Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 08:37 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Bowen Therapy

Hi guys, has anyone ever heard of this type of therapy? I came across the article below in my research. Of course I know there's no magic cure but who knows maybe it's worth a shot.

http://www.ilindoor.com/2011/11/21/a...m-concussions/

Valleybob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-11-2012, 01:04 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Bowen Therapy sounds a lot like Active Release Technique and/or Myofacial Release.

Both can be helpful for the muscle spasming and head aches and such that result. There may be some improved blood flow from these treatments that can lessen the cognitive PCS symptoms.

Some articles suggest Bowen Therapy has resulted in full recovery from PCS. I would suggest being very cautious about thinking it can resolve all of the PCS symptoms. A concussed brain will still be sensitive to future impacts with the risk of even longer term symptoms.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:14 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Where can I get it in Los Angeles? I want to try Bowen therapy ASAP.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:32 PM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Here is a link to Bowen Therapists in California

http://bowendirectory.com/#California

Here is a link to NST, a therapy based on Bowen.

http://www.nsthealth.com/practitioners

As mentioned earlier, ART (Active Release Technique) is very similar. Here is a link of ART Therapists

http://www.activerelease.com/providerSearch.asp

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 12:24 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I found Active Release Therapy during my soccer playing days. At that time I has bad back pain and pain down the back of my legs. It was bad enough that it halted my running and kicking abilities.

Here is a good u-tube video that shows the treatment I had for the piriformus muscle. Contrary to what I heard in some of these YouTube videos, ART is not gentle and it hurts like heck! I guess it could be that I had a lot of scar tissue to break up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_dIC...e_gdata_player

The results were amazing. It took a few weeks, but was well worth it.

I now get ART on my upper back, neck/head and jaw for TMJ. The jaw treatment is very painful, but it's feeling better as a result. This is the one treatment I can count on to help me. He is quite gentle with my neck and moves it very little. Often he can reproduce my headache or nausea just by pushing on a specific area at the base of my skull. This shows that he has found the culprit.

I am quite sure this will help with my headaches and some nausea, but cure my PCS, na. Pretty sure not. But taking away other problems and pain should reduce the load on my brain.

I watched a few YouTube clips of each of the above mentioned techniques. There are similarities, but also differences. Bowen appears more gentle and similar to accupressure points.
Female, 44 years old. Several concussions over the years - the first was most severe (kicked by horse), recovered well. Last 2 concussions Oct, 2009 and were two weeks apart. I attempted to return to working 12 hrs/wk (working from home), but was unsuccessful. Currently applying for medical disability.

Primary Symptoms: dizziness, light & sound sensitivity, confusion, difficulty focusing attention, headaches, depression, exteme fatigue, some insomnia and occassional speach problems - stammer, halted speach as I try to find the word or thought and using incorrect words. Trouble focusing on conversation if there is other noise around - especially other conversations.

Soccergal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:48 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

i just had my first Bowen therapy session yesterday. I have already found it highly beneficial. It takes 3-7 days to feel the full effects, so I am reluctant to report more than that at this time.I'll try to remember to post what my thoughts are about it. The practitioner said the one session might be all I need, but he said at maximum, he doesn't think I would need more than 3 sessions total - including yesterday's session.

I've had Myofascial Release before and this treatment was nothing like that. Actually, it was quite different and its effects seem to be very different so far too and are supposed to be permanent.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for this topic, and Mark for the CA link.

I'm so used to waiting for the pain to get better that I haven't tried anything medical for a long time.

Naturally don't believe anyone can help with pain.

But after waiting so long it might be worth a try.

Interesting that you mentioned it helped. Hopefully the pain doesn't come back after a few days.
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:37 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes, I had a deep tissue massage a few weeks ago and after just a short while the pain came back.

The pain and discomfort in my body has seemed to alleviate since the first Bowen therapy and I seem to be doing better cognitively as well. Today is the second day after the treatment.

I have a second treatment tentatively scheduled for this Sunday - it depends on how well my body and brain do until then to see whether it is really needed.

So far I'm hopeful and impressed with how I feel after just one session.