advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 09:46 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A Response From Dr. J.

I post an email to Dr.J. regarding my question from Gluten in Dairy. Here is his response this morning.

Great questions. I do believe that you are right in your thinking about the gluten consumed by dairy cattle being able to pass into their milk, at least the antibody-sized lectins of this troublesome glycoprotein should be able to. The good news for milk drinkers is that the fermentation of grains that takes place in the fore-stomach of cattle lessens the toxicity.

BUT once sensitized, the individual could certainly react to the smaller amounts that survive this process. I frequently tell people to think "peanut allergy" as far as how little of an antigen/allergen it can take to produce a reaction. As you know, avoidance is always best once we realize that we are afflicted.

Unfortunately, it is quite hard to eliminate all traces of gluten when we are consuming the flesh and products of grain fed animals, including poultry, cattle and even fish. We do have celiacs reacting to the lectins of gluten in chickens now. Ugh! But again, chickens (and farm-raised fish) are simple-stomached animals and the lack of fermentation allows more gluten into their flesh than that of cattle.

Does the grain feeding of dairy cattle potentiate casein? I think that's a great question. It certainly reduces the amount of protective omega three fatty acids in the flesh of cattle and the eggs of chickens. I think it could easily make casein different/worse but I have not checked into that.

But the main thing that we know makes casein worse is pasteurization. That's why more and more are recommending raw milk. However, that is potentially quite dangerous as some very harmful organisms can be consumed that way.

Just last week, the FDA recalled raw milk that was contaminated with Listeria, a bacteria that causes mild to severe symptoms including miscarriages. Pasteurized goat milk is the better alternative. The bad news is that the "worst of the worst" casein intolerants could even react to the 1-2%casein in goat milk as well as the other proteins that can cross-react with cow's milk.

The sad thing is that if we had never messed up God's wheat back in the mid 400's AD and not jumped ship from goat's milk to cow's milk, I don't think we would be having this discussion. But we did, didn't we?

Thanks for writing.

John
John B. Symes, D.V.M. ("Dogtor J")
Swuzly is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-22-2007, 07:26 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

A second note arrived today from Dr. J.

I do think that grain fed cows could have a more harmful casein but I have never read that proven anywhere. It just makes sense to me for the same reason that you asked the question. But, I think the casein that grass fed cows produce in their milk is bad enough. Again, goat milk...the "universal foster milk" for millennia...had only 0-2% casein. Cow milk has a whopping 80-86% casein content. So, the jump from goats to cows as the source of milk was the single biggest mistake. Then, grain-feeding and pasteurization took things to a whole new level, with the latter actually denaturing casein and turning it into a super-glue.

Also, there are numerous other proteins/glycoproteins in cow's milk that we can react to, including alpha and beta lactalbumin.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:03 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

This was good to read b/c I'm seeing my ds2 react to chicken.
Who is this Dr. J? is he a Vet?
I want more info, I'm on the edge of my seat in an OMG moment.

I'm also wanting to take my thoughts to Fasano b/c it is important for a researcher to see what is happening to the food chain and patients who are GF.

My ds2 would just assume eat a veggie diet, he has resently too. Nothing but berries from our garden one night and some lettuce leaves also from the garden.
Electra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:29 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Electra, Hi

Here's his website and he is a vet, has been for 27 years. He's working on a book

http://dogtorj.tripod.com/index.html

Look for the article titled "Food Intolerance in Animals and Man" Left side bar home page. The article is lengthy, as it is the text of a lecture from a conference and unedited, maybe 24 pages. but get through it, it's worth it.

Leslie