Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 01:24 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Angry you have been discharged

Well I was told by the head injury clinic I was discharged and nothing more can be done. Im like what? The md says I should look into social security. Its been nine months. They say im not going to get better. I was finAlly able to get pt for speech. Not sure why I do lose my words but other than that I talk fine. Im so angry and scared. Today is not a good day.
xxxxcrystalxxxx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-20-2012, 01:47 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Start going to speech therapy. Speech therapy helped me cognitively a great deal.

Try to remember that recovery according to the neuropsychologist who wrote the tbiguide can occur for up to two years after an injury and you've been healing for nine months.

Do fill out your SSI - if you make a sudden or rapid improvement from this point you can cancel it at any time.

I could not do much of anything nine months after the injury I sustained and now I'm working 20 hours a week. Every brain injury is different, but I believe hope can go a long way towards making a recovery from each one.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
JulieRN (03-21-2012), SpaceCadet (03-20-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 01:50 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel any better, I'm right around the same time frame as you recovery-wise...and I still have a boat load of cognitive troubles. In fact, all my problems are pretty much cognitive. I have not one lasting improvement to show in 9 months of recovery.

I have also been told by a NeuroSurgeon at the ER that my problems were permanent and would not ever get any better.

I have problems losing words, finding words, forming sentences and just knowing what to say. Its like when I go to speak, nothing is there. I'm not quite sure what speech therapy would do for me...but I plan on trying it. I'll try anything at this point.

Are your cognitive problems worse when you first wake up? That's the case with me...I'll wake up and try to talk to someone and nothing comes out right. So I feel like crawling under my sheets and hiding all day. It gets slightly better throughout the day if I keep at it.

Maybe you should start on an SSI application.

Just in case.

Nick

P.S. I'm part of another support group online. I've spoke with people on there who are years into their recovery and still see improvements. So, there is still hope. I just worry about myself because I get worse every few months instead of better. This entire month has been horrible for me...and its the same crap everyday even though I spend most of my day laying in bed.
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-20-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 01:54 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey Nick,

What's the name of the other online support group you're a part of? I would like to check it out.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
xxxxcrystalxxxx (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 03:35 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks guys for your input. Nick my symptoms dont have any rhyme or reason they are what they are. I can have a good few days and a horrible week after that. That's one of the problems with me getting a job. I cant go in on only my good days. I'm not sure what the process is because I was telling myself I'm going to get better. I'm not losing my hope but I guess I have to be smart about this process.
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 03:38 PM #6
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

crystal and others at this frustrating point in recovery,

Keep in mind that the Concussion Clinic which is just another term for Don't ask questions we can't answer, pay your bill, then go away, is just admitting that there is very little they can do, even from the start.

The speech therapy may help you learn some work-arounds and other techniques for living with your symptoms.

Most of the value of speech therapy is for those who have extended periods of coma and need to reinvigorate the speech pathways. We need to learn/establish new speech pathways or find ways around the log jamb.

There can be many slow improvements. Most improvements come from learning new ways of doing things.

I was discussing this in a PM with Nick (nwsmth). One of the most helpful skills I have learned is to 'stop and think.' This is a form of establishing a cognitive focus. At first, it can take quite some time to get the clearer mind so the thoughts can be processed. As time and practice go by, the stop and think can become an almost automatic system.

The primary focus of 'stop and think' is learning to be deliberate. Pre-morbid, we could multi-task or more accurately, easily switch tasks. Now, we need to shut down any other tasks, both physical and cognitive.

For me, this often includes needing to shut off my environment. Whether it is the TV or radio blaring or someone talking nearby, or a fan blowing too strong, I need to either remove myself from the environment or reduce or stop the sound. If I am navigating for my wife as she drives and I need to read a map, she will need to turn the radio off, maybe turn the AC fan off, and during the worst times, even pull to the side of the road and stop.

So, Stop means everything. Then, as you learn to focus and become deliberate with your thoughts, these other distractions can slowly be reintroduced.

You need to learn to ask other to be quiet so you can think. It is possible, especially with those who have a basic understanding of your needs.

Once everything has been stopped, the word finding has some tricks. I am often successful looking around the room and identifying the different things I see in my mind. It is amazing how access the memory of visual items can open the pathways to the word I am needing.

I think of it as sort of "As I look around, I open the file drawer in my mind to access the index of images. While this file drawer is open and I leaf through the files, I run across a file with the word I need."

Our brain contains a huge database of images, both visual and verbal. Our memory needs to access those images to get the connection to the word or name. When we get stuck with word finding, it is like we can't get the file drawer opened. Using another reason to open the file drawer allows us to watch for other items/words while the drawer is opened.

Another trick I use is a cognitive release system. If I can find the word or name, I let my mind relax as if I am going to change to a different thought. The goal is to release the stuck though, not start a new thought. Often, just as I am finishing letting go of the stuck thought, the word/name will become available.

Maybe this analogy will help. If you have a clogged drain, sometimes, the more water you put in. the stronger the clog becomes. If the water pressure is relaxed, the clog decompresses to allow a slow flow of water.

It is this ability to release the cognitive pressure that helps to find the word/name.

Am I making any sense? If so, click a Thanks or something.

This has been one of the most valuable skills I have developed.

It helps if you can get those around you to relax and be patient while you release the cognitive pressure. The quiet wait can make a big difference.

Those of us who have found a good brain injury support group (BISG) that has group discussion have seen this work.

At last months BISG, we had a new person. He suffered a concussion playing football, then a stroke the next day. He was trying to say something and got stuck with word finding. The group of 10 or 12 sat perfectly quiet for about a minute as he worked his cognitive system to find his words. He eventually broke through and was able to finish his comments without anybody acting as if it was odd.

This same technique works wonders with toddlers and such as they struggle to speak. They often get frustrated and start wining. The solutions is to calm the child and say, "That's OK. Use your words." When they know that you are willing to wait for them to express themselves, the words will come.

We just have older brains that are still needing to learn to find words, etc.

There are many other work-arounds, tricks and accommodations that allow us to overcome many of our limitations.

Being patient to recognize the individual struggles is the start at identifying the new skills we need to learn.

My best to you all.

btw, Get the SSDI application going. The process starts with a SSI application which is a quick process then follows with the SS Disability Insurance/Income application. The SSI portion is an emergency welfare like income benefit for those with no assets to liquidate while waiting for their SSDI application to get processed.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 03-20-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ConcussedJ (03-20-2012), EsthersDoll (03-20-2012), GlassHead (03-21-2012), ladydeedee (03-25-2012), Soccergal (03-20-2012), SpaceCadet (03-20-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 04:03 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I felt that the "Thanks" button was just not enough in this situation.

So, thank you Mark. I think that is the greatest advice anybody could ever receive. I second everything you've said here.

BTW, the "Stop and think" thing Mark taught me has become a daily part of my life...and it has improved the quality of my life.

Nick
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
xxxxcrystalxxxx (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 06:53 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I agree Nick. Thank you Mark. Your help has been so appreciated. You are so kind to give us such valueable advise. Have you thought of writing your guide to surviving a tbi?
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-21-2012), SpaceCadet (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Ditto. Mark, I can relate to so much of what you wrote here. In fact, a big thanks to you for responding to some of my posts over a year ago, with similar information.

It takes time to make these things into a regular "practice". But stopping the noise and clutter is an absolute requirement!

I also found that I took quite a while to go through the "acceptance" stage. Not that I have given up hope, but I don't fight my symptoms and my situation as much any more. The more you fight it, the worse your symptoms get. Accepting your situation allows you to let go a little and focus on your day to day well-being. As my doc says to me every month - "baby steps". And man, what an understatement that is.

Mark, I also like how you use the term, our "pre-morbid" selves. We really do have to let go of our old selves and our old abilities like multi-tasking. My goal as I am slowly trying to return to work is to learn a new way of working. It's highly unlikely that I will be the leader and multi-tasker that I once was. But that is OK. My main goal now is to "feel well". If that means we lose our house because I can't retain my income, then so be it. I certainly fear that - but not as much as I fear not feeling well enough to enjoy life.

Many thanks to all who post here. I'm not good at reading all the posts, but those I do have proven to be most helpful.

Thanks!

X-Soccergal
Female, 44 years old. Several concussions over the years - the first was most severe (kicked by horse), recovered well. Last 2 concussions Oct, 2009 and were two weeks apart. I attempted to return to working 12 hrs/wk (working from home), but was unsuccessful. Currently applying for medical disability.

Primary Symptoms: dizziness, light & sound sensitivity, confusion, difficulty focusing attention, headaches, depression, exteme fatigue, some insomnia and occassional speach problems - stammer, halted speach as I try to find the word or thought and using incorrect words. Trouble focusing on conversation if there is other noise around - especially other conversations.

Soccergal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-21-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (03-21-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 07:10 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I agree Nick. Thank you Mark. Your help has been so appreciated. You are so kind to give us such valueable advise. Have you thought of writing your guide to surviving a tbi?
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-21-2012), Soccergal (03-20-2012)