Old 05-31-2007, 10:10 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Gluten Sensitivity and Oats X post

This is taken from Celiac.Com web site.

New Study Shows Eating Oats Safe for Patients with Celiac Disease

Copyright © 1995-2007
Scott Adams.
Celiac.com 05/30/2007 - The results of a study recently published in the Scandanavian Journal of Gastroenterology shows that patients with celiac disease can consume oats with no risk of adverse immunological effects.

An international research team made up of doctors Tarja Kemppainen (1); Esko Janatuinen (2); Kati Holm (3); Veli-Matti Kosma (4); Markku Heikkinen (5); Markku Mäki (3); Kaija Laurila (3); Matti Uusitupa (1); Risto Julkunen (5), set out to evaluate local cellular immune response after 5 years of oat consumption by adult celiac patients.

The doctors looked at a group of 42 celiac patients who had previously participated in a 6-12 month oats intervention study.

22 of these patients already incorporated oats as part of their gluten-free diet. During the 5-year follow-up study, 10 patients who were concerned about the safety of long-term oat consumption stopped eating oats. The 12 remaining patients consumed oats for the whole 5-year period. The remaining 20 celiac patients formed the control group, and followed a strict, conventional, gluten-free diet that excluded oats.

The team conducted biopsies and counted Intraepithelial CD3, TCR (IEL) and TCR (IEL) T cells to determine corresponding densities.

No Adverse Effects for Celiac Disease Patients Who Eat Oats
The results showed no differences in the densities of CD3, IEL and IEL T cells between the oat and the control groups. The researchers concluded that the mucosa of the small intestine show no immunological response in celiac patients who consume oats over a long period of time.

Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, Volume 42, Issue 1 2007 , pages 54 - 59

Participating Institutions:

Department of Clinical Nutrition, University of Kuopio and Kuopio University Hospital. Kuopio. Finland
Department of General Medicine, Al Mafraq Hospital. Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
Medical School, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital. Tampere. Finland
Department of Pathology and Forensic Medicine, University of Kuopio and Kuopio University Hospital.
Gastroenterological Unit, Department of Medicine, Kuopio University Hospital. Finland
About the Author: Jefferson Adams is a freelance health writer who lives in San Fransisco and is a frequent author of articles for Celiac.com.

Marilyn
canoe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-31-2007, 11:07 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

However, it has also been noted that oats do cause inflammation.

Granted inflammation is not in the same category as lesions BUT maybe if they ran the tests for longer it might've turned into them.

Heck, even if it really is 'just' inflammation... Do people with damaged/sensitive guts need to add one more challenge into their lives?
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:03 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for the info, Marilyn. I avoided oats when I first went GF, but I've been reintroducing them very slowly, with apparently no problems at all. Of course, I've not been diagnosed Celiac, just gluten sensitive.
Hugs,
Old 07-08-2007, 09:08 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

I just joined NT yesterday as I was diagnosed with Parkinsonism/PD last year and someone on a British website for PD told me about NT BUT I was diagnosed with coeliac disease (how we spell it in the UK!) back in the 1970s. At the time, in my mid-20s, I was advised to avoid wheat, oats, rye, barley and all their by-products... I used to love cookies my grandmother made, called flapjacks, which were entirely of oats (with syrup and sugar!) so if it is true that coeliacs can now eat oats, guess who is going to dig out her grandmothers recipe!!! :E
brockie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:17 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Be careful! Usually there's a high amount of cross-contamination between oats and wheat. You should only eat oats that are carefully grown and stored away from wheat.
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:20 AM #6
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Most recent literature says oats are OK, but most people I know are remaining cautious.

Look for "clean" oats like McCanns Irish oats if you are going to reintroduce them, http://www.mccanns.ie/ , and watch closely for any symptoms.

Some people don't do well with any grains, and of course, some people may also have a separate sensitivity to oats. This is one of those sort of grayish areas.... that they continue to study.

You can search PubMed for a review of the literature~
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...d=&cmd_current=

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:22 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

You may wish to check out this site as a source of GF oats in the US. 4 of the family members are celiacs.
http://www.glutenfreeoats.com/

Marilyn
canoe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote