Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 07:34 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default FANTASTIC! A NEW Symptom!

Only, it's not mine....my wife was proscribed medicine for stress today, for the first time in her life. It's helping me deal with the PCS and of course, the stupid Work Comp Machine, that has stressed her to the level her PCP decided she needs medicine. Feels great to know that, doesn't it?

It wouldn't be so bad if it was just the PCS to deal with, but the WC system and the WC doctors are what makes the situation 10 times more stressful. Not being able to know that we will be OK for the future, whether I recover or not, whether there will be a job for me when I am able to go back to work, whether we will get compensation if I can't, it's just frustrating as Hell. It shouldn't be this ridiculous for a person who gets badly injured in the line of work to be compensated. I've half a mind to turn her medicine in to the WC insurance company and demand they pay for it!

Sorry, just feeling guilty and stuff. Thanks for reading.
Scott in Fenton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (04-14-2012), Soccergal (04-13-2012), SpaceCadet (04-13-2012)

advertisement
Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I hear ya, it does cause a lot of guilty feelings. My husband gets stressed and I feel so bad, then it's obvious to him and I fear that Im making him feel like he has to hide his stress from me. Vicious cycle.

We have to remember that we did not choose to be injured. Im sure the guilty feelings do not help in our recovery. If only there was an OFF button!

Hang in there Scott.
Female, 44 years old. Several concussions over the years - the first was most severe (kicked by horse), recovered well. Last 2 concussions Oct, 2009 and were two weeks apart. I attempted to return to working 12 hrs/wk (working from home), but was unsuccessful. Currently applying for medical disability.

Primary Symptoms: dizziness, light & sound sensitivity, confusion, difficulty focusing attention, headaches, depression, exteme fatigue, some insomnia and occassional speach problems - stammer, halted speach as I try to find the word or thought and using incorrect words. Trouble focusing on conversation if there is other noise around - especially other conversations.

Soccergal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MommaBear (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:47 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Scott,

I had to read your post 3 times before I understood it. I finally figure you were being sarcastic.

I know your frustration. I was denied any Work Comp after the appeals judge decided that if I could represent myself at the appeals hearing, I can not be injured. This is despite the facts that it took me over 100 hours of work to prepare and organize my 20 minutes of presentation. I also had to present my case with my eyes closed so I could focus.

The reason I had to represent myself was simple. The California Work Comp statutes limit the fees an attorney can be awarded. The amount of work and resources that must be gambled with an injury that has been discounted due to junk science just makes it impossible to get an attorney's help.

If your state has the same limits on attorneys' fees, the problem can be the same.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Scott in Fenton (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Supposedly, MO is a pretty good state for awards...most take 25%, like our attorney does, so there aren't any limits I am aware of. Which is the only good thing, b/c if I can't go back to work, or if they say I can go to work but with such and such restrictions, I am not going to be able to compete for a job in this market. Prior to the injury I was the sole provider in a family of 4 which includes an autistic child. Hopefully my wife will be able to find something, but then again she's already stressed enough to take meds for it so.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Scott,

I had to read your post 3 times before I understood it. I finally figure you were being sarcastic.

I know your frustration. I was denied any Work Comp after the appeals judge decided that if I could represent myself at the appeals hearing, I can not be injured. This is despite the facts that it took me over 100 hours of work to prepare and organize my 20 minutes of presentation. I also had to present my case with my eyes closed so I could focus.

The reason I had to represent myself was simple. The California Work Comp statutes limit the fees an attorney can be awarded. The amount of work and resources that must be gambled with an injury that has been discounted due to junk science just makes it impossible to get an attorney's help.

If your state has the same limits on attorneys' fees, the problem can be the same.
Scott in Fenton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote