiliar with law, last could hardly speak English, but within an hour my mail was hand delivered with a knock on my door. For awhile it was placed in cardboard box I placed on porch until I had required mailbox installed on door. I thanked mail carrier, left cookies for him another time and have never had a problem since. Within 2 hours I was set in this procedure.
My local Post-office was very cooperative (we're a little "Mayberry" here (shoot, I know several police officers by sight), I wrote a thank you to my local office l post-master. I am a face and name to my post-office. This can take persistence and while I was ready, turned out not to be required. But I was ready.
kicker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (04-12-2011), Darlene (04-13-2011), dd in pain (09-15-2011), Dmom3005 (09-13-2011), ginnie (04-13-2011), gramE (04-17-2011), hollym (09-15-2011), karousel (09-09-2011), Kitty (04-12-2011)

advertisement
Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Kicker, thank you for this. I have a hard time getting to my mailbox sometimes. Days that my legs just do not want to cooperate with me make even the short walk to the mailbox difficult. I've often wondered if there was a service like this but just never took it upon myself to investigate it. Guess it would sort of mean another thing I can't do, KWIM. The mailman would just have to pull into my driveway and put the mail on the porch - which is covered. Maybe I'll check out this possibility.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (09-13-2011), hollym (09-15-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 09:01 AM #3
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Kitty
It is pouring rain here, The mail box is 800 feet away, the ramp of death is wood, non ADA compliant, steep and has no rail. When it is wet, chair skids and slides right off (did this once, will never do again. I had to use my NJ snow driving skills to get back to safety but was ready to call Fire Dept. if I had to. Door swings in off covered porch, I can open box inside. Worth every cookie I made and gave! I always carry my cell phone and programmed in is a bunch of people I'd call. I plan to be as independent as possible(with some help of course).
kicker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (09-13-2011), hollym (09-15-2011), Kitty (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 AM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I found this on the USPS website:

Hardship/Medical Problems
"Hardship or Medical Problems" is defined as an illness or handicap which would present a physical challenge for an individual to retrieve mail.

To request door delivery, you need to write a letter requesting this change and attach a statement from a Doctor. The Doctor's statement should indicate you are unable to collect your mail from a curb or centralized mailbox. Both your letter and the Doctor's statement must be sent to the Post Office that delivers your mail for approval or denial. Final determination on whether or not door delivery will be granted will be made by the Post Office.

Request letters should be addressed:

POSTMASTER
UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE
CITY, STATE ZIP CODE

Note:Any approval will be temporary (further information can be obtained from the local Post Office)

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (09-13-2011), kicker (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 10:39 AM #5
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Thank you, kicker, for posting that! As a retired Postmaster (worked for the USPS for over 29 years) in a "Mayberry" style town, it's nice to see someone confirm what I've always known: MOST of the folks in the Postal system are like your people. Those aren't the ones that usually get the publicity.

In my area (not just my town) I can only remember two instances when someone wasn't able to get home delivery because of a disability. And both were individuals trying to "work the system". They were just trying to get their names in the paper. No real disability.

For anyone who may not live in Mayberry, I agree with you that a person needs to be ready with the paperwork, etc.

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Blessings2You is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (09-13-2011), hollym (09-15-2011), kicker (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 11:37 PM #6
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

My parents neighbor lady has MS, diabetes w/complications, low vision, she has mail brought to her door.
It's a city of a 100,000.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (04-13-2011), Dmom3005 (09-13-2011), hollym (09-15-2011), Kitty (04-13-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 01:34 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Dear Kicker,
As a former mailman, to me one of the important parts of your post is that you recognize that this is a special service and your carrier is not given more time allowance to get to your door, but you do acknowledge this. The cookies aren't necessary but I'm sure appreciated. Just a kind thank you occasionally. Some customers are pretty cantankerous, even when you give extra service. I had a few that had special service but only a couple who complained regardless of what I did. Thanks for expressing your gratitude, thank you.

pat e

gramE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (04-17-2011), Dmom3005 (09-13-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 03:58 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker View Post
Kitty
It is pouring rain here, The mail box is 800 feet away, the ramp of death is wood, non ADA compliant, steep and has no rail. When it is wet, chair skids and slides right off (did this once, will never do again. I had to use my NJ snow driving skills to get back to safety but was ready to call Fire Dept. if I had to. Door swings in off covered porch, I can open box inside. Worth every cookie I made and gave! I always carry my cell phone and programmed in is a bunch of people I'd call. I plan to be as independent as possible(with some help of course).
Dear Kitty,
Just joined because I saw your e-mail about the ramp of death, thought that reminded me so much of mine. Except mine is cement. I do not have problems as severe as yours but getting the mail is not easy sometime. I got on a site to see about that and ended up here, but love your ramp of death. quote. Carol
curious carol is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 09:51 PM #9
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

To Everyone

I have a breathing disability, fibromyalgia, diabetes and a few others.

I use a PO Box and I take my time going to the post office. It takes a while to get in at times, and out. But I have a job that I pick up boxes and the
postmistresses is very nice. She has always told me when I come in that I have 6 to 8 boxes. And that I need one of my 3 boys to help. If I don't have
the help she loads the boxes in their cart, and the lady that does the cleaning
usually offers to load the boxes in my van.

Its just a curtisy that they have been so nice to extend to me. Its so nice.
WHen there is no one to help me, I leave the boxes and sometimes its almost a week. But that is a toll on them. So I really appreciate the postmistress and staff.

So we really appreciate the Post Office in our little town also.

Donna
Dmom3005 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote