Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 08:13 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Is Very Loud noise considered sub-concussive shock?

I have been thinking back on my life trying to remember what all I've done to my brain. Since this is my first diagnosed concussion, it seems odd to have such lingering symptoms. I am certain I have concussed my head many times in the past, but never got diagnosed b/c I never sought treatment. Just took a lot of aspirin and shook it off.

Now I'm also thinking about very loud noise, and wondering if it's enough to be considered sub concussive shock. For example, shooting skeet w/o ear plugs. I used to shoot a lot of skeet and never used ear plugs. Before that, when I was a teenager I would go to a lot of loud heavy metal concerts. I remember one in particular, the Scorpions, made my ears ring for two days after. Would anything that loud cause concussive stress on the brain?
Scott in Fenton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Scott,
I haven't heard of this before.... Blasts can cause concussions, something about exposure to the over pressurization wave or the complex pressure wave that is generated by the blast itself.

I'm not sure about loud noises in general. It seems it would have to include significant movement of the brain (jarring) for it to occur. I could be wrong though.

I do agree that many of us have probably had prior concussions in our lives (perhaps as children) that were never diagnosed.

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Scott in Fenton (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 11:56 AM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

The cumulative effect of sub-concussive impacts has a serious impact on the brain's ability to tolerate further impacts.

The skeet shooting would have the greatest impact on the brain since the repeated shock waves from the shooting, both the sound shock waves and the recoil have a possibility to effect the brain.

Another way the brain can be compromised is by high fever or high intoxication. Strong hits to the body in sports can also contribute.

But, trying to assign rhyme or reason to PCS symptoms is difficult.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Scott in Fenton (04-12-2012)