advertisement

Old 05-13-2007, 10:36 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Gluten in Meat?

I know this sounds strange, but my ds age 5 is not really able to tell me how he feels exactly and he is not eating much meat at all lately.
He's probably the healthiest kid in our County! He will gladly eat veggies including broccoli, cucumbers, carrots, lettuces of all varieties, etc and fruits particularly berries black, red, blue, those are by far his favorites.

With animals in the food chain eating grains and "feeds" made with grains, what is the likelihood that my ds is reacting to gluten in meat?

We get our Raw dairy from a farm that does feed a "feed mix" to their cows when milking them which is 2X per day. I wonder if that has any gluten in it. I'm convienced my breastmilk does, so why not a cow? (other than the more than 1 stomach thing)

We get our steak from farmers we know, the next round is not someone we know, it might not be the same.

I buy chicken from the grocery store and he is refusing to eat it most of the time. This is a pretty good indication to me that something is wrong with it now or in the past few weeks.

Any thoughts? Articles? Personal experiences?
Electra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-14-2007, 07:13 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Greetings Electra,

I, for one, believe that the grain, which currently consists of a wheat/soy blend, transfers through the meat to us. I consume a substantial amt of red meat and was having a terrible time with it since becoming GF. I began speaking with friends who are organic farmers and asked if they thought the grain could come through the meat. They said definitely- that this is their conviction for organic feed.

A few of weeks ago I went to a couple of the bigger health food markets in our area (Whole Foods and Wild Oats) and asked if they carried "grass fed" beef and lamb. They told me some interesting things.

The feeds have been changed in the past 3 or 4 years to a wheat/soy blend due to the production of ethenol. The animals are fed a grain mix 8 weeks prior to slaughter. Gluten stays in our sytem for 2-4 weeks. I don't know if it is the same for livestock. But I can tell you this- I have ben eating grass fed beef and lamb for 3 weeks now and what a difference it has made for me. Whole Foods in Maine does not carry grass fed meats, but Wild Oats does. I don't know where you are but I would say check with your individual stores and see if you can find grass fed. Or if you have a local farm you are dealing with and can purchase a side of beef or an entire cow, ask them not to feed it grains.

Turkey, chicken and all farm raised fish, unless labeled "grass fed", are also fed a wheat/soy blend feed. If pesticides, hormones and chemicals/metals can pass through to us, I am convinced gluten can too.

Leslie
Swuzly is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:19 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The more I think of it the more it makes sense.

We said, years ago, that gluten gets through breastmilk. Science said, 'nope'. But now they are saying that it does.

So, why wouldn't it get through into other animal dairy?

Also, the meat from animals fed grain is leans toward being acid. Grass fed animals lean toward being alkali. So, it could even just be an acid overload thing as well, or instead of.

I'm lucky, I found a grass feeding farmer who doesn't feed wheat, soy or corn. It does seem to have made a difference but the jury is still out because our chicken is mostly grainfed and so I don't feel our results are very clear.

Edit: just to add that my lady does not 'finish' her animals with grain. There are farmers that feed grass all the way through. You have to really look for them though. It's worth the drive, once a month, to the country to pick up your meat at the gate. Plus you get to actually talk to the farmer and see where there head is at... and how they treat their animals.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:24 AM #4
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

I don't know the answer, but I think it is worth thinking about. I know science will likely tell us NO, but science frequently changes .

As for kids not liking meat, neither of my girls have been particualry fond of meat.... unless very tender or ground.

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:36 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

We do get our beef from local farmers. I didn't talk to the most recent order and I almost don't want to know. I'll do the calling next time.
My ds will eat steak, he likes it now. But he's turning from chicken which I buy at the store.
I hate to think what I need to do to our budget to buy free range poultry at the grocery store!
I guess it's time for less meat and more veggies! My dh is the only one who verbally minds not having meat with a dinner meal.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:30 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Veeeery interesting concept. Gluten in meat. Whoda thunk it! But it does kind of make sense. Not that I WANT it too, you understand. I'm a big beef eater. But Electra's comment may be the way to go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra View Post
I guess it's time for less meat and more veggies!
Of course, there's always fish. Of course, down here in TN there's a lot of pond raised catfish. You don't suppose they feed the fish gluten, do you? If so, I'll have to stick with store bought, ocean caught fish.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:38 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

In this newsletter from Clan Thompson, Dr. Guandanlini is asked the question about gluten getting into meat. He says the amount of intact gluten is "infinitesimally small". I would like to see where he got this information.
Scroll down to #5 Ask the Doctor http://www.ymlp.com/pubarchive_show_...?celiacnews+58
Anne
annelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:52 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

As a matter of fact, they do feed farmed fish wheat.

Weird. I know. Only humans would try to stuff everything with grain.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:47 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It's a wicked conspiracy I tell you! LOL
Gluten Free Living Article all about going Whole Grain and how important it is even for Celiacs...
I mentioned it over on BT.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:04 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra View Post
I buy chicken from the grocery store and he is refusing to eat it most of the time. This is a pretty good indication to me that something is wrong with it now or in the past few weeks.

Any thoughts? Articles? Personal experiences?
Two thoughts, take'em or leave'em. According to the "Eat Right 4 Your Type," blood types B and AB are supposed to avoid chicken. (I'm not sure about your son's blood type.) The other thought is that a friend told me chickens are dusted with cornstarch so they don't stick to the packaging (I'm not sure if this is only for whole chickens or not???), and I don't know if you're also avoiding corn?

In our case, when we gave up gluten, Tom began eating meat again (which I consider a good thing). He also increased the variety of vegies that he'd eat (also a good thing).
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote