Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Injury to nerves vs muscles?.....

Ok, You all seem to be some of the smartest people I know (ok at least virtually kknow) and since i can't seem to get a straight answer from the Docs, I am asking you.

First, I had Diagnostic injections for my Migraines a couple of months ago. This is where they inject your frontal/temporal area nerves with Lidocain. It completely took my pain away for approx 3 hours.

The next step was the BOTOX injections in the same frontal/temporal areas, but into the muscles not the nerves.

I received very little if any relief from that, instead had a whole lot of pain.

My question is...if the Diagnostic Injections worked into the nerves, and the Botox Injections into the muscle didn't, that means there is a problem somewhere with the nerves right?

Has anyone experienced something similar, and what was there course of treatment? Outcome?

My doctors are supposed to be discussing it, but i just want some answers.

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-11-2012, 12:52 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I don't have any personal experience but from research, I found two issues.

The diagnostic injections are to determine if the pain is in those specific nerve areas. It appears that was a positive result.

The Botox injections are more hit and miss. Some doctors are better at finding the spot than others. Some patients suggest also getting some Botox in the occipital area. Those who find it successful frequently complain about it lasting only 4 to 5 weeks rather than 3 to 4 months. Some have had as many at 50+ units of Botox to get relief. The repeat cost and discomfort make it questionable for many.

There is a nerve microsurgery that has shown to be successful. If probably would cut the nerves where the Lidocaine injections were successful. It is permanent and lasting for those who had it done successfully.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks Mark, that is a lot more of an answer than I have received from my Doctors so far. Truly appreciated!

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:04 PM #4
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Some migraines & headaches can be caused by trigger points, especially if you have other muscle pain in the neck /upperback areas.

Here's a handy interactive chart that might be helpful, if you want to check it out.
http://www.pressurepointer.com/Users1.htm
http://www.pressurepointer.com/pain_reference_chart.htm

Thumb, fingers, or small firm ball against the floor or a wall, work very well for locating & resolving TrPs if you find some.
A good PT or massage person should be knowledgeable about these too.
"Thanks for this!" says:
HeadStrong (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 05:14 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Jo*mar,
I think you are on to something! I just re-read the second link you sent, and I think the Posterior Neck muscle Trigger Points might be part of my issue.

It says:

"Migraine headaches, with pain inside the head all along one side generally result from Trigger Points in the muscles at the base of the skull. Headaches which feel like a constricting band around the head are also attributed to these muscles. In addition, these muscles can be a cause of blurred vision and pain behind the eyes".

I have both types of Headaches since the injury, and they are not very responsive to anything except the Diagnostic Injectons into the nerves so far.

I take that back, the Migraines have responded somewhat in the last week after my Propranalol was increased from 80 to 160mg. Hasn't done anything for the constant pressure/tension headache.

Thanks for the info!

"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (04-11-2012)