advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 07:35 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Roll Call - May 2007

Happy May Day!!

April showers bring May flowers. Well...almost. We are in the middle of a major thunderstorm right now [4/30 11:45pm], but I took this picture on Saturday as I was cleaning out our flower bed.

We're trying to get back in to the swing of real life after coming back from vacation - ughhhh.

My heel made it thru several thousand miles of walking. Actually, it was better than I expected it to be. I was to have a followup appt with the Ortho on the Friday before we left, but....there was a scheduling problem and the doctor was at a clinic 30 miles away the location I was at. So, I made a 40 mile round trip for nothing. Funny thing...I was going to cancel the appt...I guess I should of.

How 'bout the rest of y'all ~ fall out for Roll Call!

For those of you just tuning in, Roll Call is chance to introduce yourself, check-in and let everyone know how you're doing, what you're up to, to touch base...something, anything, just let us know you're still around

NT's Roll Call Time Tunnel

“We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love.” ~Mother Teresa
aklap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-01-2007, 08:17 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Greetings Everyone,

I am new to this site having joined only yesterday. I have been gluten free since Oct '06 and feeling better every day. In Feb '07 I joined BT GS/CD and there I found wonderful support and encouragement. I didn't know about this site until a couple of days ago. I am of the non-computer generation and due mostly to lifestyle, am only recently navigating this world. Terminology, information in genetics, testing procedures- all new to me too and somewhat baffling. Slowing I am plying my way through everything.

About me- I have "many arrows- none sharp." I'm a teacher by trade until a few years ago when I decided I needed a change. Currently I am part of an Organic Farmers group in Maine, bringing teas and needle felted dolls to the market. We open in a few weeks and this year I will also offer gluten free baked goods- from a dedicated gluten free kitchen.

My family is dh, ds, ddoggie and me. Ds is 17 and dx with HS (hidradenitis suppurativa) his bolis are responding well to a gluten free diet- no new boils since becoming GF in late March. Ddoggie has stopped licking her paws all day long since becoming GF in December we all sleep better too, minus the sounds of unrelenting paw licking.

Thanks for being here.
Leslie
Swuzly is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:02 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

May is turning into a beautiful month here in Tennessee. We are going to have our annual kids' party in about 2 weeks for all of the kids in the family. So I've been busy helping my daughter get ready for that.
I've been doing very well at staying GF, at least up until yesterday. I tried the carry-out from the buffet again, then had supper with friends at the Mexican restaurant. One or the other got me (probably the buffet, since all I had at the Mexican was rice) I spent most of this morning hunting bathrooms. I had started to wonder if I really was gluten sensitive, but the reaction brought it home to me loud and clear.
Hugs,
Old 05-03-2007, 09:36 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Nice to see you Al!

Welcome Leslie!

Lois, sorry to hear you're not feeling well. These tests are all within the realm of discovering exactly how cautious YOU need to be. We all go through this in establishing our varying levels of sensitivities. Take heart in that your are becoming more familiar with yourself and that the process, in the end, will only reward you with improved health.

Strapped for time this morning... will try to check in and write our update on the weekend.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:48 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have missed a few roll calls but I am still hanging around.

I have now been GF for almost 4 years. About a month ago I convinced my DH to put the dog on a GF. She is a Cairn terrier who was having neuromuscular problems. She was having difficulty getting up and walking more than a few feet. GF she is able to run although not as fast or as long as she use to. But she is getting better.

Feels like summer here - 85F and muggy - yuk.

Anne
annelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:11 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'll have to be short today as time is of the essence!

We are in the midst of recital season once again! Has it been a year already???

Tonight is the last big rehearsal and tomorrow is the big 'do'. We feel fairly well prepared.

In the midst of all of this, I continue my struggle to open my business, get all the legislation down pat so that it's all done 'properly'. And now am struggling to get my books finished and to learn Dreamweaver so that I can maintain my own internet site. Eventually I'll get it.

After 7 years, we finally have our driveway done. I'll try and take some photos. We finally have our official circle now and are no longer just driving around on our lawn. lol
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:26 PM #7
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm still popping in and out~ not much new here~

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:36 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Here! We're busy as all get out this month. C's started taking marimba lessons and he's really doing well and enjoying it. I'm thrilled to have hit upon a musical instrument that interests him and he can do (physical things rarely come easily for him).

We had talked about taking a cruise to Alaska this summer but ditched that idea and are now talking about spending some time in the San Juan Islands which are just breathtakingly beautiful.

I discovered I need to be very careful with eggs. I'm not going to necessarily eliminate them completely, but what I eat them in will be minimal (probably only storebought stuff that I eat very occasionally). I'm really rather bummed at taking something else out of my diet.

Our CSA starts up soon and I'm so excited. I love getting a big bunch of local organic veggies every week. Mmmmm. Sooooo much yummier than anything from the stores! Here's some links for finding a CSA near you:

http://www.localharvest.org/csa/
http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/pubs/csa/csa.shtml

Rachel
rachelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:23 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Everyone,
We are all doing pretty well. I went to the Celiac Walk in Baltimore on Sunday with my 2 gluten intolerant kids. It was a beautiful day and we had a nice walk. The kids enjoyed goodies from the gluten free vendors after the walk. It was the first time Eric has reintroduced both eggs and dairy in baked goods in over a year but he took some enzymes and really enjoyed a donut. We bought some to bring home. He has been doing ok with them except for being tired and falling asleep by 8pm which is unusual for him. The donuts are now gone so we will see if can stay up later--it might be the pollen which is quite bad right now.

I must say I am doing so well on my gluten, dairy, egg, soy, legume... free diet that I was not tempted by the goodies. I was able to do the whole 5K walk without ANY tingling in my legs. The only thing I ate from the vendor fair was a banana. I just had a repeat MRI of my brain, c-spine and t-spine (2 &1/2 hours long) and there has been no progression of my MS lesions and one in my C-spine is notably smaller. I see my neurologist next week and will see if he will finally admit the diet is helping.

--Judy
JudyLV is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:44 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for posting that great news, Judy. Seeing is believing .

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote