Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 08:09 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Menstruation and symptoms - I hate PMS but PCS more!

Hi to all the women sufferers - so I am on the mend and having days in a row that are symptom free which is so awesome! BUT every month for 10-14 days right around my period WHAMMO pcs is back like white on rice!

I got my concussion at the beginning of my period and so now I am thinking that my estrogen/progesterone levels are forever going to create functional brain probs for me.

I saw the article posted by Esther about an empirical study on the effect of hormones on pcs so any more info or anyone sharing their experience with thiss would be appreciated!
sillybrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-27-2012, 08:45 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Low progesterone is the worst time for brain injuries. It is lowest just before menstruation. There may be more complication due to the estrogen/estradiol and testosterone levels dropping, too.

There is reason to suggest that concussions are worst when they happen during this PM stage.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
sillybrain (03-28-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My periods were absent for almost 11 months after my brain injury!!! I finally just got it last week (although it was a very abnormal period for the types i normally have and barely there), but i was wiped out right before it came and during it and had an increase in my headaches during these couple days too. I figured it was just my bodies way of adjusting to finally getting it after not having it for so long. Not sure if that will happen next month as well.
Suffered a TBI with PCS on April 25th 2011 from multiple blows to the head from falling, unconscious for 12 hours with no memory of event. Hit the back of my head, and above right eye. MRI and CT negative. Symptoms included constant headaches (migraine, pressure, tension, icepicks), dizziness, tinnitus, visual changes, photophobia, fatigue, "spacing out", word finding difficulties, depression, and emotional lability.
Began Healing in November 2011 after starting acupuncture and Healing Touch (a nurturing energy therapy that promotes relaxation and pain relief). I went back to work in February 2012. Ive been symptom free since July 2012. Very happy, positive, energetic and working out every day, doing yoga, and living a normal life again!
I also began taking Healing Touch classes in November 2011 and completed 5 Levels of Healing Touch Certificate Program that included a 1 year mentorship to become a Healing Touch International Practitioner in June 2013. I am so pleased to offer this wonderful healing therapy to my patients, friends, and clients.
nightnurse30 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
sillybrain (03-28-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 11:26 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybrain View Post
Hi to all the women sufferers - so I am on the mend and having days in a row that are symptom free which is so awesome! BUT every month for 10-14 days right around my period WHAMMO pcs is back like white on rice!

I got my concussion at the beginning of my period and so now I am thinking that my estrogen/progesterone levels are forever going to create functional brain probs for me.

I saw the article posted by Esther about an empirical study on the effect of hormones on pcs so any more info or anyone sharing their experience with thiss would be appreciated!
My accident was a few days before my cycle began. I do wonder if this had some impact.
emme727 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:30 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emme727 View Post
My accident was a few days before my cycle began. I do wonder if this had some impact.
I am going through the change, but I still get periods. I have noticed my headaches, concentration and memory problems do get a lot worse during the period time.
cayla99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:42 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Dear sillybrain,

You read my mind.

I was just contemplating starting a thread on PMS. I have now been through several cycles since my concussion. The first one was horrific as far as the level of mood simply falling into the basement. I am dreading the next one since I can feel my mood already spiraling downward. It sure seems linked to hormonal and neuro-chemical changes since about a day or two into the cycle my mood goes back up.

It also doesn't seem that this low mood is touched by strategies shown to relieve depression such as exercise, light, positive self talk, meditation etc.

This has led me to think it has a very large chemical component

Thanks for bringing this topic up!! Take care.

Suffered a patient attack on Valentine's Day 2012; kicked in the head resulting in severe concussion. 50+ professional woman on leave from psych hospital job. Recovering from dizziness, nausea, sequential processing deficits, headaches, sprained neck, memory loss, mood fluctuation, fatigue, and general malaise. Treatments: MD, Neuro MD, Physical therapy, psychotherapy, medication.

"Nevertheless, I will bring health and healing to it;
I will heal my people and will let them enjoy abundant peace and security." Jer, 33:6
Laura G is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote