Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Omega 3

Now that I got that vent out (see my last thread)...

I ran out of Omega 3 supplement about a week ago and I'm looking to buy some more tonight. I won't be able to make it to GNC, they are actually closed and I don't feel well enough to venture beyond a blocks distance. Soooo, I'm limited to the grocery store.

I'm looking for a recommendation on a brand, type and dosage (mg). I just sold my car so I have some extra cash in my pocket...I'd like to add to my vitamin regimen, too...so if any of you have suggestions for me that would be great. Explain in detail, though, don't just say anti-oxidants because I don't know what that is.

This is what I'm taking:

Vitamin C 1000mg
B12 500mcg
B-Compex 50mg
One a Day (still haven't made it to GNC to buy Mega Men)

And I was taking 1000mg of Omega 3 from GNC.

K, thanks, bye.

Nick
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've ordered this stuff a few days ago for my son and myself, can't wait to try it. It includes most all of the brain supplements I've been reading about lately from different sites, and it's all in one. Cheapest on ** :-)

Last edited by Chemar; 04-04-2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Guidelines for new members, re: links
MommaBear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 11:45 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default ERF! Anyway, it's Brain Vitale...

Brain Vitale

Are you wondering what you can do to keep your brain healthy, boost your energy and
focus and enhance your memory? Dr. Daniel Amen, New York Times bestselling author
of “Change Your Brain Change Your Life” and “Preventing Alzheimer’s” has developed
Brain Vitale, a combination of powerful antioxidants and nutrients essential in protecting
brain health. Brain Vitale contains a proprietary herbal blend of ginko biloba extract
which has been clinically proven to enhance cerebral blood flow and improve brain
function.

We recommend Brain Vitale for those looking to enhance overall brain health,
circulation, memory and concentration. This is an excellent supplement to incorporate in
your regimen to keep your brain young and healthy.

Background

Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALC) -- It is involved in cellular energy production and in
removing the toxic accumulation of fatty acids. It functions to increase energy in the
brain which helps to enhance memory and concentration. Acetyl-L-carnitine has been
most studied for its anti-aging properties and research supports the use of acetyl-l-
carnitine to slow the decline in cognition, mood, and daily function that occurs with the
progression of Alzheimer’s disease (Ref.3,4,5).

A major cause of aging is deterioration of the energy-producing components of your
cells, resulting in reduced cellular activity, the accumulation of cellular debris and
eventually cell death. ALC helps maintain cellular energy metabolism by assisting in the
transport of fat through the cell membrane and into the mitochondria within the cell,
where fats are oxidized to produce the cellular energy ATP.

ALC is found in the mitochondria and helps maintain its energetics and lowers the
increased oxidative stress associated with aging. ALC are absorbed into the bloodstream
efficiently and is effective at carrying fatty acids across the membrane into the cell where
they are burned as energy and utilized efficiently by the mitochondria. ALC also guards
against oxidative damage. Beta amyloid is a principal component of senile plaques and is
thought to be central in Alzheimer’s disease. ALC appears to exert protective effects
against beta amyloid neurotoxicity and oxidative stress.

Phosphatidyl Serine is a lipid essential to the formation of all cell membranes.
Naturally, it is found in fish, soy and white beans. It functions to increase metabolic
activity and has been shown to help prevent cognitive decline. It is a critical component
to brain health and supplemental phosphatidylserine has been shown to help prevent
Alzheimer’s disease (Ref.42)

GlyceroPhosphoCholine is a component of lecithin (a lipid) that is important in the
breakdown and removal of fats from the body. Not only does it protect the heart from

atherosclerosis by helping to remove plaques, it aids in brain function. In supplement
form it has been shown to be effective for people with neurological issues and
depression.

Inositol is a natural sugar that is considered part of the B vitamin family. It is important
in the maintenance of cell membranes, breakdown of fat, hair growth, estrogen and
insulin regulation and has been shown to modulate serotonin levels, which implicates this
nutrient as a potential mood regulator. Preliminary studies demonstrate its efficacy in
treating those with OCD, panic disorder, anxiety, depression and psychiatric disorders
(Ref.23,33,41). It also functions to neutralize free radical activity, thereby protecting
neurons and promoting brain health.

Ginkgo Biloba is an extract from the ginkgo biloba tree, native to China, which is most
recognized for its neuroprotective, antioxidant properties. It is commonly recommended
for people who have dementia, low cerebral blood flow or those experiencing cognitive
decline. It functions to improve blood flow to the brain and to protect neurons from
plaque formation. Promising research studies (see below) have reported that
supplementation with ginkgo biloba results in enhanced memory and concentration, and
therefore it is used as a preventative measure for Alzheimer’s disease. Most recently, it
was studied in children with attention-deficit disorder and was found to successfully
reduce the hyperactivity and irritability with no side effects (Ref. 1). Some side effects
associated with ginkgo biloba may include gastrointestinal distress, nausea, vomiting,
diarrhea but numerous studies have shown it to be safe (Ref. 1,2,9,14,16-17) . If you are
pregnant, on warfarin therapy, blood thinners or are taking antidepressants, consult with
your physician to see if ginkgo biloba is right for you.

Scientific Studies

Ginkgo biloba has been studied at length as a natural way to improve the cognitive
function of those with Alzheimer’s disease (Ref. 11,12) There has been promising
evidence of the effectiveness of ginkgo biloba on preventing cognitive decline (Ref. 10-
15,18,22-25,27-28,30,32,34-36,38-40), neuronal protection (Ref. 35) and reducing
neuronal plaque formation (Ref. 15). While there is continued controversy of its efficacy
(Ref. 2,6-8), there is robust evidence in the literature in support of ginkgo biloba for
enhanced circulation to the brain, protection from free radical damage and preventing the
deposition of plaques.

As a dietary supplement, take one to two capsules of Brain Vitale per day with meals or
as directed by your healthcare professional.

“The prettiest brains I have seen are those on gingko.” Dr. Daniel Amen, Making A Good
Brain Great
MommaBear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 12:27 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey nwsmith, my naturopath recommended i take this:
Nutrasea Fish Oil + D: Omega 3 to help as an anti-inflammatory and as "brain food". Take with food. Dosage, 1 teaspoon 2 times daily

So I'm on Omega 3 as well as:
- Vitamin B complex 50 (twice daily)
- Rhodiola (product by Thorne company): twice daily
- Natural Peanut butter or wheat germ for acetyl L carnitine: 2 tablespoons daily

Now off topic but another tip, I found an iPhone app called "Brain Trainer" by Lumosity. I use it when i can.
Valleybob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
emme727 (04-05-2012), SpaceCadet (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 08:44 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleybob View Post
- Natural Peanut butter or wheat germ for acetyl L carnitine: 2 tablespoons daily
In another thread, it was mentioned that peanut butter and wheat germ contain negligible amounts of acetyl l-carnitine so you may want to stick with getting it from the supplement or just eat more meat.
ConcussedJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (04-04-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Just wanted to point out if anyone still uses butter, there is a type called smart balance, with plenty of Omega 3, and b12 vitamins in it. Stores near you may or may not have it, im not entirely sure, but it may be worth it to look into?
PlasticMonkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote