Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 06:59 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Article on Controlling Overstimulation #2

I found another great article on controlling overstimulation.

This is exactly what happens to me...the description could not fit me any better. My problem, though, is my threshold changes so much. One day I can handle a visit to the grocery store...and the next day, I can't even handle a walk around my complex. Another day...I'll have a 30 minute conversation on the phone, and another, not even 5 minutes.

I'm hoping this program that I'm in will increase my threshold...and/or teach me some good tricks to control it.

Check it out...some good information here:

http://www.givebackla.com/?p=236
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GlassHead (04-07-2012), MommaBear (04-07-2012), xanadu00 (04-07-2012)

advertisement
Old 04-07-2012, 07:37 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thatīs a pretty decent article and also the first one i read about over stimulation. This problem is especially hard for non-tbi people to understand.

I donīt even understand it yet and I am in the middle of it
GlassHead is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MommaBear (04-07-2012), SpaceCadet (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 08:36 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I found it is important to learn to recognize when you have hit your limit. There will be signs that you are hitting your limit. I have mentioned these in another thread. Getting glassy eyed, having to ask for something to be repeated, realizing you have been hearing but not understanding, rereading a line or two of text, and plenty others I can't remember right now. Overdoing it one day can result in serious struggles the next day.

So, having a 30 minute conversation on Monday can cause you to struggle to have a 5 minute conversation on Tuesday.

It can also be too many voices in the conversation.

For a reason unknown to me and anybody whose research I have read, there seems to be a system that allows one to over-exert successfully to a point far beyond normal then have a total crash the next day. This conundrum can be confusing by making you think you are getting better then you suffer a horrible crash.

It just reinforces the need for a measured recovery period. It is not about what you do on your good days. It is about how bad you dip on your bad or undisciplined days.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GlassHead (04-08-2012), SpaceCadet (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark is right...it is very important to learn your warning signs and discipline yourself to take a break...before it become too much. This is not always easy to do, especially for someone who's main symptom is easy overstimulation.

Also, I don't always get warning signs. Mine just happens in a split second...my brain shuts down without warning, literally, and my thought process stops. I can be left in that state for the rest of the day and if I'm unlucky, it will carry over for days to come. This usually happens during a conversation...even a one on one conversation.

So, not always an easy thing to do. My symptoms are really weird and happen unexpectedly. My recovery has been very complex and different than others...that's why its hard for people to understand what I'm saying and relate to me.
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:11 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I think that website has a lot of good information on it, but that it's very difficult to go through because it's organized so poorly! It can also benefit from a real edit - some parts need to be completely re-worded to be understood well. I found that site early on in my recovery, but had so much trouble deciphering it because I was doing so poorly. I still have issues with it and I'm doing a lot better now than I was.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote