Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 03:16 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 2 concusion 2yrs later still 24/7 pain

I am searching for my son he is now 14. He had two football injuries 8 day apart two concussions, whiplash, and his abdomen was crush trauma. He is left with his head in 24/7 pain level 8. He can't do any activity even light touch as shampooing his head or walking increase's it to a level 10 pain. He has migraines on top of this horrible pain. MRI show nothing x-ray not much. no one know why and they try to shrug it off an just treat the migraine like the rest doesn't exists because they cant see anything damaged. I am lost on where to get more help and how he can function for his life and what to do next. He has tried some medication but nothing has helped so we really are on nothing. He has done cranial sacral therapy. Any ideas??
Artistry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-29-2012, 03:51 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was in very severe pain caused by an ongoing and increasingly worse headache after the concussion I sustained in an auto accident.

M neurologist discovered I had something called increased intracranial pressure. She ordered me a spinal tap and I've been out of that severe pain and healing ever since that procedure was carried through.

It is a cyclical process and gets worse over time... the pressure inside a person's skull increases and then causes other things in the body to try to counteract it which then causes it to increase more.

I suggest you ask his neurologist or GP about whether they can measure his icp (Intracranial Pressure) with a spinal tap to see if that might be worth looking into.

I think it is a rare complication of a concussion but does happen... I only know about it because it happened to me. I think it is more common in people who have had multiple concussions - what I don't know is whether that means in a short period of time or whether it means multiple concussions over one's lifetime, but I think it's relevant since you mentioned he had two.

I'm so sorry your son has to deal with so much pain.

It could really be caused by many things.

I sincerely wish you all the best in trying to figure out what is causing him so much pain as soon as possible.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Artistry (04-02-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 09:38 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Artistry,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. I am so sorry to hear of your son's struggles. And, I know you are in a different pain as his mom.

EsthersDoll has a good point. Another issue to consider is his upper neck. The whiplash can leave him with undiagnosed upper neck injuries. A www.NUCCA.org trained chiropractor may be able to help. Most chiros do not have the training to treat the upper cervical injuries in the very precise ways they need.

A twist the head and pop the neck adjustments are often too aggressive and cause as much trauma as they try to resolve.

Some Physical Therapists have the specific but gentle skills to help, too. This kind of injury does not necessarily respond to 'range of motion' PT therapies.

On another note, have you ever consulted with an attorney? He should never have returned to play so soon after the first concussion. If he has access to resources for more in-depth diagnostics and therapy, his prognosis will improve.

I don't mean to scare you but I suggest to get aggressive in getting help for him. The adolescent brain has severe needs to functioning properly so as to properly mature through the adolescent years. It is obvious you have been improperly informed about his condition.

What state are you in? I may be able to direct you to some experts in your area.

Let us know how we can help. There are decades of experience with concussion on here.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Artistry (04-02-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Has anyone tried the hyperbaric treatments for post concussive symptoms?
Hybernating is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 PM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Artistry,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. I am so sorry to hear of your son's struggles. And, I know you are in a different pain as his mom.

EsthersDoll has a good point. Another issue to consider is his upper neck. The whiplash can leave him with undiagnosed upper neck injuries. A www.NUCCA.org trained chiropractor may be able to help. Most chiros do not have the training to treat the upper cervical injuries in the very precise ways they need.

A twist the head and pop the neck adjustments are often too aggressive and cause as much trauma as they try to resolve.

Some Physical Therapists have the specific but gentle skills to help, too. This kind of injury does not necessarily respond to 'range of motion' PT therapies.

On another note, have you ever consulted with an attorney? He should never have returned to play so soon after the first concussion. If he has access to resources for more in-depth diagnostics and therapy, his prognosis will improve.

I don't mean to scare you but I suggest to get aggressive in getting help for him. The adolescent brain has severe needs to functioning properly so as to properly mature through the adolescent years. It is obvious you have been improperly informed about his condition.

What state are you in? I may be able to direct you to some experts in your area.

Let us know how we can help. There are decades of experience with concussion on here.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:09 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I can only begin to feel your pain as we're only (LOL) 6 months into this with my 14 y/o son.

As Mark said, be aggressive! Don't be afraid to doctor shop. Keep telling each doc the ENTIRE story. Some will pick up on things another would dismiss.

The only medication that helped my son was Amitriptyline. We saw a different doctor yesterday and are scheduled to see a different chiro next week. This doc is confident new chiro will relieve many of his symptoms. And we've been referred to a Physiatrist, who manages care/pain.

I never really know what's going on in his head, but i asked him to help me fill out a very long symptom checklist and rating them. Man was I surprised! Keep a journal and take notes and take it to every appointment.

You're in my prayers, I do know how hard it is to watch your child suffer and feel just about helpless.

current symptoms: still out of school, constant headache, migrating severe headaches, vision changes, startles easily, issues w/thermal regulation, delayed pain response, trouble sleeping, struggles for words/concepts/ideas, emotional about accepting what is, behavior issues esp when mentally fatigued.

currently on no meds (except sinus meds and vitamins) and goes to vestibular therapy.
worried_mom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:31 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

So sorry to hear someone so young suffering. I have been in pain for more than two years 24/7 also. I understand your description completely. Heartbreaking.

Has he had Physical Therapy for his neck or at least been evaluated? This is the only thing that helped. Very gentle stretching and massage. When I first went to PT, I remember I was still in so much pain that only a few people had touched my head. Just having anything to help with the pain helped me turn a corner. I couldn't really tolerate any meds execept tylenol or ibuprofen.

My headache never goes away. But, it did get better long term. The main difference is that it won't stay in the 8's or 9s for as long now. First year if I did an activity it would be a 9 for days. I couldn't move my head at all. The only thing that helped me was complete rest; dark room limited computer, etc. For months and months. Now, it can be a 9 for about an hour. But it never goes under a 4 or so.

I can imagine that with two concussions it would take a long time, but I am hopeful that the headaches will at least improve. It just takes time, and It can feel like forever.
postconcussion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Soccergal (03-30-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 01:43 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsthersDoll View Post
I was in very severe pain caused by an ongoing and increasingly worse headache after the concussion I sustained in an auto accident.

M neurologist discovered I had something called increased intracranial pressure. She ordered me a spinal tap and I've been out of that severe pain and healing ever since that procedure was carried through.

It is a cyclical process and gets worse over time... the pressure inside a person's skull increases and then causes other things in the body to try to counteract it which then causes it to increase more.

I suggest you ask his neurologist or GP about whether they can measure his icp (Intracranial Pressure) with a spinal tap to see if that might be worth looking into.

I think it is a rare complication of a concussion but does happen... I only know about it because it happened to me. I think it is more common in people who have had multiple concussions - what I don't know is whether that means in a short period of time or whether it means multiple concussions over one's lifetime, but I think it's relevant since you mentioned he had two.

I'm so sorry your son has to deal with so much pain.

It could really be caused by many things.

I sincerely wish you all the best in trying to figure out what is causing him so much pain as soon as possible.
Thank you I will ask about this to both of his doctors
Old 04-02-2012, 02:00 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybernating View Post
Has anyone tried the hyperbaric treatments for post concussive symptoms?
no I haven't heard of that