Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 02:40 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Second Opinion (New Neurologist)

My neurologist "can't do anything for me" and thinks all my problems are psychiatric...so I'm being sent to a new neurologist today for a second opinion.

Yippee!!!

Why do I have the feeling that this neurologist is going to be no different than the last two?

I've been in a constant decline since my injury. I have absolutely not one lasting improvement to show to this day. There is OBVIOUSLY something going on.

I've gone from being able to communicate well, think fairly well, driving a car, watching TV and playing video games to not being able to do any of that anymore. These are improvements people speak of...not declines, right? I wake up every 2-3 months with another horrible decline...feels like I'm being kicked in the head every few months.

I started getting NUCCA adjustments in the middle of February, which was showing some pretty positive improvements. It was great...but it didn't last. Now I'm starting to wonder if it was a placebo effect this whole time.

So I'll report back here after my appointment...probably won't have much to say.

Nick
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-19-2012, 03:33 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default ...

Well, i wish you good luck, i had 3 different neurologists aswell....
Last one prescribed me cool pills for "schizophrenia" lol, cool staff, works well for anxiety.
Ziggo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:09 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yep, same thing as every other Neurologist.

He requested another EEG (third one I've had) and he wants the actual film from my MRI's. I've never had a Neurologist ask for that...so not exactly the same thing...but pretty much.

I've been in a constant decline since September...not one lasting improvement.

I hate PCS.
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:12 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Have you seen a physiatrist? I found that my neurologist was more interested in figuring out what was going on in my brain (short answer: nobody *really* knows) whereas my physiatrist was interested in helping me do what I could to get better.

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (03-20-2012)