Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 12:45 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Symptoms in Dreams

Do you have symptoms of TBI in your dreams?

I usually don't...I'm usually my previous self in my dreams.

Except for this morning...I had a dream that I went to visit my friend in New York. The whole time I was stuttering and having trouble talking and getting sentences out right. I even turned down a glass of vodka and orange juice because I didn't want to make my symptoms worse lol.

I hope this doesn't become a regular thing. The only time I get any relief is when I'm sleeping. I usually enjoy my dreams because I don't have any symptoms in them...and with the medicine I'm taking, they are usually pretty fun and vivid.
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-23-2012, 02:33 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Sounds like one of my stressful dreams. I don't have them very often. When I do have them, my wife can tell because I have body jerks and breathing abnormalities. I attribute them to a lack of good oxygen to my brain from my apnea.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (03-23-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 04:41 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I think in many of my dreams I'm telling people I can't do xyz because I'm recovering from a brain injury...

But recently, I was telling someone that in a dream that I can't drive on the freeway because of the brain injury (which I am restricted from doing IRL by my Dr.'s orders) and they responded by saying, "You just did though! That's how you got here!" That was pretty fun.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (03-23-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Ever since my concussion a month ago (which I sustained from a tackle in a rugby match--hit my head on the ground) I have dreams about playing sports. Like every night I am either running, playing rugby, football or just doing some kind of conditioning. Half the time these dreams contain an element where I hit my head again and think, "Oh my god! I just hit my head." And then I worry for the rest of the dream about sustaining more damage, the cumulative effect of the concussions, etc.
LisaGH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (03-25-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 02:07 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've been thinking alot about dreams lately, b/c every dream I've had post morbidity has been dramatically real and weird. Everybody has had a dream that felt so real that it takes time to remind yourself it is just a dream when you wake up? I have that dream every night.

A lot of them involve going back to work; but, almost never do I dream about my last job, the one I was just replaced at two weeks ago. Instead I am almost always going back to the restaurant management industry I left 8 years ago, to places that don't exist but experiencing the kind of frustrations I remember vividly from those days. Then there are dreams that seem to take something that happened to me and replay it with different circumstances or details. It's hard to describe, but I can't help but feel my dreams are really my brain going through all my memories and testing them out or reordering them or something.

But what is consistent is that when I wake up, I have to disentangle myself from my dreams, every time. I always wake up believing that something needs done, or something bad or just odd just happened to me, or I am late to do something or go somewhere, and I have to remind myself, it's just a dream. I don't understand why my dreams are like this; premorbid, I would barely remember my dreams, and if I did they were typical ones.

I don't know, does anybody else get this kind of thing?
Scott in Fenton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:38 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Fenton View Post
I don't understand why my dreams are like this; premorbid, I would barely remember my dreams, and if I did they were typical ones.

Yes, I went through a few months of very vivid, weird dreams that were not at all like normal dreams. In my case they weren't particularly unpleasant but I know from previous threads on this that this is pretty common and for most people they usually are quite unpleasant. For me it was a phase that I recovered out of.

Sorry to hear you lost your job

At least you won't end up going back to work too early which people with PCS often do.

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Scott in Fenton (03-30-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 01:45 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Fenton View Post
I've been thinking alot about dreams lately, b/c every dream I've had post morbidity has been dramatically real and weird. Everybody has had a dream that felt so real that it takes time to remind yourself it is just a dream when you wake up? I have that dream every night.

A lot of them involve going back to work; but, almost never do I dream about my last job, the one I was just replaced at two weeks ago. Instead I am almost always going back to the restaurant management industry I left 8 years ago, to places that don't exist but experiencing the kind of frustrations I remember vividly from those days. Then there are dreams that seem to take something that happened to me and replay it with different circumstances or details. It's hard to describe, but I can't help but feel my dreams are really my brain going through all my memories and testing them out or reordering them or something.

But what is consistent is that when I wake up, I have to disentangle myself from my dreams, every time. I always wake up believing that something needs done, or something bad or just odd just happened to me, or I am late to do something or go somewhere, and I have to remind myself, it's just a dream. I don't understand why my dreams are like this; premorbid, I would barely remember my dreams, and if I did they were typical ones.

Thank you for posting this. I do have this. I have busy, busy dreams with much detail. I cannot say they are pleasant, but they are not nightmares. They certainly are interesting. I remember the dreams too well, also. I am always in some sort of "saving people or being in stressful situation, but I am able to handle it and fight back in the dreams" Wish I could do that stuff in real life <grin>. I do not sleep more than 4 hours, then continually wake up and go back to the dream, which may be why, but often I go back into the same dream I was having. I have a very hard time adjusting from dreamworld and real world, which seems to be like your experience. If I have to get up and go right away somewhere without adjustment time, I will usually goof myself up for the rest of that day.
kwaddington is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote