Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 05-05-2012, 09:07 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default new to site

Hi
I am new here and am looking for someone to understand what I am going through!!!
I was rear ended pretty bad the end of Feb. since then I was treated by work comp. doc for buldging discs. in neck and severe non stop migraines. since I have a migraine history they just kept saying it intensified mine. They were giving me so many narcitics migraine neds and muscle relaxers I did not realize that the brain fog, falling a sleep as soon as i sat down, difficulty finding my words, and cocentrating, were anything but med related.

After 8 weeks Iasked for a second opinion and was sent to my neuro surgeon I also have a 2 level lumbar sacral fusion. he said my neck was whip lash and would be fine but was more concerened about my headaches. asked me questions about memory, recall, moods. etc... and refered me to the concussion center.

One week later I was diagnosed with post concussion syndrome with cognitive impairment and gait issues, and was sent to OT and PT therapy.

last week I had my evals there and could not believe how poorly I did on the cognitive testing. I am worse then I even realized!!! this scares me to death.

I am going into week 10 now I thought I would be back to work weeks ago and now I am begining to wonder if I will ever be able to go back!!!!

I am a Pediatric Critical Care Nurse. In this condition there is no way I can do my job not to mention the amount of meds I am taking to try to get relief for my headaches.

I am still waiting to see neuro mayme they can find the right med cocktail for my headaches!!!!

also I am dealing with work. comp issues I was on my way home from a home visit for my second job when this happened, now they want to deny my work comp. gotta love it.

I know this is long today just needed to vent and tell my story
m0m35 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-05-2012, 10:47 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

mom35,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. You found a place where plenty of others have had a similar experience. I am sorry to hear you are struggling so.

Has anybody recommended any upper cervical therapy to help with your head aches? Sometimes, an upper cervical chiropractor (NUCCA.org) can help with this. Or a PT who does gentle traction and gentle manipulations during the traction. If you are tender to the touch behind your ears, that would show an injury at C-1 and C-2. Avoid and 'twist the head and pop' chiro treatments. they are probably too aggressive for your injury.

As you recognized, getting some non-drug relief from your migraines will help to make it so you can better recognize your cognitive symptoms. Rest and quiet is the best therapy for them. Sounds like that is a tall order for a mom.

The cognitive issues you are going through are not uncommon, especially to people here.

You should find a good mTBI with whiplash attorney. You will likely get better results from a personal injury claim that WC although you are way ahead of the game with the cognitive diagnosis. It sounds like that dx came through the WC process.

Finding an PI attorney who really understands concussion/mTBI issues will be important. The cognitive issues can be problematic to get properly compensated for. There is no way anybody can set a timeline for your recovery.

You should be icing your upper neck to help with inflammation. It may help your head aches.

If you explain the cognitive and other neurological non-head ache symptoms you are struggling with, someone here should have some ideas to help you tolerate them better.

Where are you? Maybe I can find you a few attorneys to check with who likely understand the neurological issues. Knowing you have an attorney who understands mTBI can help reduce your anxiety. Anxiety is counter to recovery.

We are here for you. Let us know how we can help.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 10:22 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Welcome to Neurotalk.

I want you to know that most of us here completely understand what you're going through. You're not alone.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know when you will get better. (You probably already know that though, because you're a nurse.)

As a nurse, it might be more difficult for you to allow other people to help take care of you. Please make sure you do not overdo it, allow people to give you the care and compassion that you have given to so many others. Overdoing it can cause a setback and could delay your recovery time.

Make sure you rest as much as possible. Rest means not taxing your brain more than sitting in bed or being idle. Personally, I've been sewing and coloring. Television, radio, the internet, etc., and generally going out and doing stuff seems to overstimulate a concussed brain; having to process all that information overtaxes it and isn't good for recovery. So, take it easy.

I was in a bad auto accident that caused me to have a head injury and bulging disks too. I was originally told that I'd be ok within a few hours to a few days. Weeks later, I was told it would only be a few more weeks. It's been more than 21 months since the accident I was in and I'm still not functioning as well as I did before that fateful accident. I wasn't able to work or drive at all for over a year! But I am working again; it's only part time, but my Dr. recently told me she believes I'll be "normal" again someday - but she keeps trying to impress upon me (because I'm super impatient to be all better) that it's going to take time.

So, my point is, that you should not give up hope that you can and will return to your work, no matter how long it takes. There is a book written by a Dr. (Titled: Over My Head) who was recovering from a concussion and it took her something like five years to return, but she did it. The truth is, no one can say whether you'll be able to return or not - BUT researchers and experts all agree that the people who are the most determined to recover, the ones who are most stubborn to return to their normal levels of functioning and the ones who do not give up are the ones who make the best recoveries.

And you should know that a lot of people just randomly wake up one day all back to normal after weeks or months of having a lot of debilitating symptoms and cognitive impairments. (I'm still hoping that happens to me!)

Also, I had an ongoing severe headache that was first diagnosed as a tension headache (it was completely debilitating, so I thought that diagnosis was absurd and I got a second opinion.) The second opinion went from "status migrainosus" to "increased intracranial pressure" that I had sustained for six months before it was discovered. It was relieved with one spinal tap and I've been recovering ever since!

I know you're a nurse, but as a patient, sometimes diagnosis and treatments can seem excruciatingly slow; as can the recovery process, try to "go with the flow". Also, try not to worry about the legal affairs of the head injury. Worrying creates chemicals in the brain that aren't beneficial for healing. Remember that your number one goal is to recover. After hiring a good attorney, let them handle all that stuff.

There are a lot of threads here with good info. Many of us have a strong belief that good nutrition will help the healing brain a lot. Make sure you are taking your vitamins and minerals, omega oils and avoid MSG, caffeine, alcohol and sugar as much as possible.

EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:18 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[I have had chiro since the week of the accident but more of the aggressive type you talkede about, also heat and stim, and massage therapy. I am sarting new therapy this week with OT gor cognitve and PT for headaches and gait imbalance.
I do have an attorney who seems to be on top of everything at this point. right now he is focused on my WC and then will work on my other case. y accident was a hit and run so it just makes things even more fun. I will try the ice, but I usually use heat.
Quote:
mom35,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. You found a place where plenty of others have had a similar experience. I am sorry to hear you are struggling so.

Has anybody recommended any upper cervical therapy to help with your head aches? Sometimes, an upper cervical chiropractor (NUCCA.org) can help with this. Or a PT who does gentle traction and gentle manipulations during the traction. If you are tender to the touch behind your ears, that would show an injury at C-1 and C-2. Avoid and 'twist the head and pop' chiro treatments. they are probably too aggressive for your injury.

As you recognized, getting some non-drug relief from your migraines will help to make it so you can better recognize your cognitive symptoms. Rest and quiet is the best therapy for them. Sounds like that is a tall order for a mom.

The cognitive issues you are going through are not uncommon, especially to people here.

You should find a good mTBI with whiplash attorney. You will likely get better results from a personal injury claim that WC although you are way ahead of the game with the cognitive diagnosis. It sounds like that dx came through the WC process.

Finding an PI attorney who really understands concussion/mTBI issues will be important. The cognitive issues can be problematic to get properly compensated for. There is no way anybody can set a timeline for your recovery.

You should be icing your upper neck to help with inflammation. It may help your head aches.

If you explain the cognitive and other neurological non-head ache symptoms you are struggling with, someone here should have some ideas to help you tolerate them better.

Where are you? Maybe I can find you a few attorneys to check with who likely understand the neurological issues. Knowing you have an attorney who understands mTBI can help reduce your anxiety. Anxiety is counter to recovery.

We are here for you. Let us know how we can help.

My best to you.
m0m35 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:18 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Mom35,

I'm sorry to hear about what you are going through. I hope you will be starting to feel better soon. I'm a mom of three and a lawyer, I had my concussion two years ago and was diagnosed with PCS about a month after my concussion. I am much better than I was two years ago, but still recovering. What I've come to think is that everyone's concussion is different, depending on where you are hit etc. I've been very aggressive about finding care and increasingly open to any modality. I'll tell you what has worked for me, but your concussion may be really different than mine:

