Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 02:09 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Post Concussion and Unsteady floor feeling

hello everyone,

this is my first thread in a while because I have been doing much better. My anxiety has decreased significantly and i got discharged from vestibular and occupational therapy 5 days ago. However, one of the reasons I am posting this is because something happened to me on Saturday.

I was helping my aunt move into her new house and we were putting her bed frame down. We put together the frame and then we laid down those things that you put beneath beds (i think theyre called mattress supporters or whatever...it was a single bed mattress spring.) Well, I was bending down under the mattress supporter and my aunt was holding it about 4 inches over my head and dropped it by accident. it knocked me on top of the head and it freaked me out ALOT. I didn't get a headache, and it really didn't do a whole lot to me except startle me and have me freak out a little. So I don't think it re concussed me.

Anyway, the reason I named this Unsteady floor feeling is because it seems that since I have stopped the rehab, the unsteady floor feeling I used to experience has come back. it's not so much dizziness, it just feels like I am walking on a boat. My vestibular therapist says that she doesn't know if she can do a whole lot for it because she has never heard of that complaint before and she isn't even 100% that it is concussion related. I have terrible seasonal allergies which cause my nose to stuff up alot and she believes either A. This is the reason or B. I took a cruise last summer that had a lot of rockiness to it (while I had a concussion). Also there is that slight chance it is anxiety but I dont believe it is. So, does anyone have any similar experiences or ideas about what's going on?
penguinsfan7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-09-2012, 03:52 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I suggest you try to forget about it for a few days. Things will come and go and you need to let the roller-coaster happen without over-thinking it.

Sounds like you have been living a back to normal life. Try to just go with the flow.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:56 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Glad you are doing much better. My experience is not exactly as you describe, but after a year since my accident I still occasionally experience vertigo after looking up to change a light bulb, adjust a wall photo or whatever, or if I stand up too fast. For me it goes away pretty quickly so I just try to be careful in my daily activities and have learned to live with it.
What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:21 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I def experienced this in the first 8 months of my injury, but its been much better the past 3 months. It usually came on with the dizziness.

Interesting that you got a hit in the head too. I just hit my head last week on a huge metal bar in my OR setting. Its called a C-arm, part of fluoroscopy equipment to take live x-ray during procedures. its a moveable part of the equipment to look at different angles, and my back was turned for a second and i didnt realize the doctor changed the angle, so when i turned back around, i smacked the left side of my head hard off of it. I immediately got a headache, but no dizziness. I was in the middle of a case, so i couldnt leave my patient. A couple hours later, i got a little bit foggy and went home and took the next day off to rest and make sure it didnt progress into something worse. I was very fortunate that i woke up feeling great the next day and it didnt cause an issue. I have been feeling wonderful for the past 3-4 months and back to my old self with barely any symptoms, so i was very nervous i was going to have a setback with the hit to the head. Thank god!!!
Suffered a TBI with PCS on April 25th 2011 from multiple blows to the head from falling, unconscious for 12 hours with no memory of event. Hit the back of my head, and above right eye. MRI and CT negative. Symptoms included constant headaches (migraine, pressure, tension, icepicks), dizziness, tinnitus, visual changes, photophobia, fatigue, "spacing out", word finding difficulties, depression, and emotional lability.
Began Healing in November 2011 after starting acupuncture and Healing Touch (a nurturing energy therapy that promotes relaxation and pain relief). I went back to work in February 2012. Ive been symptom free since July 2012. Very happy, positive, energetic and working out every day, doing yoga, and living a normal life again!
I also began taking Healing Touch classes in November 2011 and completed 5 Levels of Healing Touch Certificate Program that included a 1 year mentorship to become a Healing Touch International Practitioner in June 2013. I am so pleased to offer this wonderful healing therapy to my patients, friends, and clients.
nightnurse30 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My husband and I call this "my own personal earthquakes". I wobble, he looks alarmed, I reach out for a wall or furniture, or just do the "startle arms" like an infant, or if he's close, he grabs me, and we go "Did you feel that? Earthquake!" and laugh. Or "Darned walls/floor/etc won't stay still!".

Having a cold or allergies can definitely kick things up, the increased pressure and irritation will magnify something you may not have realized was still there. Also, it may be worth having a doctor take a good look at your ears, if even a minor infection has settled in it could be doing this to you. I went through 7 months of room-spinning dizziness when I turned my head in certain ways because it was just assumed it was from the accident, but it was cured (gone!) accidentally when I was put on amoxicillin for something else. (Curses on every doctor who never took a good look during those 7 months!)

Unfortunately, my permanent low-level dizziness which was pre-existing, is still here. So my personal earthquakes continue.
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:09 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, I definitely have the unsteady floor feeling, sometimes it looks like the floor is going upwards as i'm walking and other times just unsteady under my feet. i try to just relax and rest. I'm currently doing vestibular therapy as well but my therapist said i have good balance and that it's not peripheral issue but a "central" issue. Again not much they can do, she told me just continue with the head and neck exercises as well as the balance stuff.
Valleybob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:23 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleybob View Post
Hi, I definitely have the unsteady floor feeling, sometimes it looks like the floor is going upwards as i'm walking and other times just unsteady under my feet. i try to just relax and rest. I'm currently doing vestibular therapy as well but my therapist said i have good balance and that it's not peripheral issue but a "central" issue. Again not much they can do, she told me just continue with the head and neck exercises as well as the balance stuff.
yeah, that is what my therapist said. She said that my balance is testing perfectly fine now, but since i bumped my head on this mattress thing, the unsteady floor feeling has slowly made its way back. No headache or fatigue. i'm just really irritated with it
penguinsfan7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote