Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Should I be worried?

I am hoping some of you may have a few answers or at least point me in the right direction. I have been experiencing a numbness/tingling feeling in my extremities and my doctor first thought it was the beta blocker i am on to help control the migraines after my injury.

Lately, i have been dealing with an increase weakness in my arms too, especially when I raise them up. This makes issues like washing my hair in the shower very hard and exhausting.

I have always been in great shape and low energy or muscle weakness was never a problem...unless I worked out too hard etc.

Anyway, the docotr ordered an MRI Cspine which I had yesterday. After looking at some of the images, the tech moved me to a newer bed, took a few more images and then asked me about my injury. he aslo asked if i had MS. I was freaked out a bit. I've never been told that was even a possibility.

I didn't even think the tech's were supposed to ask you things like that?
I was thinking more along the line of a pinch nerve somewhere.....any thoughts, or where I should look for info?

I don't know the results of the MRI yet. waiting to hear back. I am not trying to self diagnose, just would like additional info from anyone who might have experienced these symptoms too.

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The tech might have just been asking you that because they were curious why you were getting an MRI of your spine - it might not have anything to do with what he may or may not have seen on the actual image. Their experience might have led them to believe that most people who even get an MRI of the spine are people with MS. Don't worry until you hear from your Dr.

If your Dr. thinks you have MS based on the results, they will probably call you right away and order that you receive a spinal tap to test your CSF to confirm or deny it. I've been at imaging centers that were so concerned about the patients they were imaging and what was seem on them that they called the Dr.'s office right there and then! (I overheard instructions like this while I was waiting in the lobby...)

If you've had any MRI's of your skull and brain already - it probably would have showed up there and would have already been discussed as a possibility.

I had an MRI of my spine too. It showed bulging disks. And I have pinched nerves as a result of it. It was all caused by the accident I was in. I experience weakness in my arms and legs and numbness and tingling in my arms, hands and fingers too. I have the same issues when I wash my hair too. It's annoying as hell.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
HeadStrong (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 02:04 PM #3
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

[increase weakness in my arms too, especially when I raise them up
& washing my hair in the shower very hard and exhausting
]

Hi, Those symptoms make me wonder about possible TOS - You might also want to read about Thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS)
- esp if MRI shows nothing notable.

You can request a copy of the MRI report be sent to you , and that will give you time to do some research if anything shows up on it, and you'll be able to ask better questions when the dr has a follow up with you..

TOS useful info sticky thread -
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread84.html
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (04-18-2012), HeadStrong (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 07:29 PM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Jo*Mar makes a good point.

I had severe numbness with my left arm after my injury in 2001 and a similar problem a few years earlier. My chiro suggested some diagnostics for TOS. I found a physiatrist who diagnosed TOS and got me to my fabulous PT.

At the earlier time, I asked about MS. My neuro said that MS shows up on an MRI like Christmas lights. I needed PT to resolve some issues with C-6 to T-3 and related problems. This resolved the numbness.

I understand how anguishing it can be to get an MS scare. It does not look like it is worth worrying about.

Wait on your doctor's report.

As was mentioned, if it was MS, you would likely have been notified quickly.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
HeadStrong (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 08:07 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you all, you have eased my mind....I won't worry about it anymore. Also, thanks for the info on TOS, I will check it out. Big hugs!

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 08:10 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Can i have a piggy back ride instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadStrong View Post
Thank you all, you have eased my mind....I won't worry about it anymore. Also, thanks for the info on TOS, I will check it out. Big hugs!
PlasticMonkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 08:12 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

lol no prob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticMonkey View Post
Can i have a piggy back ride instead?

"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 09:49 PM #8
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I wouldn't want a monkey on my back, even if it was just a PlasticMonkey.

You walked right into that one, PlasticMonkey.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
HeadStrong (04-19-2012), SpaceCadet (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 11:03 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wow, you guys lol.

And I second (third?) that if there was anything serious like MS going on, they would have called you right away. Having anxiety myself, I've been in that situation more than once. I have always been told by the doctor or receptionist that if there was anything notable like MS or anything of that sort involved, the doctor or nurse would call.

So, relax...and enjoy life.

Nick
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
HeadStrong (04-19-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I would really like to believe this is always the case, however, mine is a workman's comp injury and I have seen delays you wouldn't believe. I have even had to go off one of my previous meds cold turkey a few days, due to a mistake.... and that particular medicine was supposed to be weaned off slowly.

There are other things that I won't go into here, but my point it that you don't get the same kind of care that you get with your own private insurance, so anythings possible.

Still no results by the way, and I did call the doc office yesterday. Hopefully that's good news. Thanks again.