1) First, I eventually took a deep breath and surrendered to the fact that I just couldn't do as much as I could before. I stopped having expectations a bout when I "should" be better. I stopped all volunteer activities, took a 6 week medical leave and then returned part time, I used weekends to recover, not to go out. I avoided stimulation whenever I could. My husband took over all shopping, I stopped going to movies and watching TV. I stopped going as often to visit my mother. I sent my kids to a sleep away camp. I stayed home when my family went to visit relatives for Thanksgiving. I sat on the couch and let my house get dirty. I took all offers of help.
2) I started to meditate daily. I went to the library and got a book on tape by Jack Kornfield, listened to it then started meditating. This has been so helpful.
3) I went to an optomitrist, Dr. Zelinsky, trained in neuro-visual rehab, who made prismatic glasses for me. This enabled me to use the computer longer without getting a headache. I also set my computer up so that it is just black and white, I got rid of the red, green and blue.
4) I eventually discovered that I developed sleep apnea as a result of my injury so I now sleep with a c-pap machine. When I use the machine I have much more energy.
5) I cut out most processed food and lowered my refined sugar intake. If I go a couple of days of eating sugar, my headaches are much worse. I also find that I feel "out of it"
6) I take one day at a time. I try not to freak out about the future. I enjoy my good days and try not to catastrophize my bad days.
7) I was also diagnosed with TMJ, my neurologist sent me to a special dentist who has given my an orthodontic device to correct my jaw displacement as a result of the accident.

I hope some of this is helpful!
concussedlawyer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ConcussedJ (05-20-2012), EsthersDoll (05-19-2012), Marina22 (05-18-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 08:30 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by concussedlawyer View Post
Hi Mom35,

1) First, I eventually took a deep breath and surrendered to the fact that I just couldn't do as much as I could before. I stopped having expectations a bout when I "should" be better. I stopped all volunteer activities, took a 6 week medical leave and then returned part time, I used weekends to recover, not to go out. I avoided stimulation whenever I could. My husband took over all shopping, I stopped going to movies and watching TV. I stopped going as often to visit my mother. I sent my kids to a sleep away camp. I stayed home when my family went to visit relatives for Thanksgiving. I sat on the couch and let my house get dirty. I took all offers of help.

I hope some of this is helpful!
Absolutely agreed

I would add supplements
Marina22 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:56 PM #7
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Concussedlawyer,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. You appear to have found the things that the rest of us have learned to use to tolerate and recover from a concussion.

I am curious. Did you get diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea? I have Central Sleep Apnea. Mine CSA is due to inflammation in my upper neck.

If you have OSA, I wonder if you have had it for quite some time but your concussion made you much more aware of the strain it is putting on your brain function.

Have you had any diagnostic of your upper neck? Your cluster of TMJ and apnea could relate to an unresolved injury to your upper neck.

So, how are you doing now? Do you still have any lingering PCS symptoms?

Your #1 tells us that you learned the most important lesson. There are lots of other skills that can help with other lingering symptoms. The combine experience of all here can be a big help

Let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:18 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up I think you have a lot of no longer strangers who identify with you

I just started here today...I felt all alone, and surrounded by compassionate people who cn not really relate, but now as I read each story, I know I have become part of a community. I am crying because we are not alone in this. And I have not been able to cry for a very long time...so know that you have good company here
Just Judy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (05-21-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 06:47 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina22 View Post
Absolutely agreed

I would add supplements
Thanks marina22. Can you tell me what supplements you have found helpful?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:01 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hi Mark in Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Concussedlawyer,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. You appear to have found the things that the rest of us have learned to use to tolerate and recover from a concussion.

I am curious. Did you get diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea? I have Central Sleep Apnea. Mine CSA is due to inflammation in my upper neck.

If you have OSA, I wonder if you have had it for quite some time but your concussion made you much more aware of the strain it is putting on your brain function.

Have you had any diagnostic of your upper neck? Your cluster of TMJ and apnea could relate to an unresolved injury to your upper neck.

So, how are you doing now? Do you still have any lingering PCS symptoms?

Your #1 tells us that you learned the most important lesson. There are lots of other skills that can help with other lingering symptoms. The combine experience of all here can be a big help

Let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

My best to you.
Hi MarkinIdaho,

Thanks for the nice e-mail. It's interesting you ask about neck diagnostics. I've been in various PT for the last two years since the concussion-Mackenzie method, mainstream PT and Integrated Manual Therapy; but curiously no one ever x-rayed my neck. A friend recommended a NUCCA Chiro who I saw on Friday. Friday was the diagnostic day so there was a full battery of xrays. Tomorrow I start treatment and I am hopeful.
My current Neurologist is not a big fan of chiropractors for long term recovery, but the NUCCA approach looks different so I am going to try it!
Concussedlawyer