Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 11:40 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Hello & Seeking Info

Hi. I am new here. I got in a car wreck about a month ago where I flipped my husband's car end over end a couple of times.

Since then, I've been having tired spells where I will suddenly feel so tired that I feel like I could fall asleep right then and there. Of course, I have two kids at home, so I can't.

I've also been having cognitive problems, for example, I am a writer, and I am missing keystrokes at times and I feel like I've lost a lot of my vocabulary skills, which saddens me to no end.

On the flipside, I seem to be more calm and laid back then I was before the accident (after I stopped taking the St. John's Wort, which seemed to make me have more of a hair-trigger temper than ever).

Is there an acronym for before the accident? Such as BTA?

Anyway, not being able to write stinks! I feel like I was having some of the cognitive issues before the accident, as I have 5 mercury fillings that I would love to have removed, but of course my insurance doesn't cover that...

I'd love to hear some stories of how people have helped themselves heal from this type of injury.

Thank you,

Womyn
Womyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-20-2012, 12:29 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Womyn,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Wow, another survivor of endo'ing a car. Glad to see you made it out alive.

The sudden fatigue is not uncommon. You are likely exerting too much effort or being over-stimulated. I can get this effect when at my computer. It is more often a morning event, usually within a few hours of waking up.

My only solution is to take a short nap. If that is not practical, you should try to identify the triggers that cause the fatigue.

If you have not already been told this, you need to be cautious about effort and stimulation. You need to rest your brain and avoid things like caffeine, MSG, artificial sweeteners, and too much artificial preservatives.

Most of us follow a vitamin and supplement regimen that includes B-12 (500 to 1000 mcgs), a B-50 complex, Omega 3's, magnesium and calcium. These will help your brain detoxify and repair.

Don't try to push through the cognitive struggles. It will be counter-productive. We all suffer these same struggles to some extent.

There are two axioms you need to know.

First, If you've seen one head injury, you've seen ONE head injury. No two will be the same in symptoms or recovery.

Second, the most common thing needed to heal is Time, Time and more Time. That time will be most productive when it includes lots of rest and quiet.

I would suggest not worrying about your amalgam fillings. The greatest risk has passed. A blood test for heavy metals will show if you have any toxicity. There are other toxins you can control like MSG, caffeine, aspartame, sucralose, alcohol, etc.

There are lots of great people here. Feel free to tell us about your struggles. We are here to help.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:56 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I would just say keep at it.
Most importantly do NOT get a second concussion!!!!!!! I cannot say this enough! I am the worst example, but I mean it, it is miserable!

I found that slowly my mind has come back to me and then it disappears again when I hit my head again, each time it takes longer and it has a worse result, but with time and the patience of others I slowly get it back.

Good luck. Sleep is important, but so is pushing yourself. At least for me, if I don't push myself every day then I feel much more depressed and selfish and I can get stuck in the selfishness and forget those around me. So, my rule is to push myself a little each day, and each day that means something different. Some days it is just going to classes and other days it means working out at the gym, but always pushing for those around me.

God Bless

Fell off a horse in late winter of 2009 blacked out for a couple seconds, had amnesia for 10 hours (still don't remember this time), had 2 CT scans, 2 MRI's, 1 MRA all negative. Since the first concussion I have continually knocked my head into different things purely by accident or from being stupid. These many concussions over a short period of time have caused
constant migraines, nausea, and dizziness/lack of balance.
Migraine triggers are:
light sensitivity (especially to florescent or bright lights)
sound sensitivity (especially to high pitched or loud sounds)
temperature sensitivity (especially to cold or extreme heat)
activity (especially if breathing increases or head is jostled)
pressure on head (sinuses, hats, headbands, sunglasses, pony-tails)
lacks or quality (food, sleep, water)
tension (stress, tight muscles, tired eyes, sickness)
Margarite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:52 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womyn View Post
Is there an acronym for before the accident? Such as BTA?
Hi and welcome. Regarding the "before the accident", clinical psychologists refer to this as "premorbid" of all things...

Assuming the medical basics were covered right after the accident, if you haven’t done so you may wish to be evaluated by a clinical neuropsychologist; they can help isolate where your cognitive deficits are and possibly recommend occupational and/or speech therapy.

Best to you as you recover.
What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:43 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

There is lots of important info on this thread for those who are new to PCS
Things you wish you'd known when you first got post-concussion syndrome.
Good Luck!

Fell off a horse in late winter of 2009 blacked out for a couple seconds, had amnesia for 10 hours (still don't remember this time), had 2 CT scans, 2 MRI's, 1 MRA all negative. Since the first concussion I have continually knocked my head into different things purely by accident or from being stupid. These many concussions over a short period of time have caused
constant migraines, nausea, and dizziness/lack of balance.
Migraine triggers are:
light sensitivity (especially to florescent or bright lights)
sound sensitivity (especially to high pitched or loud sounds)
temperature sensitivity (especially to cold or extreme heat)
activity (especially if breathing increases or head is jostled)
pressure on head (sinuses, hats, headbands, sunglasses, pony-tails)
lacks or quality (food, sleep, water)
tension (stress, tight muscles, tired eyes, sickness)
Margarite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dolfinwolf (05-07-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 12:47 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wymon,

There is a good chance that you can heal your brain. I'm in the process of putting together a list of therapies that have worked for me and many others and I'll post it on here shortly. Look for that and see if any of those interest you.

In addition to Mark in Idaho's excellent nutrition suggestions, I'd like to add in Coconut Oil and Curcumin and N-Acytal Cystein. The coconut oil possesses only the fatty acids that your brain likes so you get those in a highly concentrated solution. Curcumin with N-Acytal Cystein has been shown to dramatically reduce brain inflammation, which is an important thing to do for healing.

M
Colorrado Mike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote