Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 04:38 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default First Occupational Therapy Visit

Today was my first visit to the occupational therapist. I will be seeing her 2x a week for an hour each time. I will also be seeing a speech therapist 2x a week.

The appointment was wonderful but exhausting. I have homework, including keeping a pain journal (for my headaches), getting and using a pill box for my meds (sleep aid + allergy meds). I am allergic to most pain meds, so those are in a separate category. I also have to bring and use a daily planner from now on. There is something else, but I can't remember (written down in a special OT folder). We are going to develop a monthly plan of action.

She explained to me the issues that I have with speech versus written language and ASL (my best friend of 30 years is deaf). Written language and ASL are visual languages, which use different pathways than the oral language. This helps explain some of my word-finding, stuttering, speaking with starts, stops, weird phrases, backwards speaking and such. I just struggle to get the words from brain to mouth, although brain to paper (with slow time and editing) is easier. How terribly reassuring! I seem to speak in ASL style (verbally) i.e. "shirt red beautiful" (stuttering through each word) instead of "that's a beautiful red shirt."

It was explained that I have road blocks and have to find ways to work around. Thank goodness my wife was there to remember and explain things to me. Saw my doctor afterwards.

today was a huge brain drain day, especially when it followed a sugared hyper kid day yesterday. At least the doc and therapist could see me at my lowest functioning and can now see how bad it can get.

wife and mother of 5 (18, 13, 11, 7, 5)
was: design professor, farmer, and had been studying masters in herbalism and doctorate of naturopathy before accident. now: practicing patience.

What happened: Feb 5 2012 passenger in a single MVA which flipped over end and then rolled 3-4 times. Dx with moderate concussion and released. Dx with PCS a few weeks later

Dealing with: temple to temple headaches, nausea, tinnitus, extreme noise sensitivity, light sensitivity, vertigo, short term memory issues, concentration, become overwhelmed easily, word-finding, stuttering, confusion, sleep issues (falling/staying asleep), fatigue +++

Prescribed: Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Physical Therapy, and rest!!!
emme727 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (04-10-2012), Lightrail11 (04-09-2012), SpaceCadet (04-09-2012)

advertisement
Old 04-09-2012, 05:42 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. "Wonderful but exhausting" is a good place to be in recovery. It's only two months since the accident and it sounds like you are making great progress.

What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:20 PM #3
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi emme

Glad you got this kind of therapy. My son is an occupationa PTA. He loves helping people, and has been in this field for 7 years now. As a mother, I am glad he works in this medical field. Hope you get all the good help you can. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 PM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Sounds very similar to my first OT appointment. I also did the light board to gauge my visual perception and reaction time. It sounds like you were able to get past the insurance gatekeepers.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:19 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I spent most of last night with a spinning head and hugging porcelain. Was all of the activity too much?

was: design professor, farmer, and had been studying masters in herbalism and doctorate of naturopathy before accident. now: practicing patience.

What happened: Feb 5 2012 passenger in a single MVA which flipped over end and then rolled 3-4 times. Dx with moderate concussion and released. Dx with PCS a few weeks later

Dealing with: temple to temple headaches, nausea, tinnitus, extreme noise sensitivity, light sensitivity, vertigo, short term memory issues, concentration, become overwhelmed easily, word-finding, stuttering, confusion, sleep issues (falling/staying asleep), fatigue +++

Old 04-10-2012, 11:24 AM #6
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Probably.

Don't forget that over-stimulation can cause a delayed response.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
emme727 (04-11-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 07:59 PM #7
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi Emme

Sorry you had a rough night with the bowl. Not fun at all. Maybe you did over do it a bit. That kind of therapy is hard to judge when you first start. You don't know your limits yet, and the OPT is trying to find out what you can and cannot do and go from there. Hope tonight is better, rest, sleep. I hope you next appt. doesn't upset your stomach so much. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
emme727 (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 12:34 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the information.

I am an occupational therapist, though I work in mental health not neuro. Now that I am becoming employable again I am looking to change my career to work in head injury - I wish I had had an OT early on in my injury, I think it would have been a great help. The care I got was not, I feel, very helpful or evidence-based and I want to change things for the better.

If you have the time and energy I would be very interested to hear more about what the OT does with you and what you feel works or doesn't work, either on a thread or a pm.

If you don't have the time or the energy for that then that's absolutely fine - it sounds like they're working you pretty hard! Concentrate on getting better.

All the best!

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
emme727 (04-11-2012), EsthersDoll (04-11-2012), ginnie (04-11-2012), MommaBear (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 07:02 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I will start a new thread for this

"Thanks for this!" says:
Klaus (04-12-2012)