Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 01:26 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default How soon did your symptoms appear?

I'm trying to get an idea how quickly symptoms appear for people post-TBI. I myself am trying to remember, but it happened some 36 years ago, and at the time wasn't really told all the things I should have been on the lookout for. I do remember feeling perfectly fine directly after discharge from the hospital, but after X weeks/months the health issues began.

It does take time for brain cells to die, and this is mainly what causes the lead time as I understand it. I've heard anything from a few weeks to a few months. How about you?
  • MIGRAINE HEADACHES
  • INSOMNIA
  • ANGER & SELF-CONTROL (going "Frontal")
Kenjhee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (03-19-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (03-19-2012)

advertisement
Old 03-19-2012, 03:10 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

As the knowledgeable doctors say "When you've seen one brain injury, you've seen one brain injury"

I know that I have had a lag between the injury and the symptoms but the lag has varied with no relation to the injury.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
xxxxcrystalxxxx (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 01:01 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Just after impact I felt hot, nausiated, dizzy, disortiented and very spaced out. Once I got to the Emergency department my head was hurting and I felt very very tired.

I actully thought I was ok the next day, but by that evening I started feeling like I was on major cold medicine, and then the other symptoms started happening.

I remember being pretty freaked out because I new nothing about head injuries/concussions, and my doctor had not told me what symptoms I might expect.

Now my biggest issues are the headaches (tension/migraine combos), extreme fatigue, and noise sensitivities. The others are a bit less.

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-19-2012, 01:52 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My symptoms took about 3 months to manifest. I woke up in the middle of the night and the world came crashing down on me.

Its been a constant decline since.
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-19-2012, 02:08 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjhee View Post
I'm trying to get an idea how quickly symptoms appear for people post-TBI. I myself am trying to remember, but it happened some 36 years ago, and at the time wasn't really told all the things I should have been on the lookout for. I do remember feeling perfectly fine directly after discharge from the hospital, but after X weeks/months the health issues began.

It does take time for brain cells to die, and this is mainly what causes the lead time as I understand it. I've heard anything from a few weeks to a few months. How about you?
My symptoms appeared a couple weeks after my accident, just like you. I had no idea about PCS. I believe the symptoms probably didn't disappear like I thought, as I wasn't looking for signs, but they continued to manifest for months. Some come and go, and others didn't start until many months after. Of course, I can't remember lots <grin>, so I can never say anything for sure! It is very hard not to know your brain anymore. My accident was in August 2010, and I have had worsening of symptoms to date. From the little bit I know, since i am a woman and am over 40, I fall into a group of people who have this longer sometimes than young people. Probably as we have had our heads knocked around more <grin> Didn't know about dying brain cells. My first day on this site.
kwaddington is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

In all my concussions, symptoms appeared mostly within 24 hours. Never felt any symptom right after the impact though... Except for being unconscious after my 4th concussion for some time (less than 10 minutes)
Marina22 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The worst hit me at about 2 weeks. I noticed headache, memory issues, extreme fatigue same day but these symptoms worsened and new ones came along over the first two weeks.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:00 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

For the most part....my symptoms appeared immediately. Headaches, vision problems, hallucinations, dizziness, tinnitus, expressive aphasia, stutter, photophobia, brain fog, issues with planning and carrying out tasks, etc.
I remember i developed a tremor about 4 weeks after the accident, so that was a delayed symptom. I began to make significant improvements about 6 months after the accident.
Suffered a TBI with PCS on April 25th 2011 from multiple blows to the head from falling, unconscious for 12 hours with no memory of event. Hit the back of my head, and above right eye. MRI and CT negative. Symptoms included constant headaches (migraine, pressure, tension, icepicks), dizziness, tinnitus, visual changes, photophobia, fatigue, "spacing out", word finding difficulties, depression, and emotional lability.
Began Healing in November 2011 after starting acupuncture and Healing Touch (a nurturing energy therapy that promotes relaxation and pain relief). I went back to work in February 2012. Ive been symptom free since July 2012. Very happy, positive, energetic and working out every day, doing yoga, and living a normal life again!
I also began taking Healing Touch classes in November 2011 and completed 5 Levels of Healing Touch Certificate Program that included a 1 year mentorship to become a Healing Touch International Practitioner in June 2013. I am so pleased to offer this wonderful healing therapy to my patients, friends, and clients.
nightnurse30 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:09 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I had symptoms immediately, headache, brain fog, and denial. I also couldn't even open my eyes in the sunlight. That's how I knew I was in trouble. As the week went on my symptoms got worse. Unsteady gait. I couldn't stand without swaying back and forth. I couldn't close my eyes or I'd fall over. Worsening headache, crying. Neck and back pain as well showed up about a week later. The whooshing sounds didn't show up until about a month into this. Intense ear pain as well.
xxxxcrystalxxxx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:33 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My injury was on a Tuesday Afternoon.,
That thursday afternoon I notice symptoms, went to ER.
Friday I took off work, slept half the day, felt better.
Saturday I hung around the house and was lazy, was feeling better.
Sunday morning I felt normal, expected to be going back to work Monday.
Sunday night, the muscle in the back of my head and neck swelled up, my symptoms came back 10 times worse, and I have yet to realize a major improvement that does not come from medicine. That was 3 months ago.
also, on that Sunday night, I popped a lymph node in my neck; no dr. can tell me why that happened.

So, I got better then got worse, in a matter of a weekend.
Scott in Fenton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote