Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 01:58 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Angry Long but might be worth it to some......

Ok, in my search for answers about PCS, I ran across a link that opened up a word document that happened to be a course outline on Concussions/PCS. They refer to the CDC statistics at the beginning of the course, but go on to site some pretty disturbing info toward the middle. The course is issued through:
Innovative Educational Services (WWW.CHEAPCEUS.COM)

I find it unbelievable that this info is still being taught. I thought recent attention to concussions/PCS/MTBI would have changed this way of thinking and teaching. No wonder we have issues getting the necessary treatment!

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.

Last edited by Chemar; 04-21-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: sorry but that site has copyright/ALL RIGHTS RESERVED so you cannot copy parts of it to here
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GlassHead (04-21-2012)

advertisement
Old 04-21-2012, 04:13 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Besides the fact that this page of mis-truths is the rule and not an exception,

I have two observations.

First, the URL is Cheap Continuing Education US. (CHEAPCEUS.com)

Second, This is authored by a Physical Therapist. Ignore the D of DPT. The training for Physical Therapists for MPT is not much different that DoctoratePT. It is more about status in the medical community that actual educational level.

It appears that you have excerpted a copyrighted CE course. I think this may be pushing the bounds of NT rules.

I just read another CE course (2 hours CE credit in mTBI) that had some similar errors. It mixed old wives' tales with new facts. Par for the course.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:10 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

HeadStrong,

May I suggest that when you come upon bogus information that won't help you to improve that you just stop reading it? I think you've posted a few articles now that aren't really helpful and they seem to infuriate you.

I don't think that's a wise use of your energy, which is probably limited.

Instead of trying to fight the existence of these articles by posting them for the rest of us to read - why don't you consider them a lesson for yourself to try to properly sift through what's out there. There are always going to be more articles to read and more things to do, but since you rae recovering from PCS, you really need to be able to discern what's best for you and your recovery.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:05 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi EsthersDoll
I understand your point of view, and I'm sorry if it bothered you that I posted this. But it was my understanding that this forum was a place to communicate, to share, to offer support, and from time to time to vent if that helps.

You are correct that the mistruths, misinformation and ignorant way of teaching/thinking does infuriate me, and that's exactly why I chose to post it....... to make others aware.

As I now know all too well that failure to properly diagnose mild TBI and anticipate the cognitive and behavioral issues, fuels the psychological deterioration of the person.

It's also nice to get others take on what the research shows, who knows, I may be readign into it wrong.

I am not asking anyone to agree with everything I post, just respect my right to post, even if it doesn't seem constructive to you. Thanks

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 PM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I agree with EsthersDoll.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 04-23-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM #6
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Hello HeadStrong,
if this is subject matter that you feel is relevant and has discussion value, then you have every right to post about it. The only reason your post was edited was because it had copy/paste of copyright material. But the subject matter is allowed, and can be discussed again, even if similar has already been discussed in the past. We don't limit conversation here, provided it falls within our guidelines.
If anyone else is not interested in the subject matter, then best they just move to other topics.

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (04-26-2012), HeadStrong (04-24-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadStrong View Post
Mark that was exactly my point (I don't understand why anybody would give any credibility to material authored by a Physical Therapist much less a sight called "CheapCEUS.com")

This is the crap that some Physical Therapist and other Heath Care Professionals are getting information from.

This is the last response from me on this post.
For what it's worth, my dear, most states have their valid sources for CEs posted on their web sites. There's a lot of garbage out there and you learn from the good stuff and flush the rest.
Somebody's Mom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:54 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadStrong View Post
Hi EsthersDoll
I understand your point of view, and I'm sorry if it bothered you that I posted this. But it was my understanding that this forum was a place to communicate, to share, to offer support, and from time to time to vent if that helps.

You are correct that the mistruths, misinformation and ignorant way of teaching/thinking does infuriate me, and that's exactly why I chose to post it....... to make others aware.

As I now know all too well that failure to properly diagnose mild TBI and anticipate the cognitive and behavioral issues, fuels the psychological deterioration of the person.

It's also nice to get others take on what the research shows, who knows, I may be readign into it wrong.

I am not asking anyone to agree with everything I post, just respect my right to post, even if it doesn't seem constructive to you. Thanks
I wasn't asking you to stop posting these articles because I don't want to deal with your posts about them. I am personally not bothered that you are posting these articles because I choose not to read them. I don't see how reading them can help me in any way so I choose not to read them. I am well aware of the ignorance in the world in regards to traumatic brain injury and concussions and I don't want to focus any of my limited energy on that ignorance because I don't like to get upset - I've noticed that getting upset, angry or stressed out isn't good for my own personal recovery and I'm able to discern between articles that will help me to recover and articles that have no potential to do so for myself.

I was merely suggesting that you consider the personal ramifications that you seem to experience after you put your own energy into reading them, because they seem to upset you. I am dealing with fatigue because I am recovering from a tbi. I was suggesting that if you are also suffering from fatigue or any kind of limited energy that you might want to consider choosing to expend your energy on more positive efforts since experts who do know a significant amount about recovering from a tbi have discovered that stress, anger, worry, getting upset and those types of emotions can negatively effect the brain and its recovery. I was offering you a suggestion based on what I've observed by your posts in an effort to be supportive. Your posts read like you are getting upset about these articles. Of course, It's absolutely your prerogative to get upset if you want to.

I fully respect your right to post anything you want. (As long as it's not maliciously mean or hurtful and then my respect goes right out the window!) But I don't find anything about your posts to be malicious at all.

I agree that this forum is a place to communicate about issues surrounding tbi and recovery from tbi. I hope you will respect my right to post my opinions about such things too; like I did earlier in this thread.

edit to add: that in my experience in recovering from a mTBI, I was once not able to discern what to read and what not to read, or what would be best for me to expend my limited energy on... so that's why I made the suggestion. Just in case you, or someone else who happens upon it, isn't even able to consider that aspect before reading an article like this. I hope you are able to understand my intentions were only to be supportive and not critical. And I think that just because I'm not interested in this particular subject matter, that I am still making a valid point; I am trying to help people who are dealing with serious cognitive impairments by pointing out that the option to not read the article exists. The head injury I sustained made me very suggestible and I used to click on every link I came across to my own detriment and I think it happens to a lot of people who are recovering from a traumatic brain injury. Perhaps my suggestion and advice can help some of them? I certainly wish someone had reminded me of that in the first year of my own recovery.

Last edited by EsthersDoll; 04-26-2012 at 02:11 PM.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote