Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 11:06 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Shocked Do we catch colds more often because the brain can't work the immune system?

This has never happened to me before (I think).

Caught a mean cold from the housemates 2 months ago (family w/a three year old I nanny). Combined with my post-concussion chronic pain, it was a whole new kind of cold. Getting through it was a victory- my first PCS cold.

Now less than two months later, another cold.

From the child I nanny? Someone sneezed on my salad at Panera?

No clue. I try to live a healthy lifstyle.

Anyone else run into this?

I've been reading up on sickness. Just figured I'd come here since I only have close family to talk to (housenates sometimes).

Thanks!
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-05-2012, 12:52 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I can believe that. I'vd had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since the accident, which I believe is an out-of-control I.S. The immune system basically burns itself out working too hard, and paradoxically fails to perform its actual function of fighting infection.
  • MIGRAINE HEADACHES
  • INSOMNIA
  • ANGER & SELF-CONTROL (going "Frontal")
Kenjhee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:57 AM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I bet you are catching colds through the three year old. If he spends any time in groups of children, he is bringing home all kinds of disease. When my wife did work at a school, she started coming home with colds.

Using anti-bacterial soaps and wipe also causes the immune system to get weak/lazy. This causes more illness, too.

Research shows that only children have lower immune system strength. Children who share bathrooms with siblings develop stronger immune systems and are less likely to transmit colds, etc.

The important issue for you is to keep you hands clean, especially after touching the 3 year old, and limit how often you touch your face.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 02:10 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default ....

Hey i currently just catched cold and im ill, i got it from 3 year old sisters daugther....its 3rd time in 3 months..
Ziggo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 AM #5
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I worked in a prison for 20 years and folks were amazed that I NEVER not once, not ever caught a cold/flu or virus that was going around. My secret? DONT EVER touch your face. Unless you are washing it or your glasses DONT EVER touch your face. Keep your hands clean, and wash each chance you get (dont be OCD) just be mindful. and ta da! you too can avoid what is being spread out there. Even from a 3 year old.

Most virus and bugs enter thru our nose, eyes and ears, and WE are the ones that carry them there. open a door, then rub your face, ta da you just carried that thing home. Blow a child's nose, throw away a tissue, and wash your hands! Carry wipes or sanitizer with you. Touch those thongs at the salad bar? wipe your hands before you eat.

Use a disinfectant spray around the common areas of your house if you have room mates. The TV remote is the worst offender. When I go to a hotel room, I drop that thing into a zip lock bag. UGH! people do nasty things, then pick up the remote. Spray or wipe the mouth piece to the phone, the door handles, and handles on sinks, tubs, and toilets. This will help you avoid 95% of whats floating around. Just remember that if no one else is practicing good hygiene in your home, you can either avoid it, or be the one to wash it. DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE! unless you are shaving or washing, dont do it.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Klaus (04-06-2012), Sandwalker (04-13-2012), Soccergal (04-13-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 08:39 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The child doesn't interact with other children, and is kept at home most of the time.

I wash my hands a lot.

Problem must've been touching the face.

Acne is pretty bad since the TBI, and it itches often.

Just must drink 2x the water & not touch the face, no matter what.

Thanks.
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:30 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It is said that kindergarten teachers get sick allllll of the time their first few years of teaching. After that they rarely get sick at all.
As a mother of 5, I rarely get very sick any more.

I don't know if TBIs/PCS affect immune system, but regardless, it is important to keep your immune system healthy. I drink a ton of water (carry a quart canning jar with me and drink from that). I also eat very heathy vitamin rich foods (nettles and dandelions right now -- very high in VERY good stuff for you). Play in the dirt a lot, so that your body is used to various bacterias and can build natural immunity. And wash your hands often -- especially when around children. (I also drink green tea daily and use elderberry syrup when I feel that first twinge of illness).
emme727 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:18 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I think it has to do with our levels of energy which are low. The immune system then does not have as much energy to protect us or heal us.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:33 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I don't think it affects our immunity directly, however chronic stress can weaken the immune system and a TBI is pretty stressful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
Touch those thongs at the salad bar? wipe your hands before you eat.
Next time I am touching people's thongs at the salad bar I will definitely remember to wipe my hands before I eat

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:48 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
I worked in a prison for 20 years and folks were amazed that I NEVER not once, not ever caught a cold/flu or virus that was going around. My secret? DONT EVER touch your face. Unless you are washing it or your glasses DONT EVER touch your face. Keep your hands clean, and wash each chance you get (dont be OCD) just be mindful. and ta da! you too can avoid what is being spread out there. Even from a 3 year old.

Most virus and bugs enter thru our nose, eyes and ears, and WE are the ones that carry them there. open a door, then rub your face, ta da you just carried that thing home. Blow a child's nose, throw away a tissue, and wash your hands! Carry wipes or sanitizer with you. Touch those thongs at the salad bar? wipe your hands before you eat.

Use a disinfectant spray around the common areas of your house if you have room mates. The TV remote is the worst offender. When I go to a hotel room, I drop that thing into a zip lock bag. UGH! people do nasty things, then pick up the remote. Spray or wipe the mouth piece to the phone, the door handles, and handles on sinks, tubs, and toilets. This will help you avoid 95% of whats floating around. Just remember that if no one else is practicing good hygiene in your home, you can either avoid it, or be the one to wash it. DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE! unless you are shaving or washing, dont do it.
Totally agree with this. I used to get sick more often because my wife was a teacher and always brought home germs from kids. I finally had enough and became mindful about touching my face. I had a habit of rubbing my often watery eyes (working in front of computers all day). Now I only itch my eye with my knuckle.

Simply wash your hands as soon as you get home to prevent spreading whatever germs you carried from outside into the home and resist touching your face! It works, no cold or flu for 3 years now. Just a bump or 2 on the head
Sandwalker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote