Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 11-24-2007, 10:19 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default New Member 1st post/ 1-down and 1 to go

I have been lurking here for a while to learn all I could about TOS. I was diagnosed 4/19/07 with bi-lateral carpal tunnel and TOS by my Orthopedic Surgeon in Tyler Tx. My hands had been going numb at night for 7 or 8 years and finally got to the point of constant numbness, so I finally went to see a doctor. He did carpal tunnel release on left hand 5/25 and right hand on 6/18. everything was good for about a month then my hands started doing it again so he sends me to Dallas for a very intense nerve conduction study and then to Dr. Harold Urschel of Baylor Medical Center. Dr. Urschel said the study showed my Ulnar Nerve conduction velocity was 44 m/sec in left hand and 48 m/sec in right, basically I have severe nerve compression in my Thoracic Outlet and must have rib resections. I had the left side done 10/10 at Baylor and was released 10/12 I was not looking forward to the surgery after reading some things here but I didn't think it was really that bad, my wife is amazed at how fast I have recovered, as a matter of fact, we went to the Texas State Fair on 10/19. So far symptoms are gone and I am having the right side done 11/28. Something that is weird though with the colder weather lately my left hand that has been fixed is just a warm as could be and my right hand is ICE COLD Well good luck to everyone
romotx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-24-2007, 12:58 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Nice to hear you are recovering well. It's good to hear that kind of news.
Just a caution about overdoing too soon even when you are doing so well.
Some have had accidents or other things happened that gave them a set back, so please be very cautious during this healing time.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:55 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Yes, I like to hear your good results, but take everything slowly to avoid scar tissue.

Did they find any vascular / vein blockage in your case? I am wondering, because I have not yet met a man who is 100% neurogenic, (as are most of the women.)

I think the vascular cases have very good prognoses and hope you have a good positive attitude, (which I sense.)

I wish you continued good success, and remember that your health is #1 and don't let anyone push you to screw it up in anyway.

Have some great holidays...
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:54 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Great to hear good news! Good luck with the next rib resection. Hope it goes as well as the first!
mtnmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote