Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 08:33 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Chronic fatigue?

I was wondering if anyone else has fatigue like this, Usually a few hours after i wake up all of sudden fatigue will hit me really hard.

I'll start getting really dizzy and feel like im going to pass out and i feel really weak. Sometimes i take a nap or i just go through it till it stops.

USUALLY, not always, after the nap i feel better but there has been a couple times where i've woken up and still felt out of it.
PlasticMonkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-14-2012, 09:11 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

What things do you do first thing in the morning?

I will hit the need a nap button from 20 minutes of reading on the web. I had to stop reading the morning paper for this reason.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PlasticMonkey (04-17-2012), Soccergal (04-14-2012), SpaceCadet (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have suffered from diagnosed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since the accident. Incidence will vary amongst individuals. I currently wake up with full-on fatigue, and must lie quietly in bed, or try to go back to sleep, until the session terminates. This rarely happens before mid afternoon (today I was bedridden until 6 pm).

I have all the symptoms you describe, the fatigue, the nausea, dizziness, weakness.

My CFS used to be much worse. What could be worse? The fact that it never terminated at all. 24/7 lasting for years.
  • MIGRAINE HEADACHES
  • INSOMNIA
  • ANGER & SELF-CONTROL (going "Frontal")
Kenjhee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PlasticMonkey (04-17-2012), SpaceCadet (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 09:31 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Normally i wake up, eat breakfast and talk to my girlfriend over skype. Most of the time we message each other during the day and talk at night because she takes care of her aunt for a living, so she goes back and forth.

We're both gamers so we message while playing games usually, but about 4 hours after waking up is when the fatigue hits me, i either wait it out and continue with what we're doing or i lay down.

But after the fatigue is done, its done for the rest of the day till i go to sleep. Maybe its the games? Even though after the fatigue goes away i can stay up playin games the rest of the night just fine while on a skype call with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
What things do you do first thing in the morning?

I will hit the need a nap button from 20 minutes of reading on the web. I had to stop reading the morning paper for this reason.
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

@Kenjhee

Have you tried having your pituitary hormones checked?

Damage to the pituitary gland is a common source of chronic fatigue following TBI.

I found a good article discussion this and other subjects.

http://trevormooney.wordpress.com/ta...sion-syndrome/

Quote from article: "In the late 1990’s, Dr. Daniel Kelly observed in several patients the classic signs of pituitary failure; depression, fatigue and poor concentration (Lieberman et al. 2753)."

Maybe its worth a shot.

-GlassHead
GlassHead is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PlasticMonkey (04-17-2012), SpaceCadet (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 10:31 PM #6
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I can get fatigued in the morning from reading, etc. but once I have a nap, I can do just about anything the rest of the day. I know I have reactive hypoglycemia and wonder if it could be the cause. A drop in blood glucose can cause fatigue.

I used to check my glucose level and it could drop to 60 or below. Normal should be 80 to 90. A glucometer can be purchased for $60 to $80 plus test strips and lances. Some journaling of food intake and blood sugar levels can help to figure if it is related to blood sugar.

When I told a doctor I was doing this, at first he thought I was a hypochondriac. Then, I told him I was trying to see if it was related to fatigue and sleepiness and he agreed it made sense.

btw, Reactive hypoglycemia is a roller coaster of blood glucose after eating intense carbs with swings from 120 high to as low as 60 or even 40. 40 can be almost comatose.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PlasticMonkey (04-14-2012), SpaceCadet (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 11:57 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I would bet on the fatigue... I've been super girl all my life...the fatigue is unbelievable debilitating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
I can get fatigued in the morning from reading, etc. but once I have a nap, I can do just about anything the rest of the day. I know I have reactive hypoglycemia and wonder if it could be the cause. A drop in blood glucose can cause fatigue.

I used to check my glucose level and it could drop to 60 or below. Normal should be 80 to 90. A glucometer can be purchased for $60 to $80 plus test strips and lances. Some journaling of food intake and blood sugar levels can help to figure if it is related to blood sugar.

When I told a doctor I was doing this, at first he thought I was a hypochondriac. Then, I told him I was trying to see if it was related to fatigue and sleepiness and he agreed it made sense.

btw, Reactive hypoglycemia is a roller coaster of blood glucose after eating intense carbs with swings from 120 high to as low as 60 or even 40. 40 can be almost comatose.
Hybernating is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:45 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHead View Post
@Kenjhee

Have you tried having your pituitary hormones checked?

-GlassHead
I've considered it, of course, along with other endocrine-related trauma. I can check with my PCP and see what he thinks. One question, kind of general, how would such a deeply located gland be differentially vulnerable to a frontal injury, vs. the rest of the brain?
  • MIGRAINE HEADACHES
  • INSOMNIA
  • ANGER & SELF-CONTROL (going "Frontal")
Kenjhee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:43 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I just posted this in the other recent fatigue thread:

The fatigue I experience is just awful.

The physical fatigue I get effects my cognitive functioning and speech a great deal. Everyone can tell when I'm getting tired because I get confused and either have trouble pronouncing words or my grammar gets really horrible when I'm speaking or both.

When I first started working - the physical fatigue I felt lasted for a long time - I would work a four hour shift and would then have to rest for the entire evening and following day before I could return for another four hour shift. Now I can work a four hour shift every day M-F - but I still need to rest a great deal in the evening and I get worse as the week continues so I need to rest a lot on the weekends too.

I never had to deal with any real fatigue before the injury. I was very capable of pushing myself right through being tired. And I was rarely ever tired, I worked more than 60 hours a week regularly in a very physically and mentally demanding job and had a very clean home and car and I was very well kept too. People used to ask me where I got all my energy.

I really dislike the fatigue I have to deal with now as a result of this accident and injury and it has greatly reduced the quality of my life. The fatigue I have now distresses me a great deal. I measure my own self worth based on how productive I am and how much I can accomplish mentally and physically. So this fatigue has greatly reduced my self-image and self-esteem and makes me feel worthless.

I just applied to be a part of a study that is attempting to research the fatigue people experience after sustaining a mTBI. I believe one of the goals of the study is to try to create a scale to measure a person's fatigue and to give Doctors a better tool for determining a person's fatigue after a tbi. http://www.calbia.org/brain-injury-e...california.htm "Measuring Quality of Life"
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
HeadStrong (04-18-2012), PlasticMonkey (04-17-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 08:34 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Weird seems like today i didnt get that bad of a fatigue and i was still on the computer all day doing what i normally do.
I definitely still got it but nowhere near as bad as yesterdays and the day before.

But i did wake up with a pulled muscle in my back and it hurts pretty bad, when i lean down to pick something up with my left arm there's a really sharp pain and its hard to breathe when i'm sitting in certain ways.

For some reason i still feel really weird too, i still dont feel like myself sometimes like things in the near future still arent going to be okay. I really hate this feeling -.-

The only thing that makes me feel better is talking to my girlfriend and when i think about how early in my recovery i still am, and that i still have plenty of time to get better.

I also just now realized im saying words wrong every once in awhile, or i'll mispronounce words that i dont normally mispronounce. My grammar seems to have gotten a little worse since the accident too, but im just now realizing these symptoms so i shouldnt have much to worry about right?

Last edited by PlasticMonkey; 04-15-2012 at 09:17 PM.