Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 10:07 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Trauma causes Inflamation with causes Scar tissue......Increased Pain

I mentioned in a previous post that I received the BOTOX injections for Chronic Migraines a couple of days ago. I also mentioned how it felt like TORTURE!

To most people, it may just feel like a bee sting and for me it rivalled having a baby. The only thing the Doctor said was I had a lot of inflamation and scarring he had to get through.

So I woke up today (2 days after the Injections) and my face is really hurting. This is out of the ordinary becuase I usually have a high pain tollerance.

I finally found this article:

Which basically states inflamation from injury and other things (mine was from injury) causes scar tissue to build up and the nerves in that scar tissue can conduct pain up to 1,000 times more effectively than normal tissue. This creates TYPE III paint (Supersensitivity).

In a nut shell it says:
SCAR TISSUE IS DIFFERENT NEUROLOGICALLY: It is easy to see how microscopic scarring is different mechanically. What most doctors fail to tell you is that scar tissue is different neurologically as well. The latest research tells us that the nerves in scar tissue can conduct pain up to 1,000 times more effectively than normal tissue. This creates what is knows as Type III pain (Supersensitivity).

Abnormally functioning nerves in scar tissue, lead to problems like diminished proprioception (which causes degenerative arthritis and joint deterioration). It can also lead to HYPERALGIA (extreme sensitivity to pain -- stimulus that should cause a little pain causes extraordinary amounts of pain.

That sounds about right since my other senses are hypersensitive too. I'm sure a lot of you already know this, but I didn't and it seems logical.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Chronic-Pa...ues&id=6018748

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kenjhee (03-22-2012), PCS Mikey (03-22-2012), Soccergal (03-23-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (03-22-2012)

advertisement
Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Very interesting! I'm going to think about this and perhaps incorporate it into my pain models and theories.
  • MIGRAINE HEADACHES
  • INSOMNIA
  • ANGER & SELF-CONTROL (going "Frontal")
Kenjhee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:59 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

headstrong,

It appears you may be taking much of this out of context. Reading too many articles online can cause one to over-emphasize a simple comment.

When an article says 'up to 1,000 times more effectively,' it means just that. But more likely, it could accurately say, "Up to 10 times more effectively but in extreme rare circumstances, up to 1000 times more effectively."

Research is often done to find the most common occurrences but it is the extremes of a condition that get the head lines and may result in an article getting published.

The article you referred to is self-published by a chiropractor. As knowledgeable as he may be, he fails to cite any sources of his claims. He also appear to over emphasize his own abilities. Good articles will have a long list of footnotes and bibliography. Dr. Schleiring does not appear in the medical literature that i could find. The gold standard is called peer reviewed. This mean the authors research and statements have been review by other experts in the field. It does no appear he has had such a review.

All to say, go lightly with this information.

The doc who did the Botox injections has likely done it many times before with success. Your pain may have nothing to do with the comments in the article.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:34 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Mark, you could be right, but I did discuss the information with a Neurologist/Epileptologist as well as with a Oculoplastic Surgeon and they seemd to confirm the article information. All I have to go by is the fact that I ordinarily have a high pain tolerance... and since the injury, I do not.

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote