Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 04:33 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Does anyone else...

...have a history of TBI as an infant, or know someone who does?

It seems like there are slightly different issues and concerns than for those who had a TBI at a much older age...not saying it's more difficult, if anything it seems like things are much easier compared to those still dealing with symptoms from a more recent injury.

I was just wondering if anyone can relate to just the feeling of not knowing what normal is, trying to compensate for effects of an injury when you don't even remember how to function normally...just the confusion and totally alone feeling. I'm not even sure how to explain it.

If not, just ignore this...
*Mystery52393* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-25-2012, 05:52 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well, my TBI was at age 18, but oddly enough I very much wonder how much the injury changed my personality (and it is a question of how much, not if). I've been described by others as having almost 2 personalities, diametric opposites, it seems. One angry, demanding, and bitter, the other calm, accomodating, and non-judgmental. I have huge problems with anger.

Age 18 is till young in a person's life, and I don't think their personality is fully formed yet. I truly wonder how things would have been had the accident not happened.
  • MIGRAINE HEADACHES
  • INSOMNIA
  • ANGER & SELF-CONTROL (going "Frontal")
Kenjhee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
*Mystery52393* (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 06:49 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Mystery,

There is no way to define normal because everybody has a different life experience.

Maybe a better question would be, What kind of issues in your life do you think are not up to normal?

The very young brain has much more chance to develop around injured areas because brain cells are still being generated. The mature brain has less chance since it is no longer generating new brain cells.

You can download and print out the TBI Survival Guide at www.tbiguide.com. Read it and highlight the issues that appear to apply.

There are plenty of ways to work-around and accommodate the various dysfunctions that result from a brain injury.

Once you understand the dysfunctions/struggles you have, post them here and we can try to help you understand how to live with them.

Many of the issues that may seem limiting can also offer an opportunity in other areas. For example, being sensitive to over-stimulation creates an opportunity to befriend and help others who have similar issues. I can tell by the look in someone's eyes that they are being overwhelmed by something. If it is a child or toddler, others may think it is a temper tantrum. I can tell the difference between a temper tantrum and the chaos of being overwhelmed.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
*Mystery52393* (04-25-2012)