advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 03:59 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question a question --

Can you tell me, if someone has Celiac disease, can they still take vitamin C? or for some reason would that be a bad idea? like it might be painful, or something.

Thanks --

Looking forward.

advertisement
Old 07-18-2007, 07:16 PM #2
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It's a thought provoking question. I don't think I have ever heard that someone with celiac disease should not take vitamin C.

Vitamin C can be rough on the stomach, though, so I suppose it follows that someone with celiac disease might be even more sensitive. Although by definition, celiac disease affects the small intestines... it can do damage throughout the body. Gluten sensitivity is also known to cause lymphocytic gastritis....and those with celiac disease often have trouble eating anything without distress until they have healed up some. I've heard that aloe vera juice can be helpful in healing, for example.

I'd imagine one should take vitamin C with food (?), and cut back back if they notice unpleasant symptoms...and try again after they have had 6-12 months to heal? I'd imagine some forms of vitamin C are easier to tolerate, too. I've heard of buffered C, for example.

I'm guessing here, really! My opinion here would be that it is ok to take unless not tolerated, but that would be an individual thing.

I haven't had a chance to look through these recently, but maybe you will find some more info among these links:
Nutritional Assessment for the Newly Diagnosed

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:32 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Thank you, JCC.

I'll go to the link you provided. I appreciate it.

I failed in my original question to explain why I wanted to know.

I did a web page quite some time ago on Magnesium after I learned that it was nearly as hard to absorb as vitamin B12. I read, while doing research, that in order for our bodies to use magnesium that we take as a supplement, we have to have sufficient gastric acid... and failing that, that we should take it with hydrochloric acid or vitamin C.

I would guess that vitamin C works because it is ascorbic acid.

Well, off to read from the link you so kindly provided.

Here's the link to my magnesium page, "Foods-Containing-Magnesium":
http://www.health-boundaries-bite.co...Magnesium.html
Old 07-18-2007, 07:45 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccglutenfree View Post
Well, that wasn't as "conclusive" as I'd hoped.

The one article suggested vitamin C, another did not.

The one article suggested a lot of calcium supplementation, and not as much magnesium....

I'm not surprised that there's so much lee way... so much disparity... it seems as if in most things experts are not in total agreement.

So it goes.

Have you personally any experience with vitamin C and magnesium???
Old 07-18-2007, 10:30 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My daughter throws up when I give her vitamin C... so I haven't done it in a long time. Some people do have a citric acid sensitivity... it seems fairly common in gluten sensitive people. Like Cara said though, it might just be a time healing gut thing.

I know that I seem to require magnesium more than calcium. I've not isolated why but I've tested and retested myself and I just do better when I'm supplementing it. Of course, it's pretty clear that I had a fair amount of malabsorptive damage going on previous to going gluten (and other things) free.

I think there's such a wide range of possibilities with professionals because there is such a wide range of people with different requirements and reactions.

For example, I do so *much* better with evening primrose oil on so many levels. But two other women I know with the same types of symptoms I have, do worse on it. It's all very individual and leaves people in a state of unbalance because they don't know what to do. It's a real conundrum.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:12 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Hi KimS,

What an interesting answer... especially on the level of individuality.

It's so important, I think, for people to get to know themselves.

I was so lucky my neurologist told me to keep a Time Line. I saw him because of the B12 deficiency nerve damage I had.

By means of the Time Line I was able to look back and see what I had experienced.

It sounds so strange to say that... but there is a tendency, at least with me, to remember things not as accurately as a written record.

Oh dear, I don't think I'm writing clearly.

The other thing I wanted to mention/ask about was when Cara said that buffered vitamin C might be better...

does that mean with magnesium?

I just recently learned that "buffered" aspirin is aspirin to which there has been added magnesium.

so does anything that's "buffered" have magnesium added to it?????
Old 07-19-2007, 12:02 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'd have to go look what they use to "buffer" C. I just remember noting they have it, and I considered it because my daughter was having trouble tolerating C, but she was taking a lot at the time.

Her integrative medicine doctor suggested 1-3 grams of C twice a day, right up to the point of slight softening of the stool..morning and night. He liked magnesium glycinate as being most absorbable... 500-600mg for her. I think we settled on 1 gram daily of C because that is all she seemed to tolerate.

I googled buffered C, and pulled this up from the Whole Foods site~ looks like they may buffer it with different things. We never tried the buffered C. I had bought chewable C thinking she'd be more likely to take it, but she didn't like the flavor and I think I later read it could be bad for dental enamel... and she already had problems there. I remembered thinking "next time"... we'd try buffered.

Quote:
Buffered versions of vitamin C are also commonly available. These buffered forms usually combine vitamin C with minerals like calcium, magnesium, or potassium. Buffered vitamin C may be helpful for individuals who have stomach sensitivity, or who are taking higher doses of the supplement.
Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:23 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

That's really interesting. Thank you.

So magnesium is one of the things used.

I started looking at different magnesium tablets tonight... and got overwhelmed. I keep forgetting which is the kind I'm looking for... Maybe tomorrow when I'm not tired (and especially if I get some of the court stuff done) I may be able to better remember "glycinate"

I hope so

I am very interested to know if she would have more tolerance for C if she took it with magnesium... If you ever happen to try the two together... and you remember this thread...

that seems like a long shot.

I sure wish my memory worked better. I think (but I'm not sure) that I read somewhere very recently that a small amount of vitamin C (not a tiny amount, more like the amount your doctor recommended for your daughter) or a small amount of hydrochloric acid could keep h.pylori and other bacteria from settling in to our stomach linings...

h.pylori ... I need to do an h.pylori illustration for my B12 history page... and then maybe I'll remember it better... but I think that once it settles in, then the parietal cells that are supposed to make Intrinsic Factor cease to do that... and then B12 in food can no longer be absorbed...

But see, I don't remember clearly.

What amazes me is, that sounds like something we should all know. It sounds so basic. It startles me that I only just learned it... (if in fact I remember it correctly -- but I do think that's the gist of it.)
Old 07-20-2007, 07:24 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsiderThis View Post
that seems like a long shot.
When we first considered diet to be my son's issue five years ago, it really seemed like a long shot too... His turnaround was absolutely profound!

Just shows that even the most unlikely think is really worth giving a try... (as long as you can be sure it won't hurt you... It took me a long time to really feel sure that eliminating foods from the diet longterm would not be harmful - glad I finally wrapped my brain around it though.)
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:35 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Thank you KimS.

Because I have meals brought in, I eat everything right now, but with a large helping of brown rice at least a couple days a week.

And I'm taking probiotics because I don't have a fridge (solar can't really handle a regular fridge) and I think to regularly eat yogurt you'd need to keep it refrigerated.

And so far I'm doing quite well.

I think that for me as long as I have a lot of rice pretty frequently that my body can do pretty well.

And of course I have masses of vitamin B12.

Thank you.