Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 11:03 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default PSC Recovery Years Later

I suffered several (4) concussions during my teen years playing Hockey and Rugby, and had thought my PSC recovery was more or less complete as I suffered my last concussion nearly 7 years ago (with the exception of sense of smell - it comes and goes for minutes to days). Four years ago at age 20 was the last noticeable step forward as I one day felt like a cloud had left my head - my grades in university went from C's to A's overnight. The weird thing is I didn't even realize I has a cloud until it disappeared one afternoon. I haven't noticed any changes the last 4 years until recently, as I have been experiencing a lot of vivid nemories from area of my teen years that had been lost when I got concussed. It's the most buzzard experience, and whole it is comforting to know I am regaining parts of my life I had lost, it's a little worrisome that I am experiencing this 7 years later. The last 12 or so hours have been a flood of these memories, and I am not consciously doing anything to trigger them.

Has anyone else experienced this return of memories that had been lost from concussions years down the road? I am experiencing this memories from 12-7 years ago. Currently 24 years old, so the third quarter of my life so far.
Egleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
postconcussion (03-30-2012), Soccergal (03-30-2012), xanadu00 (03-29-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (04-02-2012)

advertisement
Old 03-29-2012, 11:08 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Gotta love auto-correct - buzzard should read bizarre, sorry folks.
Egleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:49 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This is really great news! Congratulations!!

The hippocampus is an area of the brain that has a lot to do with a person's memory - it's also the only area of the brain that produces new neurons.

Encephalitis patients suffer severe memory deficits, like anterograde and retrograde amnesia which renders their lives almost meaningless and very scary for years on end (since some can't remember even one second to the next) and then after 10 years they will return to their normal selves.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote