Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 09:13 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Question

Does anyone have any thoughts (comments) on the French nun who was miraculously cured of PD?

Lloyd
burckle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-02-2007, 11:15 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I do, actually....

I've thought from the first time I heard of her that she had sympathetic PD symptoms, like men who have morning sickness and swollen ankles in sympathy with their pregnant wives, and like religious fanatics who develop stigmatas in hands and feet.
I'm sure she did not do this on purpose, and I know there will never be any way to prove me right, since we all of us PDers are diagnosed on symptoms only. She adored the Pope, and suffered with him. She was in such sympathy with his suffering that she imitated it, never realizing that it was hysteria and not PD that caused her symptoms.
The Pope died, and her symptoms died with him. I wish mine were hysteria too. I don't have any objection to calling her recovery a miracle if it makes people happy. But it wasn't one. What do you think??

birte
BEMM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:47 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Lightbulb the link for the msnbc article w/ photo

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17887739/site/newsweek/

in my opinion: not intended to hurt anyone, or step on toes of my friends -

I do not believe the dead Pontiff healed anyone.

I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools, and realized that man made religion
the doctrine of the catholic Church says if a baby dies before Baptism -it will die and go to purgatory, and suffer for it's sin -making Jesus sacrifice on the cross -obsolete...
and the old Roman church, had a fire sale on those loved one in the middle ages, and only the priest could pray you beloved child -etc out of this place.
this almost hell like place... for money.
if you wish to study Roman Catholicism, please do.

(no anger just my belief)

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:10 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Bravely said Tena,

Not wanting to start a riot on religion,Christianity or anything else for that matter I just need to add...when folk know that I have a faith,invariably the question " Well why hasn`t God healed you then?" follows.
My answer remains the same.My faith sustains me.It enables me to cope witih the grief that IS PARKINSON`S DISEASE. On my own I could not be as positive I am certain.
A miracle?
I cannot say whether or not miracles occur.I have seen people prayed for,and then claim to be healed. Who am I to doubt that if they believe it.For me,as I have said....my healing started within, equipping me with coping strategies, a love I cannot describe,and an unwavering belief in God.
I didn`t know about this nun,but I tend to agree with Tena.
My reason...the God I know wouldn`t select just a chosen few.If He was going to cure us ...He would cure us ALL.
I am sorry..it angers and bewilders me when priests put out the line "If you had a strong enough faith...you would be healed"
I prefer to think of it as....God can use us all...even those with broken bodies...each one of us as precious as the next.

Whoops/.Have I messed up here.

x
steffi 001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:58 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Question re: nun's "miracle"

Birte...what an interesting point of view regarding the nun's "miracle"!!!

...and Steffi...how powerful, your response to this!
You said "my healing started from within...a love you cannot describe and an unwavering belief in God."
Your God and mine seem to be one in the same...a God who does not "pick and choose" who will be healed and who will NOT be healed. I guess one could say that my perspective reverts to the "free will" teaching...that it is WE who are responsible for what happens and what does not. How many times have I heard the question, "Why did God allow this or that?" My response to this has always been that He "allows" it because to "disallow" it would be in conflict with the free will that I and others have been given. I think I am taking this a little too far, now. I usually adhere to the advice, " Do not discuss religion and politics"...and anything I've said, here, is meant only as what I, myself, believe with no intention to project nor "inflict" my beliefs on anyone...they are precisely that...MY beliefs. I found this, though, to be a very interesting topic, and I'm sure we'll read many different views about it.

Therese (aka Virginia)...still not use to using my middle name!!!
Virginia Therese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:11 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Could it be

Would a small stroke in the correct part of the brain work like Deep Brain Stimulation?This would not stop it being a miracle.I have no recognised faith.
EnglishCountryDancer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:54 PM #7
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default provocative today Lloyd!

TV preachers have not done anything for my faith in miraculous healing. I think miraculous healings are just that and it's hard to accept any that have occurred "conveniently" or "on demand."

I'm curious about her medical history and medications. There isn't much to go on....the media isn't going to provide this.

I believe in real miracles and think they occur all the time. There are a lot of people in this world to be blessed in some miraculous way every day. I picture God chuckling at all the discussion that will occur by religious leaders over this as he quietly and with great omnipotence continues as he always has - working and healing through people like you and me.

paula

I had another thought. This event is provocative by nature but also by the roads it may create. I think that is how I [personally] could use any spiritual nature that may be available from this exercise in miracle definition.

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."

Last edited by paula_w; 04-02-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: to add
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:10 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Like Tena I don't want to step on toes ...

but I find the whole thing insulting and bizarre.

Better not say anymore as I have learned never to discuss politics, religion or house prices on an internet forum

Neil.
aftermathman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:16 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Before I sign off for a couple of weeks...

I just wanted to clarify that I wasn`t in any way disagreeing with what Birte said.I think she has amazing common sense.My angle was from a totally unrelated response really to anyting other than the doctrines whicih Tena so very clearly and concisey pointed out,which put so many people off having any interest in Christianity.A totally different thing from religion.
Yeah...each time I see a tiny fingernail on a new baby I suppose I do think "miracle".
It`s a bloody miracle I`m still here after the eHopi ear candles..
just wanted to keep it light.

Love ya Birte
x
steffi 001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:22 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Therese, good one!

Therese, I think you have a good point re perhaps a stroke. Have heard of that happening.
Perhaps if she'd had a PET scan before the miracle and afterwards I wouldn't feel so sceptical as it would really be the closest we have to a clinical diagnosis of P.D.
A fellow in my capital city claims to have had M.S.A. and cured himself completely of any symptoms of a Parkinson like illness.
He makes a lot of money having written a book re his "cure" and running workshops and giving seminars. He makes me mad (that's putting it nicely!)
Unfortunately he gained access to our states Parkinsons association with a notice sent to us all, and that could have given him some sort of credibility in the eyes of some PWP.
I'm not saying the nun will be out to make a dollar from her miracle but I do find the whole thing a bit hard to swallow.
Cheers,
Lee
made it up is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote